FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Survey History Of The World

Author Topic: Survey History Of The World
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
So If I'm interested in picking up a good survey of World History, what would be a good one to check out?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
"Please give a ten minute summation of the history of the world."
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*bang*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This one only covers through the French Revolution, but it's very good.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

True, but I find the historical predictions given within to be a bit preposterous. I mean - Jews in Space? That'll be the day. [Wink]

Seriously, folks. Looking for a good book, or even series of books. I'm sure there's some good legitimate recommendations floating around here somewhere.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Guns Germans and Steel isn't so much a history as trying to answer the question of disparity between cultures (why is Western civilization dominate) but in the process gives a pretty good explenation.

There's also The Story of Mankind.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

I've read Guns, Germs and Steel. Wonderful book. Looking for something more broad, giving me a nice scope.

I had a VERY deficient High School history education, due in part to me moving around. I never got taught World Civ, my American History I class only went up to the beginning of Reconstruction due to my teacher going on wild tangents, and my American History II class started with World War II.

Following a transfer of schools, I was transferred into the MIDDLE of a 20th Century World History class just as they began teaching about World War II.

So, to sum up, I missed everything up to the American Revolution, and then I missed the First World War. Twice.

So I have major gaps here.

I'm trying to catch up [Wink]

Of course, I'm also currently starting to read a 9-volume History of Philosophy series, and I've had a multi-CD set on the History of Rome being sent to me to listen to on my drive from Jersey to Atlanta.

I'd like to have a good overview in my mind, you know, for context.

And so I can know what the hell I'm talking about.

[ March 21, 2005, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
How about The Cartoon History of the Universe? [Smile]

It looks funny, but it's quite a nice overview to start. It's very intelligent, thorough, and gives a launching pad for what you want to study more intensely. I'm not kidding - I have them all, and I love them.

[ March 21, 2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then I re-reccomend The Story of Mankind. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Mel Brooks' History of the World Pt I?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Does 'world history' mean the whole thing? These days, us historians refer to 'world history' as a comparative history of various civilizations (with some environmental stuff like in _Guns, Germs and Steel_ thrown in).

Or do you mean Western civ?

If the first, _Story of Mankind_ is solid but dated and kind of archaic. One of my advisors wrote The Human Web, which is kind of unique and very compact but also interesting. His dad wrote this, which is somewhat dated but still a masterpiece, and is one of the earliest 'world' histories in the style I was talking about.

If we're just talking about Western civ, this is fun, but is designed for (very) long plane rides and summer vacations. This and this are textbooks I've seen used; my impression is that the first is slightly better.

Hobbes, _Guns, Germans and Steel_, as per your first post, sounds like a survey of the world between 1914 and 1945. [Smile]

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gambusi
Member # 7438

- posted      Profile for Gambusi   Email Gambusi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd look at "A World History" by William H McNeill. It is a pretty brief overview of the important happenings in history. I read it during a couple World Civilization survey classes in college.

I found it especially helpful at giving me a foundation for when and, more importantly, why things have happened - it doesn't have a terribly large amount of detail, which isn't necessarily a drawback for an overview book.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"Guns, Germans, and Steel"?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a Mel Brooks fan?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, I'm not sure if a single "survey" book is really the way to go. That might be a bit brief. I don't have many survey book suggestions, but the European History class I didn't take (AP covered it [Big Grin] ) uses the two books Perspectives From the Past part one and the same but part two. My roomate says they're faily inclusive and easy-reading, but obviously they're textbooks. I'm not sure you're going to find anything any smaller than that that goes into any degree of detail.

One thing I was thinking about doing was assembling wikipedia articles into a list which which summed up history, and thus allowed you to go into however much detail you liked.

Has that been done before?

[ March 21, 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If you need some good books on trade, and it's effects on various cultures, there is a book called Salt that seems very good..salt was more expensive than gold for most of history,until about 120 years ago, and that book has some wonderful tales about the wars that were waged to control sources of it,and the trade routes that carried it.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, that sounds like a good idea but a lot of work. Also, wiki articles vary in accuracy and completeness, and even existence for many subjects.

Salt sounds interesting.

H.G. Wells wrote several surveys of history, including The Outline Of History (1920), A Short History Of The World (1922), and The Pocket History Of The World (1941). Of these three I have the last. I have always been meaning to read it but never have, just skimmed it or looked stuff up. It hits the highlights (of Western history, anyway) and it's readable.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.