FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wisdom teeth advice - Feeling Better but Squicked

Author Topic: Wisdom teeth advice - Feeling Better but Squicked
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I got all four out this morning. Surgery went fine, no complications. Except one.

I have not stopped bleeding since I came to. That's over 14 hours now. I'm afraid to go to bed still bleeding. If nothing else, it'll make from some very messy pilowcases.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm at my wit's end here. I'm tired, hungry, hurting, and bleeding with no end in sight.

[ March 18, 2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Define "bleeding."

Oozing a bit? Soaking a gauze pad every few minutes?

Also, didn't the oral surgeon give you a sheet of instructions? Does it mention any suggestions of how to stop bleeding?

When I had my last two wisdom teeth yanked a few months ago, it took a few hours for the bleeding to stop, but what your describing sounds much worse. [Frown]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard about using sugar (John Doe, the television series) for stopping bleeding, and also using cayenne (herbal books years ago). [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Squickiness warning....

Gaze roll/pad needs changing about every half half hour to 45 minutes. This includes saliva, which accounts for half the gooiness, give or take.

I had a slurpee earlier, because I hadn't eaten since last night and my blood sugar was getting dangerously low, but aside from that, I've been sipping only enough liquid to keep myself from going insane. Trying to dry out my mouth and all.

And unless my mother still has it, nope, no sheet.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It's been 14 hours and you have to change the gauze more often than once an hour? [Eek!]

Ok, I would think, layperson though I am, that is a strong indication of a problem. Does the surgeon have an answering service?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, sur-- I mean, Google says! Maybe I'm wrong. (Although it still seems like heavy bleeding after so long.)

From here:
quote:
Bleeding is expected post operatively and can continue up to 10 hours after any procedure. Even a little blood seems like a lot in the mouth due to a mixture with saliva. Saliva can increase what appears to be high concentrations of blood by 10 times. Pressure on the surgical site is most important for bleeding control. If sutures were placed at the time of the surgery, pressure will almost always stop bleeding. A tea bag wrapped in a piece of gauze is also helpful. The tannic acid in the tea constricts tiny blood vessels in the wound and helps to form a clot.

I had forgotten about the tea bag thing! That was strongly recommended by my oral surgeon.
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
When you had the slurpee, you didn't use a straw did you? DON'T use a straw to drink until you're healed up! ok?

About the bleeding, Rivka's right, does the surgeon have an answering service. I think when I was little and my teeth fell out and would bleed a mild baking soda and warm water solution helped.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

OOh, that sounds even better...
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

No sutures. No straw, either. I used a small spoon.

I'm going to try the teabag thing.

*whine* And now I'm starting to feel nauseous.

rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, and mimsies is right. Straws are VERY bad for the first couple days. Yank those little blood clots right out.

Can make you end up with "dry" sockets. *shudder*

mimsies
Member # 7418

quote:
*whine* And now I'm starting to feel nauseous.

Hmmm make it peppermint tea if you have it then *(((((HUG))))))* Can you have some applesauce or broth? that might help settle your tummy. (I am SUCH a MOM!)
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

It's okay, I need a mom right now. Thank God I have one here with me. [Smile]

Nausea passed quickly, but I'm shaky. probaby the lack of food again. I think the bleeding may have slowed, too. Enough that I'll be okay sleeping (in the same room as my mum).

Good night Hatrack, and thank you.

[ March 16, 2005, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Good night, and feel better!
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't really have much to add, though I hope you get better.

I do have a cool wisdom teeth story though.

When I had mine removed, I found out that I had five, not four wisdom teeth. The doctor told me thaty less than one percent of the human population has five wisdom teeth.

It gets better.

I told this to my history teacher, and he told me that he had had six, and that by having more wisdom teeth, it means we're more neanderthal then most people, since as neanderthals evolved into homo sapiens they lost the extra teeth that he and I had.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

niters
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Ick. And aww. And OUCH. [Frown]

I feel your pain. Even thinking about wisdom teeth makes my mouth ache - I ended up having to stay overnight in hospital when I had mine out, even though I was meant to go home the same day. The bleeding didn't stop for ages, but I can't remember what they did about it, sorry. I did have gauze pads in my mouth for at least that day and the next, though. At least you're coherent enough to sit up and type. [Smile] I couldn't do... anything, really.

Do everything you can to avoid dry sockets. I had one, and man. I had two weeks off uni. I didn't use straws, but that was because it was too painful. I'm such a baby!

Look on the bright side - you'll only have to go through it this once. Good luck.

>_<

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I need mine out. They're really starting to aggrivate my TMJ, and they're pushing my nicely corrected teeth out of alignment. I can't afford it, though. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're feeling somewhat better, Eaquae Legit. Hope you wake up feeling completely better.

Andrew had his bottom ones out in mid-January. A couple of weeks ago, he came to bed and told me that he had just gotten a walnut out of his mouth hole. He seemed very relieved, so I asked him how long it had been in there. THREE DAYS!

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the straw advice, I can highly recommend that you don't play any brass or woodwind musical instruments for awhile. That's another source of self-inflicted dry socket.

I hope the teabag helps the bleeding stop.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Ali*

I hope it's all stopped bleeding now and that everything is okay

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I hope you're feeling better. I need to get my last 2 wisdom teeth taken out so that I can *finally* get braces put on, but I've been putting it off for over a year because the other ones were so bad. I had a lot of bleeding as well, and a tea bag helped. For me it wasn't so much the pain, it was that the painkillers made me soooo sick for almost a week.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used a teabag, and I found it very effective as a bleeding-stopper. It stained my hand brown, though (I was holding it on my gum under my lower lip when I had a skin graft).
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to keep pressure on the gauze pads, too. Bite down on them a little, even if it hurts like heck.

My brother and I got ours out at the same time. He was up walking around and eating a few hours later. I was practically bedridden for two days. So I guess it just affects different people in different ways. I think you'll be fine. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did you have to have a skin graft Teshi?

[ March 16, 2005, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm sorry. Do follow all the advice about preventing dry sockets, however - you DO NOT want one of those.

I got two when my wisdom teeth were out.

Not fun. NOt fun at all.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

My mum caled the surgeon today, and he said I wasn't about to die.

I'm still bleeding, but it's better. I never want to see gauze again for the rest of my life. Yuck. I'm having another slurpee now, and I'm going to try the teabag next.

I can handle the pain, it doesn't hurt too bad. The bleeding is just so *annoying*, though.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait until you start spitting out bone fragments.

Won't hurt at all, but it'll be a little odd.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

[Angst] x100

You'd better not be telling me I'm going to be spitting bone fragments!!

If that is what happened to you, you have my sympathy, respect, and a prize for the squickiest thing I can think of right now.

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Why did you have to have a skin graft Teshi?
Not a terribly exciting story.

I have braces. (Yes, yes, I know, how old am I? It causes me no end of people treating me like I'm thirteen, and rather massive gaps in my teeth that look like I am frequently involved in barfights [Cry] ) Before I could get them, my orthodontist told me that the gum of my lower teeth needed to be strenthened, because, although healthy ( [Big Grin] ) it was too narrow to handle the stress of foreign objects.

So I had to get a skin graft. It was a very interesting experience (warning, gory details follow). They numbed me up and while I stared at the ceiling and thought, "this is the weirdest thing ever", they sliced a bit of skin off the top of my mouth.

They whisked it away (wouldn't let me see it, darn them) and then proceeded to (this is gross) scrape away what there was of my lower gum (ew) and stitch on the new bit. Ever had anyone visible sewing with a needle and thread in your mouth where you can see? I have no idea why I was so passive. At the time I thought it was hilarious. No, they used no drugs, I was awake normally the whole time.

During the next day at school, the graft started bleeding. Blood all over my lips. I looked, once again, like I'd been in a barfight. I was supposed to rinse my mouth with salt water- instead, I ended up spitting blood.

I went home and tea bag was applied.

That is my story. Not very dramatic, but certainly, it's one of the most exciting things in this area of life that has ever happened to me. The only surgery or health-related-help I've ever had is in my mouth.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Your doctor should have covered that if it applies to you.

My doc left the cuts open and told me that splinters of bone would work themselves out over the course of two months or so.

It's not painful, nor is it particularly messy...it's just annoying.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Okay, so another question. How would I tell if I have a "dry socket"? All the stuff I've read says "acute pain" is one of the symptoms, but frankly my whole mouth fits that description right now.

I am such a big suck about this. I cannot stand the thought of anyone poking around in my mouth, or worse, needing to do so. It rates extremely high on my personal Squicky Scale.

TMedina
Member # 6649

I'm not trying to squick you out here, but:

Page 1.

The four pages I pulled up all mention a time delay of several days, so I wouldn't worry for at least a day or two before considering the "what went wrong" scenarios.

-Trevor

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait until you start spitting out bone fragments.
I've had well over half a dozen orthodontic surgeries and not once have I spat out bone fragments.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor - The chunk of bone that came out hurt worse than the initial pain.

Eaquae Legit - The nausea may be caused by the painkillers, especially if taken on an empty stomach. Narcotics (hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc.) can cause mild nausea. Ibuprofen (either combined with narcotics or by itself) is even worse, at least in my experience. I would suggest being reasonably full (but not stuffed) to start with, or taking them about five minutes before eating. Oatmeal and mashed potatoes are both soft and filling. The caffeine from the tea bags might also be a culprit.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
They whisked it away (wouldn't let me see it, darn them) and then proceeded to (this is gross) scrape away what there was of my lower gum (ew) and stitch on the new bit. Ever had anyone visible sewing with a needle and thread in your mouth where you can see? I have no idea why I was so passive. At the time I thought it was hilarious. No, they used no drugs, I was awake normally the whole time.
And once again I'm reminded of why I like you so much.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Why? Because I thought my skin graft was funny? I think I must have been in weird shock.

However, I was similarly optimistic about my wisdom/other teeth removal. Although that time I could attribute it to the fact I was asleep for the operation.

O.o

When I was writing it I actually thought it was pretty... graphic. Hence the "ew".

Noemon
Member # 1115

Nah--more because you were irritated that you didn't get to see the piece they'd removed.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
When I was writing it I actually thought it was pretty... graphic. Hence the "ew".
Really? Huh. It didn't seem especially graphic at all.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Nah, Danzig. I have an annoying gift for not being affected much by painkillers. You have to go pretty extreme before I have a reaction, and more still before I have any side effects. The norm for a headache runs to three Tylenol-1s or 3-4 regular ibuprofen. Generally on an empty stomach, since when it hurts like that, I have no appetite.

*shrug* It seems like my body just doesn't like drugs. This was actually the second attempt at removing my teeth. The first time was just in my dentist's office, and I was given a nice "happy" cocktail of drugs that weren't supposed to knock me out, just make me reeeally not care for two or three hours. I was up within 10-15 minutes, and back down in another 15. 10 minutes after that, I could have driven home, no problem. The nitrous oxide they started me on yesterday had no effect at all.

[Dont Know] I'm just weird. Sometimes it's nice (rare to get side effects) and most of the time it's frustrating (I don't like dumping that much drugs into my body), and occasionally it's terror-inducing, when you fear youwon't go under and have to be conscious for surgery, etc.

Anyway. I very carefully nibbled a few crackers and had some applesauce when my stomach calmed back down, and that helped a lot. Woo! On the road to recovery...

TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry guys - when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, the doc told me I'd be having splinters of bone coming out and he was right.

It didn't hurt and the largest was maybe half an inch long.

As your own stories would indicate, not everyone has the same experience.

I hope yours works out well, Legit.

-Trevor

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Nah--more because you were irritated that you didn't get to see the piece they'd removed.
Yeah, that still annoys me. All I caught was a flash of red.
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
CalvinMaker - I have six wisdom teeth as well. I still remember my dentist's reaction when he first noticed it on the Xrays.

Actually, I also have to go two of my wisdom teeth out now - my lower ones - and I'm really nervous about it, because they're both near (unusually near) my facial nerves. I've been putting it off because of that, but I really have to get it taken care of.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't supposed to use a straw? Huh. I probably wasn't supposed to be eating solid food that day either, come to think of it.

Oops. But hey - no harm, no foul. Thinking back, I also didn't bleed. Or hurt. Weird.

Moral of the post: Sorry, I have no helpful advice.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I was drinking through straws and having popcorn. BIG MISTAKE. I got what I deserved, since I was fairly warned, and got a dry socket.

And yes, I was spitting out teeth fragments.

[ March 17, 2005, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

[Angst]

I very carefully felt around today, and there's boen where there shoudln't be! In the back behind my second molar on the right. I am so freaked out, I don't know if I'll make it till tomorrow to call the surgeon.

*such a baby about all this*

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
EL, not sure what you're feeling but it may be a piece of the tooth that's lodged in, the "bone fragments" mentioned above. It's very common after extractions to feel like there's something there, it's normally a tiny sliver that will work its way up to the surface and you'll be able to get it out (tweezers help).

Not a reason to panic I wouldn't think.

I have lots of experience with them, because one of my upper wisdom teeth didn't come out - it shattered. The dentist said that was common for wisdom teeth, sometimes they're not as strong as they need to be (guess I should have drunk more milk as a kid!) Anyway, because it shattered in all those pieces there were little slivers and fragments left behind and they drove me nuts until I could get them all out.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Me and anything dental are not a good mix. It terrifies me.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Sorry to anyone getting sick of my whining here. [Smile]

Nice doctor called me back very late (*loves the surgeon*). It's the whole spitting-bone-bits thing Trevor mentioned. The exposed bits of jaw/socket are dead and are gonna fall off. Hopefully in my sleep or something, because I am totally squicked out by this whole thing and the more that happens while I'm unconscious, the better. I don't wanna tkae a spponful of applesauce and hear it go *crunch*. [Angst]

But at least I know now, so I feel a WHOLE LOT better.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.