FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Thursday Next books

Author Topic: The Thursday Next books
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my favorite book series, in a completely different class than my love for the Ender Saga...right alongside H2G2 as the funniest scifi/fantasy/literary/smorgasbord of craziness quadrilogy ever.

I just finished reading Something Rotten , which I have to say was the most hysterical of the bunch (possibly even my favorite -- i laughed out loud more than once and i don't do that often while reading!)

I think it may even be the last one (does anyone else know for sure?)

I know Annie owns a copy of The Eyre Affair [Wink] and I think Tom's read the series...anyone else have the pleasure?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a bit evangelical about these, too. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first one OK, but wasn't excited enough to try any of the others. How do the later ones compare?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Eyre Affair in Las Vegas, and while the writing style is tight, I laughed several times, and I enjoyed the central conceits, the plotting sucked eggs. The ending was cobbled together from every stupid romantic comedy I've ever seen, and the characterization of everyone besides the aunt and uncle were ham-fisted. I love Jane Eyre and I wanted to like it, but the book suffers greatly from the comparison.

Not to rain on your parade. I just barely finished the first one and was so dissapointed.

[ March 16, 2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think the series has gotten "better with age" as the saying goes...the three sequels are less about romance and more about Thursday getting into some ridiculous scrapes and getting out again.

The last book, especially, is a mind twister. I didn't see *any* of those twists coming and I'm usually pretty astute when it comes to book endings (years of Agatha Christie...)

But the plot is the worst in the fourth book, convolution-wise. I still loved it, but there were roughly 50,000 different subplots going on and my brain was having trouble keeping up.

I think they're all pretty smart when it comes to literary commentary, though, so that might have been part of the point. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I didn't see *any* of those twists coming and I'm usually pretty astute when it comes to book endings (years of Agatha Christie...)"

I'm proud to say that I saw at least one of those twists coming from the previous book. In fact, I set the third book down and turned to Christy and said, "Here's my prediction about the gingham lady...." [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I just started reading The Eyre Affair at lunch today...before I read this thread. I like it so far.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I've been trying to get Hatrackers to read this series for over a year now. It didn't seem like I had any takers. I'm glad to see a couple of fans out there.

I do think the series has gotten better with age, although I did like the first one very much myself.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.