FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What would you do in college if you went today? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What would you do in college if you went today?
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you ever feel like if you had college to do all over again now that you would do something completely different?

I majored in English and got my teacher certification. If I had it to do all over again, I am almost positive I would major in Anthropology with a concentration in linguistics. I know I CAN go back and get that, but I'm so tired of school. I'm in grad. school getting my masters in English now--the thought of more school... ick!

Lately, though, I've been wondering if there are some classes I could take that would help me transition over to the linguistics side of English--and maybe even get closer to anthropology. I would LOVE to study old cultures, artifacts, and above all, their language and literature. Is it any wonder that Daniel Jackson is my FAVORITE character on Stargate?? [Smile] I wanna have his job!

So, what would YOU do if you had to do it all over again? I went to college straight after high school, so I didn't really know what was available or what I wanted. It makes me want to encourage newly graduated high school seniors to NOT go to college if they don't know what they want to do. (I used to say take your generals for 2 years, then you'll know by then... but I didn't.)

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, tough one.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have joined the Service for a couple of years before college.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of wish I had chosen English as one of my fields of study. But I don't know which major I'd drop, then. I loved both my math and computer science classes, and am glad I had the experience of them. Hmm... although the compsci classes were more practical and actually used, I think I would lean towards keeping the math, because I enjoyed the classwork more. I really, really miss being in math classes.

I think someday I might go back to school for a masters in English. Or heck, just take some English classes for fun. That'd be a while yet, though.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would just have finished.

(I was an Art major)

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got to go to college.

Honestly, I don't care about getting a degree. I'd get my child care certification, and take classes for fun (like German and maybe some biology and/or chemistry and some sociology or something).

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
If I had college to do over again from scratch, I wouldn't have picked math/physics minor.
I love math, but don't really want to teach. I have limited abilties in applied math, so my job prospects are limited.
Rivka has encouraged me to take some actuarial exams, I'm still considering that (many moons after we first discussed it).
I think I would pick either physics/astronomy, comp. sci, or statistics. I may go back for astronomy or statistics, probably not comp. sci., at least not a 4-year degree. I would like to get some compter certifications as resume fodder, though.

Also, I should have co-oped, worked one semester at a good company then gone to school one semester. It takes slightly longer but pays off in real-world experience and an easier transistion to the work-force.

And I shouldn't have sold so many of my textbooks. [Frown]
Morbo

[ March 18, 2005, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Mormo ]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything? Music.

But I chose engineering over music many moons ago.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually...I wouldn't do anything differently. Maybe take Greek as well as Latin, so I could get a Master's in History more easily, but I loved college and I love all the classes that I took. I like the opportunities my degree gives me, and I like all background knowledge my innumerable minors give me. I'd do it the same, maybe with better grades in a couple of classes.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could go back, I'd work for a BA in Business Admin with a minor in Computer Science and concentration on accounting. Then I'd go for an MBA.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
They started the first in the nation Forensics Science Degree at WVU just as I was finishing my degree in Computer Engineering. Dang it… Might be nice to go back and get a masters in that. But I really hate school.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could do it over, I would have stuck out the bio degree. It would have been hard, obviously, but the music degree didn't do anything for me except make me not enjoy playing as much, which is just sad.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably have gone to college straight out of high school rather than going while working full time. Other than that, no major changes.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. First I would try to get into the Graphic Design program. Failing that, I would probably go for Marketing Communications or something similar. Either way, I would try to take more Computer Science courses. Programming classes are like a good, scratchy wool shirt worn for penance.

Majoring in English was OK, but in hindsight I wish I had gone for something with more direct application to a non-teaching career.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

quote:
Majoring in English was OK, but in hindsight I wish I had gone for something with more direct application to a non-teaching career.
Yes! My sentiments EXACTLY!

I've done a little research on how I can get into a field I really love--I gotta do more. There's GOT to be something I can do that doesn't involve another bachelor's degree. Another masters wouldn't bother me as much.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could go back, yet still have my husband whom I met in college, I think I would have gone to a larger, more diverse school, rather than a small liberal arts college in the boondocks.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have majored in nursing right from the start, instead of waiting till I was in my 40's to go back to nursing school.

If I had done that, by now I would have a PhD in nursing and would be teaching in a university or college somewhere.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have taken more probability and statistics and less algortithm/discrete type classes in my math major. I would have dumped poli sci, and taken a broad array of criminal justice and forensics type classes - not to become an expert, but to have a greater understanding of broad concepts.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, seeing as I'm in college for the 2nd time, and changed my major for about the fifth I'd have to say I don't really know. [Razz]

I started out with a major in English, planning on teaching high school. Then I switched to pre-law. Then I switched to biology (what was I thinking? That only lasted half a semester). My first trip to college ended with me switching back to an English major, this time a concentration in linguistics and plans to teach on the college level and do research.

Then, I went back to college this year and planned on getting my degree in elementary education and then getting an MLIS and working as an elementary teacher-librarian.

But now I've switched again. I decided that I was really, really looking forward to getting my MLIS and not really all that excited about teaching elementary school. When I examined it more closely I realized that the only thing that had me leaning toward a position as an elementary librarian over one in academic or public or medical librarianship was the schedule - and that wasn't a good enough reason.

So, I changed my major to communication arts, with a minor in linguistics. I'm planning on getting my master's in communications and my MLIS, so teaching at the community college level will also be open to me, plus a second master's seems to be a big plus when applying for a position in an academic library, or at least the job opportunities listed with the Alabama Library Association all say they prefer the applicant have a second master's.

Medical librarianship really interests me however, and I'm going to take some classes in medical communication as well.

So....I guess I'm still pretty undecided. All I know is that I love studying communication, I love linguistics, and I'm really looking forward to my classes. I hope to continue to enjoy my undergraduate experience (I'm having fun so far!) and pray I get into a grad school and get the advanced degrees I want.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do a Philosophy/Physics (concentrating on astrophysics) double major, and likely end up getting a minor in math just out of requirements for the first two.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a thing, and that's something considering my colorful college career. No, that's not true. I made a stupid mistake when I was student body president. I'd go back and fix that. It was stupid. In the long view, it taught me about democracy and ego, but it was stupid.

If I had to go back further, I'd find some way to be more involved in drama in high school. Those years were packed, but if I could have eeked out a few plays, I think I'd be the better for the experience.

[ March 18, 2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
AFR, I think you really might have enjoyed the new English language major here at the Y (along with the editing minor).

If I had to do it over, I might go into linguistics instead of English language. I'd also like to have taken more web design and graphic design classes.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably would have been an art major. *sigh* No offense to art majors/artists, but I am still coming to terms with the fact that I am more of an artist than a journalist. Then again, at this point, I'm more of just about anything than a journalist, but who's counting?

(<---BA in journalism and I work in a hospital [Dont Know] )

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
fiazko, my mom has a BFA (Painting) and MFA (Illustration). And is chronically unemployed. She's never had a job in her field of education. I think she thought that getting the credentials at school would make her feel confident enough to get a job.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely would take every drawing and acting class I could. I'm kicking myself for not taking advantage of "free" art classes while I was an undergrad, not only because they would have been a lot of fun, but because now I need those skills and don't really have the time or money to take classes!
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, jeni, my logic is that I'm already not using the degree I have, so what would be the difference, but I also would have done photography most likely, and that has a few more applications than painting. At the very least I would have concentrated more on photography as a journalism major. Oh well. I'm still young. Ish.

[edit to add: My college roommate's degree is in art--stained glass. She works for the American Heart Association.]

[ March 18, 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*chuckling at Belle's decriptions of all the different focuses*

I was one of those "major-of-the-week" types the first time around in college. What I really wanted to do was get my degree in sound recording technology (since I spent ALL my time in the studio or doing techie things for live shows.) However, that degree was a very intense degree that was pretty much a combination of three majors: mathematics, music, sound technology. Having good ears was no substitute for having no calc/physics ability. *sob*

What other things appealed? anthropology, english, history, recombinant gene technology, creative writing, theater, music theory/composition, special education, broadcasting, audiology, elementary education, dance, journalism . . .

What is my degree in? Social Work. At the "macro level", with an emphasis on political science and history - So I do program development, administration, contract monitoring.

If I went back to college? I'm more likely to become a nun first. [Big Grin]

(Edit: missing "m")

[ March 18, 2005, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, a thread for people just like me. Funny, I was just in need of some reassurance that it's perfectly normal to change your mind just as you graduate...

Let's see, I started in Music and Drama, then went to Religious Studies, then Music Performance at a different school (Laurier), then English/Linguistics at a different school (Western) -- in neither of those different schools did I actually make it to classes before I changed my mind again incidentally, though I did wind up paying for an empty apartment in London for a while -- then Classical Studies (Languages), then Classical Studies (Archaeology), then I added a joint major in Anthropology which I'm finishing up right now, along with a Performing Arts minor. So Katarain, I can point you to some good archaeology/ancient language sources to start learning if you like!

And if I could go back and do it all again? Dance.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it's a tough one. I went for History, but a Journalism degree would have served me better, maybe. J-school grads are actually having a harder time in the marketplace now.

But for rewarding and fun, I wish that I had taken the chance to go to Johnson and Wales or CIA (Culinary Institute of America). Some of my fondest memories are from working in restaurants.

A chef, that would have been great.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems quite a few of us have mentioned linguistics. I wonder if jatraqueros are more likely to study such a field than the normal population.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd change my major if I could do college over again, but I think I'd try to get more involved in the whole "college experience." I took about three years off between high school and college, and when I finally did go I lived off-campus the whole time, didn't socialize with classmates much, didn't get to know my professors much, didn't get involved in any extracurriculars or anything...basically I just rushed through the whole degree program as fast as possible so I could get it over with and get a real job. In retrospect, I think I probably missed out on something pretty valuable.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I would take more philosophy classes. possibly double major in it. I would definately have taken the last class I needed for a minor =(

I would learn japanese at a good school rather than the one I tried to learn it in... knowing full well I'd never speak it well because I just don't have anyone to converse with.

I would take some creative writing courses. Especially ones that center around writing a decent dialog.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

quote:
So Katarain, I can point you to some good archaeology/ancient language sources to start learning if you like!
Definitely!! Thanks! Either reply here or send me email. katarain@yahoo.com

On an only slightly different topic... have any of you found that a bachelor's degree isn't as valuable as it used to be in finding a job? To get my current job, as a library serials assistant, I had to have a bachelor's degree plus library experience. I find it ridiculous, because I gross so little every year. Currently they're advertising a part-time night supervisory job here, and THAT requires a bachelor's too. It's really strange to me. I would expect that with any job that requires a bachelor's, you'd be making at LEAST $30,000/year. I'm certainly not.

-Katarain

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be really bored, we're on spring break. [Big Grin]

Obviously I'd be doing exactly what I'm doing since I'm there now (Civil Engineering Major, CS minor). I was seriously thinking about getting a physics minor, but decided against it for time reasons. It's begining to look as if I might have time again though, depending on mission time-line, so I might start considering that again. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

quote:
Seems quite a few of us have mentioned linguistics. I wonder if jatraqueros are more likely to study such a field than the normal population.
Well, we probably all love reading here--I think that's a safe bet. And loving words and language is just a small step from that.. [Smile]

I get REALLY defensive when people start spouting off about people speaking the language "wrong." I point out that all dialects have their own grammar that isn't wrong. It's just different. But we ALL should learn American Standard English for speeches and writing--as I used to tell my English students. [Smile]

-Katarain

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly biology. Possibly vetrinary medicine. Possibly archaeology. I go back and forth between those three.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, there's a lot of English majors too, this is an author's form after all. [Smile] Of course then there's me who doesn't even speak fluent English, much less any other language!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
With diploma mills abounding, the market is flooded with bachelors degrees...which in and of itself devalues the demand.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I think it would be really nice if people had starting salaries based on how much education they have--and raises based on performance and further education. It certainly would fix the discrepency (sp?) between the salaries of teachers and other professionals (like lawyers, doctors, etc.) who often have an equivalent level of education, when you consider continuing ed. requirements.

Then this library couldn't be ridiculous and recruit people who have degrees and pay them as if they didn't.

But then I guess that would open up a whole bunch of problems when you consider that there are a lot of VERY skilled and talented people who don't have college degrees. I'm not trying to say it's all about the degree.

I'm going to revise what I'm trying to say...

NOBODY should work full-time and still have to worry about which bills to pay and whether to buy food or pay the electric that month. I work full-time and what I net only covers my bills--nothing left over for food, household supplies, or anything else. I'm married, but that doesn't matter because my bills are the same--no, LESS--than what they were when I was single. And that's just not right--I don't care WHAT education you have. Are we saying that those who work in the service industry, waiting on us, shouldn't have the peace of mind of knowing that their NEEDS are taken care of??

I'm getting all upset now..

*deep breath* *suppress suppress*

Okay..

-Katarain

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could go back in time to my college days, I'd take some computer science courses and make a world-changing Half-life mod [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Would you be willing to do work that doesn't require a degree?

Specifically, my dad's business employs many people, and it does not require a degree or even fluency in English. It pays enough to pay the bills, although it won't be posh. It's also labor-intensive, incredibly boring, and...must be done by humans. Would you be willing to do a job like that?

My dad has always held that over our heads a little. We will never starve - we can ALWAYS work for Dad. It's just that no one wants to.

At least, the for the older kids. The younger ones have much nicer jobs that involve more resonsibility and fewer band-aids.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I would love to have an opportunity to develop skills in carpentry and woodworking, neither of which would require a college degree.

What do the people who work for you dad do kat?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, masonry too. That would be a lot of fun, I think. And landscaping.
Katarain
Member # 6659

I would hope that any job I took that didn't require a degree would be one that I really could enjoy.

The problem is, it's very hard to get jobs that don't require a degree once you have one. I suppose no one wants to hire degreed people because they figure they'll leave at the first opportunity--and ya know, it's true.. they would.

I was so desperate for money last year I would have done nearly anything--but I didn't apply at retail places or fast food. I guess I wasn't desperate enough.

-Katarain

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could do it all again? I'm not ready to say that I'd change my undergrad, I think I'd rather see how I turn out. Don't get me wrong, I hate biochemistry. If it weren't so easy for me I never would have done it. But I'm really grateful for the friends I've had during this university career, and I think getting the degree has been really good for me -- even if my ideal world sees me never using what I've learned here in any way other than impressing ze ladies.

Not that there's nothing I'd change. I love movement, I'm fascinated by it, and had I the proper artistic talent I'd have seriously considered animation. Sadly, my hands do not think in images. But I really wish I'd done more dancing as a kid, more gymnastics, more martial arts. I've dabbled in all those things, but I wish I'd paid more attention to them now.

What will I do come April? Not biochemistry that's for bloody sure.

[ March 18, 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Noemon, my family runs a metal finishing place. Part of the process includes mounting the aluminum parts onto titanium racks. Each part has to be mounted and unmounted by hand, because each part is different. A machine could be built to do it, but it would take as much time to calibrate it for each job and would much more expensive.

Kind of like this. For some orders, there will be thousands of parts. That all has to be done by people.

[ March 18, 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would hope that any job I took that didn't require a degree would be one that I really could enjoy.

The problem is, it's very hard to get jobs that don't require a degree once you have one. I suppose no one wants to hire degreed people because they figure they'll leave at the first opportunity--and ya know, it's true.. they would.

I was so desperate for money last year I would have done nearly anything--but I didn't apply at retail places or fast food. I guess I wasn't desperate enough.

I wish my husband had the luxury of a job he liked. [Frown] The poor guy couldn't get a job anywhere that pays enough to support a family on. Ended up in sales, and was doing okay for a while, but now he's hit a rough patch, and we don't know if we're going to be able to make it through it. [Angst] Comission bites. Especially when people keep "stealing" his customers, and he's too nice (and too principled) to do the same.

I really, really wish we didn't have to lie awake at night wondering if we are going to be able to make it through another month. It's very nerve-wracking. I cry a lot.

I think I said this in another thread, but one of the main problems is that he can't get a job without a degree, but can't get a degree without more time and money than he has now. [Wall Bash] Actually, he can get a job, but as a vet technician without certification, even though he's very skilled, he gets at most $9 an hour, and usually not full-time. The full-time, $15 an hour + benefits jobs all go to people fresh out of their certification programs, many of them without the experience he has. [Wall Bash] We're looking into an accounting asst./tax preparer job in CA, but there's about a 50/50 chance that will work out, as of now.

Sometimes I really wish I ran the world.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And I realize that's a bit personal. Sorry.

I'm under a lot of stress right now. I guess I needed to whine.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would LOVE to study old cultures, artifacts, and above all, their language and literature. Is it any wonder that Daniel Jackson is my FAVORITE character on Stargate?? I wanna have his job!

I want Carter's. [Big Grin]

quote:
If I knew then what I know now, I'd have joined the Service for a couple of years before college.
The Service?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Duh, the Service of Planet Earth. Didn't you know Trevor used to be a superhero? [Wink]
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would really enjoy working for your dad, Lady Jane.

I have always contended that the jobs which would most likely keep me the happiest are dull, manual labor jobs like that. Alas, most of those jobs do not pay the bills.

Most jobs do not appeal to me at all. The same is true with most majors. So I think I would stick with Criminal Justice and keep hoping for a federal agent position.

--APostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.