FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Passive Agressive Nonsense, I tell you!

Author Topic: Passive Agressive Nonsense, I tell you!
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I need help with interpreting some weird behavior.

I recently left my regular job to take some time off and think about going back to school. In order to find an interesting part time gig, I sent my resume to a colleague in a local firm that was hiring interns, on the theory that hey, I've got lots of experience, some time on my hands and probably would be less trouble than your average student hire.

She (the colleague) responded quickly--she was sure they could find something for me to do, and sent me her cell phone number. I talked with her briefly about some projects they've got going. I let her know I was definitely interested, and said I'd follow up as soon as I work out a few details and know what is feasible.

As promised, I sent her an email about a week ago, asking if she has time for lunch, and does she want to talk about these issues again?

When she responded today, asking me set up an interview with my secretary. Then, a second later, another email arrives from this person, but it's not for me, it's an email she meant to send to her secretary, saying "Please make an appointment with Bunbun, but it's not a lunch appointment. I barely know her, and she's looking for a job."

I don't know how to take this. Obviously, she's willing to make time to meet me in person, and is uncomfortable with lunch. However, I'm concerned that this person might be trying to give me the brush off.

Weird, no? I'd appreciate any insight anyone has as to a) whether I'm overreacting and b) how to go about actually setting up this appointment, or even if I should. The secretary didn't get the email, and I pretty much have to confront them with thier silliness if I want the interview.

Thanks much!

Bunbun
Mea Perplexia Culpa

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
:snort: Sorry, that is just an amazing pickle. Maybe you can forward the email to some other person and they can return it to the person who sent it with a note of "I have no idea how this got to me, but I think it is meant for someone else."
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you don't mind a little innocent manipulation that's likely to get you something to do there, respond to the missend with a super-chirpy email "just letting her know" about the accidental send, and making sure the right person got it, plus saying you'd be glad to meet with her anytime in time period X you can make.

She'll be so embarassed you're guaranteed a job [Wink] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt she sent the second one to you on purpose. I expect it was an accident and she would be embarrassed to know it happened.

As for why she wouldn't want to have a "business lunch" with someone for a "business purpose", I have no clue. There may be some important information missing that would make this all make sense. For instance would "setting up a lunch appointment" mean to the secretary that the company is supposed to pay for your lunch and she doesn't feel that is appropriate for someone she doesn't know who is looking for a job? That is just one possibility.

I know I would feel uncomfortable bringing it up in order to appease my curiosity. Maybe if you were hired and developed a comfortable relationship you could bring it up later, but by then I doubt you would care anymore.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo! I like the way you think, fugu! [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I would just call to set up the appointment with the secretary for a time other than lunch, and never mention it. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think fugu just leapt into the "devilishly evil" category. [Wink]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, just make an appointment and never mention it.

I had this happen when I was looking for my first job in consulting. I sent a resume out to a company that did exactly the kind of work for Orlando that I'd been doing for New York City. I expected some of the "we don't care how you did it up North" stuff, but not what really happened.

I got my resume back with a nice rejection letter from one company. Sadly, they forgot to take the post-its off of my resume. Various engineers had passed it around and made typical engineer-type jokes about a person without an engineering degree. Things like "with a degree in Psychology, he could probably get a job in a toll booth."

Nice. I let the owner of the company know in that case. Not that I would ever go work there, but that I was concerned that they could easily be sued by someone who had less of a sense of humor than I do.

He bought me lunch. Didn't give me a job, but that's okay. Companies run by engineers for engineers aren't really all that open to anyone else. I'd've been far too easy to fire during downturns in a place like that. And I could never be allowed to supervise engineers.

Sheesh.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Thanks, all!

I think I'll just make the appointment, but I am sorely tempted to go the super-chirpy route.

Bob, I love the sticky story. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone and there's always light at the end of the career tunnel.

Eve

[ March 24, 2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: bunbun ]

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

For someone with the name bunbun, you need to work on enacting your evil urges.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone once suggested she was really a kiki.

It didn't go over too well, even though she likes shiny things.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... there are sluggy fans here. thought I was the only one..

although the current storyline leaves much to be desired.

Oh, for the old days...

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I kind of like the current storyline. It's just suffering due to Pete's excruciating inability to meet deadlines.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the current storyline, too. I'm hoping the aliens stick around for a while. They can try to probe the Mark whatever, if Riff ever gets it back.

But yes, it needs to pick up the pace, even though these are my favorite filler since the lego strips.

Oh, and adam, that sucks. But at least you got the job.

[ March 25, 2005, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Deserves to be embarassed? No, but its a minor embarassment, it may help her double check in the future, it'd improve bunbun's chances of a position, and done right it can also be a bonding moment they can both laugh at in the future.
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Show up to her house rending your clothes and weeping. I have yet to find a social issue that this response doesn't fix.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having trouble following the current storyline.. I don't like when he does complicated drawings. It's hard to make out what the pictures are.. I miss the old style where they all lived at home and Riff made things and had to check his notes. It was better.

I'm just going to wait until this storyline is over and then read it in the archives so I can make better sense of it all together. Then hopefully it'll get better after that.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.