FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Woman leads Muslim prayer

Author Topic: Woman leads Muslim prayer
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
BY JORDAN LITE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Amina Wadud leads prayer service — an act rarely performed by women — at Muslim service yesterday in Manhattan. Wadud, a professor of Islamic studies at Virginia Commonwealth University, presided over service of about 120 worshipers.

Under armed guard, a woman broke with more than a thousand years of Islamic tradition to lead men and women in a prayer service yesterday in Manhattan.

Amina Wadud said she wanted "to remove the artificial and sometimes extremely inconvenient restrictions on the entry and participation of women" in Islam, the fastest-growing religion in the United States.

It is rare for a woman to act publicly as the imam, or prayer leader, at a coed gathering of Muslims. In many American mosques, women must use a separate entrance and prayer space.

But yesterday, at the same service, another woman, Suehyla El-Attar of Atlanta, gave the call to prayer normally sounded by men. She was answered by about 120 other men and women, who prayed side by side in a hall at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.

Though dismissed by critics as a publicity stunt, the service was heavily scrutinized by Arab media and on Internet discussion boards. Wadud, an Islamic studies professor at Virginia Commonwealth University, and others even received abusive calls and E-mails, said Saleema Abdul-Ghafur, a board member of the Progressive Muslim Union, which organized the event. More than a dozen cops stood watch, and participants were searched for weapons.

One shouting protester tried to enter the hall before the service began, but he was stopped by two police officers. He later joined a dozen other demonstrators outside holding signs saying, "Mixed-gender prayer today, hellfire tomorrow."

Hooray for her!
Change begins.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mixed-gender prayer today, hellfire tomorrow."

I want a bumper sticker that says this.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite abomination is the bit in Leviticus that forbids cotton/polyester blends. (No mixed-fiber cloth!)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*

Osama may have gotten more than he bargained for.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's awesome. I don't think it's fair to dismiss it as a publicity stunt - this is a huge step, and something that speaks volumes.

I'm rather out of step with many people who believe as I do, because I don't have a problem with women being pastors and church leaders. In fact, I enjoy theology so much I looked into getting a graduate degree at Birmingham Theological Seminary - but I wouldn't be able to enter most of their programs because I'm not eligible for ordination - because I'm a woman.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I Timothy 2:11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12But I do not allow a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15But she will be kept safe through childbearing, if they continue in faith and love and holiness with sensibleness.
If there was ever a bit of scripture I'd like to see on the cutting room floor...

In some circles, Women pastors/preachers still have to put up with Christians from other denominations telling them why they shouldn't have their jobs...

We in the US like to think of how advanced we are and the poor benighted <insert other culture here> but really, it's not that long ago in our traditions that a woman pastor would be not just "horrifying" to some people, but viewed as dangerous and against scripture, etc.

So, yeah, let's cheer if some are reforming their own corner of islam.

But let's not forget the many barriers in mainstream American culture (and dominant Christian thinking) that aren't that terribly different.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.K. Slyder
Member # 7416

- posted      Profile for K.K. Slyder   Email K.K. Slyder         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to think of the culture in which Paul wrote that in. The scripture also says in Galatians 3:28 "Men and women are one in Christ Jesus" and the verse you quoted was saying about women learning in quietness, this is in the day when people were saying "Don't educate women at all".

Also in Romans 16:1- Paul commends a 'sister Phoebe, a servant of the church' and my bible's footnotes says the word 'servant' is the equivalent of 'deaconess'

Food for thought.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
KKS: Would that all who use the Bible to motivate their thoughts and actions also had the knowledge to interpret it in context and from a wholistic perspective.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
plaid, it most certainly does NOT. It forbids mixing wool and linen. Polyester and cotton (even ignoring the fact that one is a synthetic) would certainly not be a problem.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some serious problems just with having men and women praying in the same room in a Mosque.

Before praying, a Muslim must first ritually wash themselves, then they can pray. But if a marriageable person (ie anyone of the opposite sex) touches them, they must wash again. When they pray, no one of the opposite sex may be within six or eight feet in front of them, whether stationery or walking past.

So having members of the opposite sex praying in the same room presents serious difficulties. Are there separate washing facilities? Do they pray on opposite sides of the room? Is there enough room to pray so that no one of the opposite sex will walk in front of them? Is there enough room for them to move about freely so they don't risk touching or bumping into someone?

This is why, generally speaking, Mosques tend to be either men only or the men and women pray in separate rooms. My questions is this: Are those concerns being addressed, and if so, how?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.