FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Warhammer 40,000

Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

- posted      Profile for Jerrod Fortner   Email Jerrod Fortner         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone here who has ever played the Tabletop game Warhammer 40,000? I would like to meet fellow players.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I have played it, along with most of the other games published by Games Workshop. I prefer the grand scale of Epic or the irreverent mayhem of Blood Bowl, though. It seems to me that a portentuous sentence like "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war" is rather wasted on a skirmish-level game. Planetary invasions! We want planetary invasions!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played epic and both 40K and the Fantasy setting. It's been a long while, but I've always said that I'd like to get back into it once I have a permanent location and a job that supplies me with enough money to indulge in such an expensive hobbey.

Really what I miss is painting the models [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

- posted      Profile for Jerrod Fortner   Email Jerrod Fortner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to play epic, but I would really rather just stick to Playing 40k. I have been playing since I was ten, but I have only now gotten an army, World Eater Chaos Marines, with Abbadon as the HQ choice. Im currently saving up to get a Defiler and a Daemon prince, along with two more squads of Chaos Terminators. I am also working on Making my own chapter of Astartes. It is actually the same chapter as the one I wrote about in my Fanfiction, Leo Imperator Mortalis.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I did play Warhammer 40k briefly, but the cost and fluctuating rules was a turn-off.

At some point, I was going to use squad level battles using the Necromunda rules for person-to-person engagement which was infinitely cheaper and much more entertaining than larger scale army battles, in my humble opinion.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played 40K and fantasy.
I haven't played it in years- my brothers and I used to play togeather when we were kids.

My favourite part, though, was painting the models (which worked out perfectly as my brother's prefered to play over paint.) I still have a big tub full of all our stuff in the basement. (I played chaos and orks in 40k)

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Waagh, da Orks! Always my favourites. I do feel the designers screwed them over a bit in the early editions, though - their weapons were apparently intended more for amusement value than actual effect. Take the Snotling Attack Gun; ok, the concept of three dozen madly defecating Snotlings appearing inside someone's armour is fun enough, but how often did the thing actually hit?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

That's because orks were never meant to use sophisticated weapons - considering they could walk through massed lasgun fire and not get so much as a light tan.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

In the early editions, that worked only so well. I usually played against Space Marine armies, and massed bolter fire tended to bother even Orks.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Which is true, but orks outnumbered Space Marines at least what, three to one? Marines were not cheap and Orks gave new meaning to Expendable Life Form.

Which irritated the Eldar to no end. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, yes, but you'd lose two Orks getting in close and the third one wasn't really a match for a Space Marine even in close combat.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't played any table tops yet, but I heard Mage Knight was a lot cheaper and just as fun as Warhammer.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mage Knight is only cheaper if you play in very small squads without the intention of optimizing your army. If you actually start "collecting" Mage Knight, it very rapidly becomes more expensive than Warhammer. Which you find more fun depends in large part on the scale at which you prefer to fight your battles.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, its even more cheese based than 40k, hard as that is to believe.

An excellent cheap tabletop game is Mordheim, which is great fun in multiplayer in particular.

Or any of the much, much, much simpler (and cheaper) matrix games, actually. They're always a blast, and I know the creator. http://www.mapsymbs.com/wdmatrix.html

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrod Fortner
Member # 7510

I dont know so much about the Orks being horrible in close combat against Astartes. My friends dad once lost a terminator sergeant to a Grot in Hand-to-hand
TMedina
Member # 6649

It's a rule - you can only lose Terminators in battle against wooden spears and goblins.

-Trevor

King of Men
Member # 6684

Hehe, my Grots once managed to kill not one, but two Chaos Terminators (from Abaddon's retinue, no less) in hand-to-hand combat. My friend was just a touch annoyed; for years afterwards he'd groan if you mentioned Grots and Terminators in the same breath. Still, these are exceptions.

The new Orks are much better, what with their choppas and serious close-combat optimisation. Everything counts in large amounts. And with the nerfing of individual characters (long overdue) you can actually buy twenty Boyz and have them be more than cannon fodder.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.