FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Half-Blood Prince Release Date (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Half-Blood Prince Release Date
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0439784549/ref=amb_right-2_165953_2/002-3819395-3620068
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Just in time for his birthday, right? (I think. I can't remember real people's birthdays, much less fictitious characters'.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this more solid than many of Amazon's release dates?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the one where one of the main characters dies?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
So I hear.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still on record as anticipating some weird prior body-switcheroo thing between Harry's father and Snape. I expect this to be revealed in Book 7, though.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's solid, and the release date has been known for quite some time now. (Since December.) Rowling now has a website of her own, and she releases all news of that sort on her site.
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, MuggleNet thinks the switch was between James Potter and Remus Lupin, and the Lupin is the one who died. Considering how much Lupin softens at the thought of Lily and has to restrain himself from being affectionate towards Harry, it may be a possibility.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh ... okay, I could go with that. I just didn't buy that James' father went from beastly to saintly on his own. I still think a Snape/James switch would make sense of why Snape is so down on Harry for any hint of pridefulness (having been there -- as James -- himself).
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Body switch? Huh?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
CT, MuggleNet thinks the switch was between James Potter and Remus Lupin, and the Lupin is the one who died.
I strongly dislike this theory. A lot of people at the Lexicon Forums think Lupin is Lupin, end of story. I want Lupin to be Lupin, I don't want it to be James.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, and there is also the questionable Ron is really Dumbledore theory too.

Gah, July cannot get here fast enough.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
*epic battle between Harry Potter and Voldemort using different-coloured wand-sabers*

*voldemort chops off Harry's hand*

*Harry screams in pain, clinging to a tree at the edge of a precipice*

"Harry... I am your father!"

"Noooooooo!"

*Harry jumps off edge of cliff*

*Ker-splat*

To be continued in Volume 7 where Ron's little sister becomes a warrior princess to avenge her beloved Harry's death.

[ March 21, 2005, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminder: if you can, support your local independent book store, and order your copy through them! [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

On a side note, why?

I have nothing against them, but why are they the default noble choice?

Like in You've Got Mail - I can certainly see why the store owner would want to keep the small one going, but Fox Books did sell them for cheaper. Cheaper books = more books I can afford = that's good. My local Barnes and Noble had a huge party for Harry Potter #5, including a magician, candy, story hour, a public reading starting at midnight, face painting, general revelry.

What makes one place of business more virtuous than another? I am thinking of a story of buggy-whip makers here.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] for plaid
EDIT to Kat : because the big stores don't need your money to survive. The local book shop do. As a matter of fact, my favourite one died a few months ago, killed by the concurrence of the two big book sellers in town, who sell everything with no style, no advice, not anything to make you feel welcome and well.
RE-EDIT : besides, here we have a legal price for books, so they sell them at the same price.

[ March 22, 2005, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
For the sake of being difficult, big book stores need money too. If everyone goes to local stores, there will be no more barnes and noble. [Smile]

Besides that, my local booksellers have horrible stocks, smell musty, and charge more for books.

Maybe people consider that character, I just consider it bad business. ::shrug::

[Wink]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

You're right, too - but honestly, I met more great local book shops and crappy big book shops than the reverse.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Especially when there is a difference on price, why do I need to spend more to support one business than another?

My family owns a small business, and they get hammered by bigger companies that outsource to China, so I do understand the concept of supporting small businesses. However, my family makes up for the more expensive price necessitated by higher wages in the US by providing better customer service, more specialized products, and the advantages of working with someone local.

If a big store has a better price and just as good or better service, why should I be obligated to take things elsewhere? Shouldn't I reward the company that figured how to do business better?

AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
The only customer support that I need from a bookstore is to tell me where the book I'm looking for is.

Amazon.com gives me as good service of any other store.

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the best way for small businesses to go in those situations is to provide something the bigger company doesn't, in order to make up for the price difference.

This is the way I have seen most small coffeeshops react to a starbucks across the street and survive. In fact, I have lived in three different towns at the time a starbucks moved in, and witnessed all three debates about how bad it would be for the local coffeeshops. So far, in every town, the local coffeeshops are still standing, despite the evil influence of starbucks. They do this because the offer a different atmosphere, a different choice in coffee, and a different type of service. It can be done.

I just wish my local booksellers would understand this concept.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Harry Potter thread.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

*fangirl tone*
Snape ! Snape ! Gooooooo Snape !

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I've been dreaming about being friends with JKR again. This worries me sometimes.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
You two had a falling out?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Why does this worry you ?
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

My subconcious seems quite convinced that we are friends. I don't have the heart to tell it otherwise.

[ March 22, 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Your post indicates that you're hallucinating again, Noemon.

[ March 22, 2005, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Why, whatever are you referring to? Now you're not only dreaming about being friends with public figures, you're also imagining posts?

::tsk::

Maybe you should think about seeing someone about this kat.

[ March 22, 2005, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

J.K.Rowling said it was perfectly normal.

[ March 22, 2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

[humoring]Sure, sure I'm sure she said just that! Yep, no doubt about it.[/humoring]

:: backs away slowly, all the while making soothing noises ::

[ March 22, 2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

It isn't fair to respond to what you wish I had said. </wild-eyed>

[ March 22, 2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

It's...it's almost like we're having two different conversations here. Please, kat, I'm begging you, get help!
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

*sniffsniff* Noemon? That's you, right? Is it you? Are you the one who keeps telling Malfoy to talk to me? I'm trying to be nice, Noemon. It's so quiet...
Noemon
Member # 1115

Don't worry kat, I've got some experience with helping people through this kind of thing. Now, you lucked out--the hit you took was only slightly tainted. I want you to lie back, and take slow, deep breaths. Good. Now, would you like the lights on, or off? You're in charge here.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

ooo...pretty lights...pretty...

lalala...If I die Noemon, you can have my stuff. I like you. Send the history books to Taalcon. The treasure is *yawn*...the treasure is...yumyumhemmmm...under the...*soft, snoozy breathing*

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
*sends in the men with white coats*
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
*listens to kat's dying confession, and attempts to beat the plucky hero to the treasure*
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The treasue is mine, and has been for some years.

Why do you think kat went crazy?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are hilarious [Big Grin]
Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not buy the book through the front page of hatrack?
http://www.hatrack.com/index.shtml (links at bottom left corner)
;p
AJ

[ March 22, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

O.O
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be great if in 6th year, knowing full well all the other dangers the previous years have brought, Potter eschews the school, takes his broom to South America and hires himself bilingual Wizard tutors? I mean, really.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I like to support small booksellers is that they don't cater to the bestsellers. Barnes & Noble has a rotten selection of foreign-language books and Borders, though better, typically only has the American bestsellers translated into other languages.

Small independent bookstores carry more foreign-language books, they sell used and out-of-print books, and they tend to have a lot better selection of independent and hard-to-find books. Sure, they sell bestsellers, but they don't have a ridiculous pile of copies of The DaVinci Code in a huge display with a "you might also enjoy" shelf next to it. I don't want to be pandered to with the latest marketing strategies. I don't want to be sold something statistically proven to get me to fork over more cash. I like my local independent bookstores because they give me real-person advice and treat me like an intelligent creatures. They, too, are intelligent creatures, which helps.

If I shop at the big store in the name of saving money, I run the risk of losing those smaller shops that are better suited to my town and my market. And truthfully, by offering a lot of used books, the little stores are often a better deal. I don't need a brand-new, reprint copy of Cat's Cradle because I want to start reading Kurt Vonnegut - a $3.00 paperback from the 80s will do just fine. And I'm willing to spend the occassional $45.00 on a brand-new hardback when I can, as a vote of confidence in a store that wants me as a customer and not just me as a demographic.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't need a brand-new, reprint copy of Cat's Cradle because I want to start reading Kurt Vonnegut - a $3.00 paperback from the 80s will do just fine.

You're lucky Kurt Vonnegut doesn't post here anymore. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I still want Harry Potter in Japanese.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt would agree with me! As would Bokonon - I'm pretty sure he buys only used books.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I love used books.

It's not how much you spend (and the cost of books is crippling!) its how much you love the books [Wink] .

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I've been known to buy more than my bodyweight in books at library book sales.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I did that this spring. I bought loads of books. Only the fact that I had to leave (grumble) prevented me from just buying literally hundreds. (It was late in the day and every book was 25 cents!)
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Ah. I find most used books stores too unorganized for me. I live just down the street from an acre-sized Half-Price Books, and I love it because of the poetry readings and amateur art shows they host. Also, fabulous deals on audio books. If I am looking for something in particular though, I hate it because they don't have a definitive inventory. Serendipity HAS to be good, because that's the only way you'll find anything.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.