FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Light reading

Author Topic: Light reading
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you read when you're travelling?

I'm going on a long train trip soon. Usually for travelling I only bring along light reading -- "fun" stuff that's easy to read -- has a good plot, humor, usually cheerful, etc. I can't concentrate on more serious fiction when travelling, and maybe I'll take along one good nonfiction book for when I've the energy for reading something with more, er, fiber.

Good travel reading = Terry Pratchett, Harry Potter books, mysteries (Janet Evanovich, Lawrence Block "Burglar" books, Gregory MacDonald "Fletch" books)...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to remember for a second...Oh wait. Everything I've ever read while traveling has been Orson Scott Card. Wierd how that happens...Seems like every time I need to travel I have just gotten one of his books.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee. I know this is about light reading but ironically when traveling I tend to read the more compliated books because I'm trapped and they're the only thing I have to do! [Monkeys]

Light reading for me is J. K. Rowling, OSC, Sean McMullen (who's always a laugh), other Fantasy and Science Fiction...

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Last road trip we listened to the audio books of the Dune series.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents have the radio series of HHGTTG and a dramaticisation of David Copperfield. Many a car trip has been filled with one or the other.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from a trip. I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Ender's Game, and Ender's Shadow. So I don't think I'll be much help......
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love to bring mysteries, especially Tony Hillerman. Whatever I take is always small, though, so I can stuff it in my purse. In fact, I just got a new purse which is big enough to easily hold a book, and I may stuff one in there and leave it for emergencies, like doctor's office waits and times like that.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Christopher Buckley.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
I don´t think I am in to very light reading while travelling, but if you want something light you could always try David Eddings´ books. Most of them are quite fun and not particularly heavy.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
It's really hard to read a book while driving so I don't usually read on road trips. When I go out to sea is totally different. I've brought books ranging from geneology to celtic mythology to Dean Koontz novels. Not that I have time to read them [Grumble] .
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.