FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » St. Patrick's Day Dinner-- a menu and an invitation

Author Topic: St. Patrick's Day Dinner-- a menu and an invitation
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was getting salmon for tomorrow's dinner at the store, and thinking about something else, and instead of 3/4 lb. of salmon, ended up with 2 1/4 lbs. So, is anyone interested in St. Patrick's Day dinner tomorrow night? As I take my Irish heritage seriously, the menu will be as follows:

Poached salmon with onions
Colcannon (I even scouted out some real leeks, which of course the first store I shopped at doesn't have)
Real Irish soda bread (as opposed to the kind you usually get served in America on St. Patrick's Day, which I have on good authority is "fruitcake")
And perhaps a dessert or something, I haven't decided.

(Be assured, I did get some corned beef on sale and stuck it in the freezer for later consumption. I do enjoy corned beef; it's just more Irish-American, and I love an excuse to make salmon and colcannon. Plus, you know, colcannon is kind of redundant if you're cooking potatoes and cabbage with the corned beef.)

I'm serious, anyone in the area (I'm in the North Dallas area, Richardson to be precise) who is interested in coming? We don't bite (ask Lady Jane), and I'm a decent cook (ask Olivetta). If you are, we can arrange a time or whatever...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gosh. Sounds delicious. I wish I was in the area, I would so come!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the Salmon of wisdom? I love magical salmon of wisdom, but everytime I cook it some hero walks up an sticks his finger on a breaking blister to stop the juices from leaking out and that means he ends up eating the whole thing....(thats about it for my knowledge of Irish Mythology)
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, you're into Fionn MacUimhail, huh? I enjoy Cuchullain, myself.

And no, it's just Atlantic salmon. I think it's from Canada, actually.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irish Snake
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Irish Snake   Email Irish Snake         Edit/Delete Post 
oh sure, celebrate the feast day of the guy who made my kind homeless. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Finegas, actually.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Roll Eyes] So, I guess no one is into salmon and colcannon, then, huh?

I guess I can freeze part of the salmon.

[ March 16, 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Just save the wise part of it.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Some day when I'm rich, I'll fly out to have dinner with you [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you ever fly out to have dinner with me, I will cook you all my specialties. In fact, we will have theme dinners. Lithuanian food and Italian food and Irish food and my famous sourdough with garlic olive oil, onion soup, salt-crusted steak with garlic, ceasar salad, and potato dinner... And whatever you want for dessert.

In return, you may draw on my pants. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Of course, you will then need to borrow them because yours will no longer fit you.)

(I feed people when they come to my house. It's a family tradition. That's what we do. That's how I caught my husband. [Big Grin] )

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You all missed out big-time. My mother- and brother-in-law came over and were amazed by the food. So [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.