FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Backwards Evolution

Author Topic: Backwards Evolution
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/genetics/2005-03-23-plant-evolution_x.htm

quote:
scientists say plants sometimes select better bits of DNA in order to develop normally even when their predecessors carried genetic flaws.

In the Purdue experiment, researchers found that a watercress plant sometimes corrects the genetic code it inherited from its flawed parents and grows normally like its grandparents and other ancestors.

"This means that inheritance can happen more flexibly than we thought," said Robert Pruitt, the paper's senior author.

Pruitt's team didn't find the template in the plants' DNA or chromosomes where genetic information is stored and they did not determine whether a particular gene is encoded to carry out the recovery of the normal DNA.

Wow ... I think that's pretty neat. I hope they're successful in finding out exactly where the grandparents' code is stored and how it is retrieved.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
They've already got a pretty good idea, don't they? The RNA?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
might be lurking in the plant's RNA
I don't know how good of an idea it is? [Dont Know]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, good point. I read an article on New Scientist about this this morning, and misremembered how certain they were about it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Could be part of the rezipping process that checks for errors, perhaps it amounts to a spot checking protien in the DNA itself.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.