FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why are our lawmakers such boneheads?

Author Topic: Why are our lawmakers such boneheads?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, the Washington Post reported a slightly heated exchange between Hillary Clinton and Alan Greenspan about the history of the Bush tax cuts. This, in itself, would not be interesting enough to me to post it on Hatrack. But something Greenspan said in defense of his (in hindsight) mistake in supporting tax cuts was VERY interesting.

He said that he noted in his testimony to Congress that the data he had that led him to support tax cuts (data showed we might end up with surpluses that grew too fast) might be flawed. In view of that, he reminded everyone who would listen, he also strongly suggested that the tax cuts be put in place with automatic stopping points if it turned out that the projections were flawed or the predicted outcomes of the cuts didn't materialize.

Of course, Congress passed the tax cuts without those triggers. And the President, of course signed the bill without those triggers.

It seems like a simple concept. We aren't 100% sure of this happening, so we'll hedge a little and say that if it doesn't work out the way we predict, everything automatically stops or reverses course.

Seems like we should be applying this kind of reasoning to all sorts of things that our current modus operandi commits us to.

Is there some reason that dictates that the only ways we limit our laws are through sunset clauses or by passing another new law to modify the old one?

Instead, we go forward with these major changes based on uncertain data and the parties fight each other over these things because they are so difficult to undo. I would like greater wisdom from our leaders. Especially when the guy they all look to for advice tells them his data is suspect.

Sheesh.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
They are not boneheads. They know what they are doing, and while their actions may not advance their stated goals they do serve their true aims.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If that was true to the extent you belive it to be, you would have NSA agents at your door right now for posting that. [Roll Eyes]

[ March 16, 2005, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the fro
Member # 2070

- posted      Profile for the fro   Email the fro         Edit/Delete Post 
Make the constituents happy. Constituents want tax cuts. Period. That's what they got.

[Wall Bash]

[ March 16, 2005, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: the fro ]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea - I doubt it. I did not mean to imply they all shared the same goals, and while their aims are probably not particularly noble I imagine they are relatively mundane. Besides, I thought starving the beast had been discussed openly for years.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.