FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have had the coolest bridal showers -- an appreciation thread

Author Topic: I have had the coolest bridal showers -- an appreciation thread
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You already know about the henna party ElJay threw for me. Then the women at the church I used to be a member of (and where we’re getting married) threw a party and all brought gifts from Worldly Goods, which is a store in Ames much like Ten Thousand Villages – they sell fair trade chocolate and coffee and handcrafts from around the world, they’re part of a network that helps the artisans to develop and market their work so that they can make a living and support their families. Lots of pottery and baskets and a dessert cookbook with recipes using fair trade ingredients (chocolate, coffee, and bananas, mostly). Oh, and a set of gorgeous wooden salad bowls.

Then my aunt gave a family shower to introduce Bob to extended family and my mom gave us an afghan that her mother had knitted and that Mom had been saving for my wedding shower. For the last ten years. It was the only present without a card on it, and when I asked who it was from Mom said, “You’ll know.” And I opened it and it was Grandma’s signature cable stitch afghan and I started to bawl. (So did ElJay, who was sitting next to me.)

Today the ladies at the churches I serve threw a shower for me. When they asked about it I suggested a recipe shower – that instead of buying gifts they could each bring their favorite recipes. They expanded on the theme. They brought recipes, and they brought samples of the finished dishes for a potluck, and they put together gift bags with ingredients and/or equipment to make the recipes. So the woman who brought her recipe for homemade salami packed a bag with all the spices needed to make it. Someone else brought a recipe for sticky rice with spicy dipping sauce and gave a bamboo rice basket, a bag of rice, and a little bag of Thai peppers for the sauce. The woman whose chocolate chip cookies are famous all over town brought that recipe and flour, sugar, and a giant bag of chocolate chips. Etcetera. Then they added up that there were 513 years of matrimonial experience in the room, so they each told me the most wonderful and most surprising thing about being married.

I have very cool and creative people in my life. I feel very blessed.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posable_Man
Member # 5105

- posted      Profile for Posable_Man           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to exactly ZERO bridal showers, I would like to point out.

[Grumble]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*takes out watering can*

*ties leather straps around it*

*sprinkles P_M*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
They sound fantastic dkw.

You are indeed very very lucky. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posable_Man
Member # 5105

- posted      Profile for Posable_Man           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka!

So, um...water you doing later?

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*gritted teeth*

Untying leather straps. You know how leather shrinks when it gets wet?

*tugs at straps again*

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic, Dana. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Friend - Good!

Alone - Bad!

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, dkw. All of those showers sound amazing. The recipe shower sounded very interesting, especially. Congrats on all the booty.... that's in reference to the gifts. [Wink]
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Untying leather straps. You know how leather shrinks when it gets wet?
Sounds like the start of a good night.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
dkw - that's so neat! what loving and thoughtful friends!

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

So are you gonna share the stories they told you?

That does sound really neat.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful.

You know, I just have this image in my mind of Dana going through life as a bright spot, pouring out love and goodwill around her. Finally comes a time when her friends can hold up mirrors and reflect some of that back. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]

That's wonderful. Congratulations. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.