FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My sister's name is Martha

Author Topic: My sister's name is Martha
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Sunday when I got to my hotel in College Station, I called home to let them know I had arrived safely. When I called home I was told that I needed to call my mother. She had something REALLY imporant to tell me. So I call.. Can't get a hold of her [Wall Bash] so I call my sister, Shawna. Shawna tells me.. "you know how a few years ago Mom told us that we had a younger sister that she had put up for adoption.... well she found her [Eek!] ..." I finally got a hold of my mom who tells me the same thing. She said the she and my sister, Shawna had already had the opportunity to talk to her on the phone for a long time arlier that day. Mom said she was really nice and from the desriptions she was giving of herself, it sounded like she and I looked a lot alike.

Well anyway I started e-mailing her and we started communicating like that at first. We finally talked on the phone for a few minutes Thursday afternoon and Friday morning for about an hour. It turns out she lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Well I knew that Friday (yesterday) I was supposed to have a three hour layover in Denver so we were going to try and hook up and meet.

So anyway... my 3 hour layover in Denver turns out not to be so long. We got delayed in Dallas because we were waiting for a lot of passengers from a connecting flight, then they miscounted the luggage and had to figure out that mess [Wall Bash] . But I finally get to Denver, rush to the ticket gate to check in. I let the lady know that I have to go meet my Sis for the first time and would have to go back through security. This is around 5:45, my flight leaves at 7:10 but she tells me I have to be back for check in no later than 6:45. I am not sure if I can make it.. the going through security bit again has me worried. I wonder if 1 hour is long enough to find my sister, have a few precious minutes with her, go back through security, and make it all the way back to the end to the terminal to my gate. At this point I really don't care. I really don't want to miss my flight, but I can not be this close to her and not meet her. So I head off in search of her at a very fast pace. I get to baggage claim area and I can not find her. I had never been to this part of the airport so we really could not set up a coordinating point. I did tell her that I was wearing a bright red Kansas City Chiefs jersey (I figured how else better to stand out that to wear my "colors" in the heart of Bronco territory!! [Big Grin] ). So I find a payphone.. can't figure it out. Find another pay phone.. doesn't have volume. Find another payphone. Put in the wrong calling card number the first time!! ARGH!!! I know that I only have a few minutes!!! At this point let me tell you that I had trying so hard NOT to get too excited about this, I know how things can work with airlines so I knew that we might not be able to hook up. I said trying , I now realized that I did not do a very good job because I was starting to get very upset that we might miss each other [Confused] .

But ANYWAY, I do finally get though to her. She tells me that we are just around the corner from each other, I am at baggage claim 7 and she is at 6. She tells me just to come around the corner and she will do the same. So we hang up. I walk around the corner and I hear someone say "there you are!!" So we met, we hugged, we cried!!

Guys I can not begin to tell you how wonderful she is. She has a BEAUTIFUL 3 year old daughter. We look so much alike (my sis and I). Well she has dishwater blonde hair and gorgeous green eyes and I have brown hair and eyes. Other than that though.. we have the same facial features.. nose, cheeks, just structure in general. We have the same hair style. We have similar builds. But all of that stuff is genetic stuff. The uncanny thing is that we are SO much alike in so many other ways. We talk alike, and not just similar voices.. she says the same things that I say. We'll be talking, IMing or e-mailing and she'll say something and I'll be like "oh my gosh I say the ALL the time!!" and she does the same with me. Our lives have taken similar paths also. I told her last night (she was online as well as my mom and sister, so we set up a yahoo conference room) that even though we just met I feel such a connection with her. I feel like I have known her all of my life. [Smile] We only live 6 1/2 hours away from each other so I plan on visiting her often!!

My sister's name is Martha Marie and she is wonderful!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, babager, I'm so happy for you. What a nice surprise.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
This is so fabulous. Congratulations on meeting your sister, and thank you so much for sharing.

[ March 19, 2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you guys found each other, that's really cool. [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
What a beautiful story, babager. I'm so happy for you! [Big Grin] [Cry]
[The Wave]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so wonderful to her, babager. What a nice story!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

I'm still on cloud nine!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So...what's her screen name?

Cool story!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That is an amazing story, babager. Just like something out of "The Parent Trap." [Smile] But really... that's fantastic.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

That's cool.

[Smile]

-o-

She sought your mom out?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
That's wonderful!! I'm grinning like an idiot from reading your story [Big Grin]
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That is such a beautiful story. I was so afraid you were going to miss her, or miss her and your plane, or just your plane. So, good story structure, too. ha ha.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

It is really amazing how she was found. My mom had started looking for her in 2000. She posted on several adoption sites. Martha had been looking also but did not have internet. She was told that she was adopted when she was 5 and for her 10th birthday her parents gave her the information that they had about her birth mother. She was in Missouri in 1998 and she said she went through every phone book she found looking for her birth mother. Well she just got a computer and posted her information on one of the adoption sites Sunday. Some of the info was incorrect. She had the first name a little confused my mom's name is Nell Marian and Martha thought it was Mary Ann, and she thought there was an "S" at the end of the last name.

Anyway my mom gets a phone call from a lady that said she thought she found her birth daughter. This lady is an amateur geneologist and her hobby is searching adoption sites and hooking people up. She did not ask for anything, she just enjoys doing it.

Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
*moved*
quote:
This lady is an amateur geneologist and her hobby is searching adoption sites and hooking people up. She did not ask for anything, she just enjoys doing it
The world could do with more people like her.
Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

I agree.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad for you and your family, babager! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
What a very cool experience. Good on you. [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That is so wonderful. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

I was chatting with my sister today and she shared with me a poem her Mom found and gave her when she was 10. Thought I'd share it with you all.

Once there were two women who never knew each other.
One you do not remember, the other you call Mother

Two different lives shaped to make you one.
One became your guiding star, the other became your sun.

The first one gave you life, the second taught you to live it.
The first gave you a need for love. The second was there to give it.

One gave you a nationality. The other gave you a name.
One gave you a talent. The other gave you aim.

One gave you emotions. The other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile. The other dried your tears.

One sought for you a home that she could not provide.
The other prayed for a child and her hope was not denied.

And now you ask me, through your tears,
the age-old question unanswered through the years.
Heredity or environment, which are you a product of?
Neither, my darling, Neither. Just two different kinds of Love.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a great poem.

What a lovely way to show your love for your child.

[Smile]

I'm happy for you babager!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*tear* That's beautiful. This is such an amazing story. I... wow.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really cool, babadger! We have a very similar experience just four years ago (has it been that long?) Anyway, found out that we had a younger sister 3 years younger than me. She contacted us.

It has been great having a "new" sister - even though it takes awhile, and some work, to build up a closeness. Since you don't have "memories" together, after you get past the first rush of learning everything about the other person, then it kind of struggles for awhile. But keep working at it and pretty soon it will be just like any other sibling!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That poem gave me the willies...but in a good way.

Thanks for sharing this, babager!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Smile]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really great. *wishes you much happiness*
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Get her on Hatrack! Then we can start a "Long lost Hatrack sibling thread".
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. [Smile]

Incidentally, my sister's name is Martha, too.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome story.

A friend of mine recently found her long-lost half-siblings (children of her dad) and I know she was really happy about it too.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

OK guys.. I believe she is gonna join!!!! [Big Grin]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
That was such a lovely story. [Smile]

Farmgirl gave some great advice; be sure to heed it. I've been on the opposite side and I know it's true. I wasn't adopted, but I didn't meet my biological dad or his family till I was 21. After the initial excitement, it was incredibly difficult. I struggled with a lot of emotions, including feeling left out and awkward because all of them had family history together and stories to tell, and I didn't. Hang in there when the difficult parts come.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysmom
Member # 7603

- posted      Profile for Kaysmom   Email Kaysmom         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I am Babager's sister Martha, and after our meeting at the airport I still am well a big bundle of emotions. That day will stick with me for the rest of my life as one of THE best days that has ever happened to me... I remember getting to the airport at 5:45 pm and having a 3 year old who had to go potty right away, all I kept thinking was I AM GOING TO MISS HER!! so I start crying in the bathroom [Cry] finally my daughter gets done and I make a complete circle around the airport looking for a Kansas Citys chiefs jersey ANYWHERE, by that time it was almost 6 pm and I kept looking at the boards where they tell the flights to see if her flight had boarded or ANYTHING...THEN on my second time to get started walking around the area where people wait for there friends,familys, ect I recieve a phone call on my cell IT WAS MY SISTER and she was right around the corner from me. I couldn't believe it I picked up my daughter and rushed as fast as I could around the corner and all of a sudden I see my sister in her Kansas City jersey and I yell to her, after that it was a blur of emotion and hugs and crying and a lot of looking, because her and i look SO similar... [Smile] It AMAZES me how much of a connection her and I had right off the bat after 25 years you would think there would be akward moments..but her and I picked up in those few min like we were never apart..I am so glad that I went to the airport to meet my AWESOME big sister..I almost wan't able to go because it was snowing in Colorado Springs really bad before I headed up to Denver but I am SO GLAD I WENT..Her and I live 6 hours away from each other so we will be keeping in touch, she wrote me a little note and her words will stick with me she writes "HERE'S TO CREATING A LIFETIME OF MEMORIES STARTING RIGHT NOW" well that is what I was hoping for..I believe that all this happened for a reason and I want to let her know this one fact...I AM GLAD I HAVE YOU AND MARI AND SHAWNA IN MY LIFE NOW and your families.

My name is Martha Marie and I have found my awesome BIG SISTER, not only that I found a whole awesome FAMILY... [The Wave]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

[Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] That's so cool, Martha. (My mom's name is Martha!)

And welcome to Hatrack. [Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaysmom
Member # 7603

- posted      Profile for Kaysmom   Email Kaysmom         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Thanks Rivka your mom has a cool name!! [Smile]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
wooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooo congrats to all of you!!!!!!

And I love that poem, Babager, I know someone perfect to share with.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imadopted
Member # 7807

- posted      Profile for Imadopted   Email Imadopted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I am Babagers sister Martha, I was Kaysmom but changed the name!! EVERYTHING is going good for us and have kept in contact and talk every chance we get!!! We are planning a meeting for June so I hope all goes as planned for that. I'll keep ya posted!!
[Party]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mahabarata
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Mahabarata           Edit/Delete Post 
If I am allowed to say this.
Congratulations! [Smile]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
HI...I saw this thread a while back, but didn't realize that imadopted was the same person as kaysmom.....

Welcome to Hatrack....again!

[ April 14, 2005, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome.

babager finds long-lost adopted sister, sister joins Hatrack.

This forum should be on Maury or something. We are awesome.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy for you both, babager and Imadopted!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.