FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Jersey According to OSC

Author Topic: New Jersey According to OSC
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's an infuriating situation. American travelers have a right to expect that by following an interstate's signage they'll be led, without help of a roadmap, from one end to the other of the highway."

This is so true of that section of 95. Egads, one wrong move and you are the opposite of where you want to be.

This happens in Boston as well. Heaven forbid if you miss an exit. You think to yourself, OK, I will turn around at the next exit. You exit, and find yourself on some Rte ? with a median, and you think, OK, I will exit and turn around. You do. You are unable to turn around. It is quite something. You are really just supposed to know innately where to go.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Taalcon, who lives in New Jersey for at least the next few weeks, gets lost about once a week. I'll try to keep OSC's comments in mind.

[ March 24, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

There is this part where you go onto the Garden State parkway(which you do to avoid 95), and you are up about a mile high, over the water, in this tangle of roads. If you screw up, into the city you go. It is quite something.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
We gots the same sort of thing down here in West Virginia. Just take the short cut through Ted’s field and ya wind up next to the outhouse over by Bill’s Gas Station. But on the way back yous need to take the dirt road by Buck’s or the bull will get ya and those holes in yer truck can be rough to get out.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't even get me started on the "1 and 9".
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

A lovely trait of roads in Massachusetts is the multiple names thereon. If you headed towards Amherst, it is the Amherst Rd. Same road headed towards Granby is the Granby Rd. Seems simple, until that road also has a number (rte 9) and is ALSO called something else, like King's Highway. But don't worry, because you rarely find a road sign anyway.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
We have that here Elizabeth, except the different names are all Indian names or semi-obscure local culture references, like the Scajaquada (I'm still not sure what that is) or the Robert Moses Highway. Just give me numbers!

[ March 24, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

One of the roads near us, which is about three miles long, has three names if you look on Mapquest.
I end up using Jay's country approach: Take a left at the tree with a lightning scar, etc. Unfortunately, one of my landmarks can't be seen in the dark, as those who came here now know.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
They do that in Dallas - the same road will have five different names over the course of 10 miles.

My other favorite is that any road that goes in sort of a circle is Belt Line Road. No, the different Belt Line Roads do not hook up to one another.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
LJ: you forgot that the toll roads are not marked as such on maps or until you reach 2 miles of the actual road. So if you don't want to pay a toll, you have to go around.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in a town that had all kinds of confusing street names, and many of them intersect. There's an intersection of Rosemont and Montrose; one of Pinecone and Pinecrest; one of Pinecrest and Hillcrest; one of Hillcrest and Hill...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I was one of the first people to hear OSC's disdain for the NJ roadways at the Philly book signing, after he showed up about 30-40 minutes late. Interestingly, even though it was directly after the whole debacle he seemed much more jovial about it at the signing. Maybe it was all just a facade for our benefit. [Smile]

What was really funny was when someone in the audience decided to inform OSC of the correct route to take, though it obviously couldn't do him any good at that point. And then proceeded to not let up till OSC, politely, cut him off and changed the topic.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember the signing in Glendale where he complained about the LA freeway system (although I confess that I too was a tad startled to discover that the correct exit really was the Brand/Central exit).

And there wasn't even a Sears anywhere nearby! [Wink]

Wow, that was a looooong time ago.

I'd defend the state of my birth, except there's no question that the road system there is insane.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
South Jersey rules! [Cool]

North Jersey stinks! [Grumble]

[Dont Know]

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. That's NorCal, adam. Only reason it's not a separate state is Sacramento is too grabby.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The thing is, in Phoenix, where roads are straight and well named, no one knows how to turn. More accidents there than in Boston, I'd wager.
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
The proper highway to take from Pennsylvania to NYC is I-78. You get to drive through a pretty and rural part of NJ.

(lives in Hunterdon County)

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
not to mention turning into a vegetable on the NJ Turnpike. [Roll Eyes] [Sleep]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
lovely trait of roads in Massachusetts is the multiple names thereon. If you headed towards Amherst, it is the Amherst Rd. Same road headed towards Granby is the Granby Rd. Seems simple, until that road also has a number (rte 9) and is ALSO called something else, like King's Highway. But don't worry, because you rarely find a road sign anyway.
Yes, one of the things I hate about driving in Massachusetts it that they only have street signs on the side streets - everyone should know what the main streets are called, right? [Dont Know]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, Ela, you should memorize all streets in Massachusetts.

We won't even get into rotaries, and how out of staters are supposed to intrinsically know the rules of those...

Another thing that is fun on Mass Ave in Cambridge is the red-light-on-the-side-of-the-street trick. Here are four lanes of traffic with an island in between. We would not want a stop light in the middle of the road where everyone can see it, though. No, you should know there is a stop light there, dagnabbit!

rivka
Member # 4859

Are rotaries the same thing as roundabouts?
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
South Jersey rules!

North Jersey stinks!

You obviously have only limited knowledge of North Jersey. [No No]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Rotaries, roundabouts, traffic circle, Round Roads of Doom.
Ela
Member # 1365

[ROFL]
Ela
Member # 1365

And what about "Jug handles"? They have a lot of those in New Jersey...
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Now those I am not familiar with.
Ela
Member # 1365

It's a semi-circle of road - you exit onto one to the right, drive around the jug hande, and wait at a traffic light in order to cross the highway. (You can't make a left turn to get where you are going, you must use the jughandle.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Huh.

Traffic weirdnesses in NJ seem strangely similar to those in Israel.

I think that means something, but I have no idea what.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, traffic circles are common in England, I have heard. I think in Massachusetts it is the old cow path theory of road building. Hmm, looks like there's a little path worn here, let's pave the sucker and see what happens.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious how an opinion can be made of an entire state by experience of one highway. That's like saying California sucks becaue you hate the LA Freeway.

Seems a little kneejerk, if you ask me.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*shakes fist*

NorCal, adam!

rivka
Member # 4859

Am I tarring southern NY with the same brush as northern NY? [No No]

*shakes fist* [Taunt]

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm fairly certain that the weirdness of that particular highway predates CalTrans.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"I'm just curious how an opinion can be made of an entire state by experience of one highway. That's like saying California sucks becaue you hate the LA Freeway."

Are you referring to OSC? Because he was being silly about the whole thing.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
He may have approached it in a silly, tongue-in-cheek way, but there was not one positive thing written or implied about the state. And this is not the first time he's made this same rant.

It just seems that he's content to paint an entire state in broad strokes without getting off the highway, which is pretty much what everyone else does when talking about NJ, too.

It's just an old tune I've heard far too many times that wasn't that good in the first place.

[ March 25, 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, trash talking my home state again?

I'll actually say that people from the inner suburbs drive worse than Boston/Cambridge folk.

For a while, traffic circles screwed everyone up, because they changed the rules for who had the right of way... No it's the more reasonable people in the rotary have right-of-way; before it was the opposite.

Rotaries: Massachusetts' gift to traffic management. I'd be psyched if they brought back the old-school solid red-and-yellow signal for pedestrians that you only see on older traffic lights these days.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
In Chicago, you have I-90 coming in from the northwest. And it's a toll road at 1st, so it's the "Northwest Tollway." But then you get to the airport and it becomes a freeway, and now it's the "Kennedy Expressway, and it will take you into the Loop (aka "downtown Chicago.") I-94 comes toward Chicago from the north, and for about 20 miles or so before Chicago is called the "Edens Expressway." This is not to be confused with the "Edens Spur" which actually brings traffic off I-294 (the "Tri-State Tollway") over to the Edens. And when the Edens meets the Kennedy they merge and become "The Kennedy" at least until you get into the Loop, where it stay the Kennedy for a bit, but then truns into the Dan Ryan Expressway. And signs? They don't show the route number, no. They show the names. So if you don't know that I-90/94 south of the Loop is the Ryan, but north of the Loop is the Kennedy. . you are just outta luck.

And who can forget memorable names like "The North-South Tollway?" (I-355) Or "The East-West Tollway?" (I-88) "The Elgin-O'Hare Expressway?" (No number, it's just named that) Did I mention that I-290 is also called the "Eisenhower Expressway," or more lovingly "The Ike?" And don't forget. . the signs on the feeders usually only have the names but no route numbers, and yes, "Ike expy" does appear on signage too. "Bishop-Ford," "The Skyway," and . . . ya know, what we call I-55 just plain eludes me anymore. I'm sure it will come to me later, but I doubt I'll be back to edit. I'm sure you are all just crushed about that. [Razz] Oaky, I remembered. The Stevenson! So there.

And then there's the lovely part where I-90/94 is running North-South, and the signs actually *do* have the route number on them, because it's right as the names changes from the Kennedy to the Ryan (or vice-versa if you are going the other way). But they say "East" or "West" so you have to know in that section that "West" means "North" and "East" means "South."

I won't get into the landmarks like Hubbard's Cave, the Hillside Strangler, the Iron Bridge, the Mile Long Bridge and so on. I'm sure you're all confused enough as it is.

[ March 25, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Magson ]

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hey Bok, it's my home state, too!
I never said anything about Boston drivers. In fact, I think they are very good drivers, though aggressive. My point is that people from out of state have no clue about certain traffic anomalies, such as the rotary, and are doomed to drive around and around them forever.

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you're far enough north in PA to get I-78, the missing section of I-95 isn't a factor for you.
So go further north in PA. It's pretty up there. [Smile]

-----------------------

But in all seriousness, the saddest part of OSC's experience in New Jersey is the following:

quote:
driving through New Jersey is such an infuriating, ugly, disgusting (if you eat at their tollroad way stations) experience
New Jersey is one of the most ethnically diverse states in the nation, and thus is blessed with an abundance of interesting and tasty restaurants. Italian, Thai, Japanese, Colombian, Indian ... you name it, we got it, and (IMHO) more reasonably priced than in NYC. And if you like retro food in gleaming chrome-covered diners run by Greek families -- gyros, reubens, club sandwiches, hamburgers with grilled mushrooms and onions on top -- we have that, too.

In the face of such culinary riches, it is truly a tragedy that ANY visitor to the state should have to dine at TOLLROAD WAY STATIONS.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a West-stater, and had always heard the jokes about NJ on late night tv (I'm talkin' to *you* David Letterman!). My first foray into NJ proper (not counting Newark in all it's industrial oddness) was delightful! I totally got why it's called the "Garden State".

That said, the road system is atrocious. But frankly, NW New York is just as bad. It makes me miss Southern California's congested (but well-signed!) freeway system. Why don't they have SIGNS on roads in the NE??? And I miss the signs in the west where they tell you how far away cities are ("Las Vegas-60 miles, Sacramento-110 miles" etc). Ever so helpful!

*le sigh*

*misses the Southwest*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diko
Member # 6060

- posted      Profile for Diko           Edit/Delete Post 
hehe, I've done more than drive through NJ on a few occasions, my grandmother lived in central jersey, and I have two friends in south jersey (in a town so small not only doesn't it show up on the map, but it there are no signs for it on the exits...you can't find it if you don't know someone who lives there to give you directions. *snickers*).

I just drove back from NC this past weekend...alone. My first time driving alone for an extended period of time, and it was interesting. I have to say that everything between Fredericksburg, VA and...Connecticut just kinda sucks. As far as driving goes. Tolls everywhere, seriously confusing road signage (Had to get off I-95N onto I-295 on the other side of the Deleware Memorial Bridge and then immediately find the exit for 40E [which...according to the signs I saw when I was driving on it was -also- called the Atlantic City Expressway], and it was a nightmare...especially in the dark. I was so unsure of what I was supposed to be doing the whole time, and there was traffic everywhere.) The Beltways around DC and Baltimore, which I'm led to understand are supposed to relieve the pressure of too much traffic have actually held me up more than any other place I've ever driven through. It took me 3 1/2 hours to get from somewhere north of Fredericksburg, VA -to- the DC Beltway...for a total distance of about 10 miles. and it wasn't even rush hour. or a weekday for that matter.

Now, I -know- that once you get away from the highways and into the towns that NJ is prettier, but he -does- have a point that you can't tell why it's called the Garden State from the Highways. Everything is exactly the same, and it all looks rather...dull.

I love NJ, as long as I'm not on the highway. [Razz]

NYC, going over the GWB was another little bit of hell though. Almost died twice just trying to get from an EzPass lane into a Cash lane for the toll (a move of one lane to the right, I might ad). I'm very very glad that not only do -my- breaks work, but that the guy driving the big white Target truck was a good driver. (Hey, if you're out there, I'm the chick in the little beat up Toyota you almost squished, then stuck your head out of your cab and flipped me off and shouted at me. All that gesturing I was doing, I was trying to apologize! Trust me, death was something I was trying really hard to avoid, but I was scared and alone. Please forgive me!)

Anyway, I will say that on the way south to NC, when I missed the exit for the GWB and ended up in the Bronx, the people there were -very- nice and helpful getting me back to the bridge. [Big Grin]

ps...my friend in south jersey...I showed her OSC's article, and she just laughed the whole time, and said she agreed completely. She also refuses to renew her driver's license until she leaves the state (probably never).

[ March 25, 2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Diko ]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.