FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You're invited! Countdown: 5 days! Less than a Week!!

Author Topic: You're invited! Countdown: 5 days! Less than a Week!!
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My birthday this year falls on a Thursday. Since my husband will be off work that day, he will be working all weekend. So any celebrating I do with him will be on the actual day.

Saturday, June 25, 2005, I will be taking my children to the Tulsa Zoo at noon. After the zoo, we will go out to eat at my favorite restaurant, and then will see a movie in a *gasp* movie theater.

I'm hereby inviting any Hatrackers who want to join us in celebrating my birthday to come. My treat, all weekend. If you want to stay the weekend, you can pull up some floor or I'll reccommend a hotel. The only thing I can't provide is transportation, unless there's only one or two people joining us.

[ June 19, 2005, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Tulsa zoo. [Smile]

Wish I could come, but probably not. [Frown] Still, I'll wish you a happy birthday when the time comes.

And thank you for the gracious invitation.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
H'come everyone has to live so dang far away . . . Rats!

But what a lovely invitation and here's a pre-birthday "happy happy day" wish . . . [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The 25th of June happens to be my birthday. I wish I could be there so we could celebrate together.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I'll put it on my calendar and see how things pan out as the date gets closer. I have been to the Oklahoma City zoo, but not to the Tulsa one yet...

Of course, my daughter WORKS at the zoo here all summer, so she may not want to go see another one over a weekend.... *grin*

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

But the Tulsa Zoo is unique and wonderful! [Razz]

Seriously, she could hang out here at the ranch if she doesn't want to come to the zoo. There's ponds for fishing, horses, llamas, creeks, fields, woods, old ramshackle decrepit barns...basically kid paradise. [Wink]

Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like my kind of paradise! And there will Koalas!!

I SO wish there was a way I could make it! Sounds like you'll have a great birthday [Smile]

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Yes, the koalas will be there on loan from the San Diego Zoo until the end of July. I'm actually going to see them Friday, though. [Big Grin] I love the zoo.
Boon
unregistered

The koalas are very, very cute...and bigger than I thought they'd be, somehow. [Dont Know]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could come! Couldn't you push your birthday so it's not in the middle of finals week? [Razz]

Sorry, Boon! I hope, however, that you have a fabulous time!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

(You could come another weekend. I can actually take guests to the zoo anytime I want to.)
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Whew! I suddenly got to thinking that this was schedule for this weekend (April 23) instead of June 25! I panicked.

But now I see my memory was just wrong. And now I have it on my calendar at work so I can't forget again.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

[Big Grin]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
June 25th is my birthday also. [Smile] I'll be celebrating with you in spirit. Maybe we'll go to the Woodland Park Zoo (in Seattle) to celebrate even more in the spirit.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Plans may be changing. The Bixby Sweet Corn Festival runs that weekend, and the Blue Bell Taste of Summer 2005 tour/all you can eat ice cream event is on the 25th...looks like there will be a few fun things to do to choose from that weekend.

Yay!!

[Big Grin]

Boon
unregistered

I was wrong, it's the Bixby Green Corn Festival. [Big Grin]

Okay, folks, 17 days until Friday the 24th. Who's coming?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I've been planning it all along, Boon -- but I may have to back out. Won't know until closer to time. Has to do with finances -- I..uh..spent a bit more doing the DallasCon thing than I intended, so now I'm playing catch-up. We will have to wait and see how things are nearer to date. It isn't that far, so really wouldn't cost much to run to Tulsa -- but I've used a lot of gasoline this month....

Farmgirl

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish I could get back down to that part of the country. I went to high school in Bartlesville, but I haven't been back since I got married and my folks moved away.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If we are still around and still free and not packing desperately, count us in!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
"I've been planning it all along, Boon -- but I may have to back out. Won't know until closer to time. Has to do with finances -- I..uh..spent a bit more doing the DallasCon thing than I intended, so now I'm playing catch-up. We will have to wait and see how things are nearer to date. It isn't that far, so really wouldn't cost much to run to Tulsa -- but I've used a lot of gasoline this month...."

What if you had someone to split the gas with... or for that matter, someone to pay back the gas that was used to travel to Iowa?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'll keep that possibility open, punwit. Thanks for the offer.

FG

Boon
unregistered

So...

Maybe
Farmgirl and 2? of her children
punwit (and...anyone else?)
The Ketchup family of 3

Maccabeus mentioned maybe coming...if anyone talks to him, point him here please?

Bring sleeping bags and pillows...or just pillows. I should have plenty of blankets. I have a couch and loveseat, one or two twin size air mattresses, and plenty of floor. [Big Grin]

My yard is huge if anyone wants to camp out. I may do that Friday night with the kids, just because it's fun.

I'm planning on doing fun stuff Friday-Sunday. Y'all can come and go as you please, or join us in our fun.

I'll feed everyone who's here, but a head count by the morning of the 23rd will help with my shopping. Hope y'all like mac n' cheese. [Big Grin] (j/k, but I can't really accommodate special food requirements. Hope you understand.)

Okay...low-cost vacationing at it's finest. [Big Grin]

Boon
unregistered

:bump:
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if we do this next weekend (rather, weekend after next), are we no longer planning on this weekend? Haven't heard back from you on that, so...

[ June 08, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Sorry. [Blushing] Off to check my email.
Boon
unregistered

I should probably warn people that I have a cat and have a hayfield in my back yard, so if you have allergies, you may want to bring meds or something.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Are they cutting wheat in your area yet, Boon?

Still waiting for it to dry out, here...

Boon
unregistered

I don't think so. We've had a bit of a drought, so I don't think it's ripe enough yet. I know some hayfields have been cut once already though...but the one behind my house hasn't. (I'm hoping he'll cut it next week so we can fly kites during BirthdayCON. [Big Grin] )
Boon
unregistered

Boon
unregistered

Wireless internet access...

Homemade chocolate cake...

BBQ hamburgers and hotdogs one evening...

Why aren't more people coming?

[Big Grin]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

bad news.

My area had a major storm last night. (12 inches of rain, hail, major lightning). My water heater (which is electric) got fried. All controls melted. I'm thankful it didn't catch anything else in the house on fire. Anyway, it is going to be a major expense for me to replace. So I don't see myself having much traveling money for awhile.

Maybe things will look better after a few days and I'm not so glum from the storm.

FG

[ June 09, 2005, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{{{{{FG}}}}}}}} Thank goodness it was only the water heater and that everyone is okay.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Hooody carp! That stinks! [Frown]

Well, consider yourselves invited for whenever you decide you can. My doors are always open to you and yours.

Boon
unregistered

Bring tackle if you want to fish. I can also borrow some from my dad if I need to, but would rather not have to deal with his tangled mess.

[Big Grin]

Boon
unregistered

Boon
unregistered

Getting close, folks...less than 2 weeks! Yay!

Unless, of course, no one's coming after all...

[Frown]

Boon
unregistered

Guess what else I found? $1 bowling! (Only on Mondays, but still!)
Boon
unregistered

Yay! The Ketchups, at least, will be here in less than a week! I heard from Maccabeus tonight, and he's still planning to come as well...just trying to iron out details. :-)

My truck driving sister hasn't been on hometime since Christmas, and will be home for the weekend at least.

And my children are being extra good this week, offering to help with various household duties that I usually have to order them to do. I think maybe they don't want to get left out of the fun. [Big Grin]

I'm excited!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.