FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » oh, CRAP!! :( It's a sucky world. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: oh, CRAP!! :( It's a sucky world.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7326932/
quote:
Douglas S. Smith Jr. was charged with one felony count of having photos that show "minors engaging in sexually explicit conduct."

Sources in the U.S. Attorney's office told NBC that Smith was expected to plead guilty.

The images were of young boys and the investigation started in Germany, the sources added.

In a statement Tuesday, the Boy Scouts of America said it had no indication of prior criminal activity.

"We are dismayed and shocked to learn of the charge," it said. "Smith was employed by the organization for 39 years, with no indication of prior criminal activity. He was not in a leadership position which involved working directly with youth."

We just got an e-mail about it. I don't know any of the people involved. Blech.

[ March 29, 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap. [Mad]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You work for BSA, right?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Yes. National headquarters.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I told ya! I told ya! Them there queers just ain't to be trusted.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
What a scary picture!

Sure, we don't want any agnostics or athiests, but this guy's okay running our organization.

*I apologize, that is a cheap shot, please take it in the spirit of irony I saw in it....

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
That stinks.
Somehow you gotta hope it’s not true.
But if it is, you hope he’s put away for good. Look at the guy down in Florida who should have been in jail but wasn’t and killed that little girl.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

It's not a cheap shot - it's not even a shot, Erik. He was ousted as soon as the charges were even spoken of. Obviously, not it's not okay.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of very good people in the BSA, so I hope this one person doesn't tarnish the entire organization.

I had heard about this yesterday on the news, but didn't think about how it might affect you LJ. Hopefully it doesn't affect your office in a bad way.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
True enough.

Edit to add: I guess it's my own bitterness talking. I'd like my son to get the benefits of the scouts as I did, but when they find out about me....

Oh well. I wouldn't want them talking about that stuff anyway.

Maybe I can find a good martial arts program for him....

[ March 29, 2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some people who work for BSA, and I've always been impressed with them.

This is a shame, but it sounds like BSA immediately took action, which is good.

I just hate that there are people out there like that at all. [Frown] It really burns me up to hear of children being exploited.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Kat.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

[Smile] Thanks, CT, but I'm not personally affected. I don't know anything more than what is reported in the article, and I haven't met the person in question - different department. It's bad for kids exploited along the way, and it's bad for BSA in general. I think they handled as best as possible under the circumstances, though.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I know. It's just another downer, and on some days dealing with such things hits you harder than others. I was feeling for the "oh, CRAP!!" part of you.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this earlier this morning. It's such a sad thing. I thought about making a thread about it, but didn't want it to seem like "Hey Kat, check out the perv you had working there with you!". I guess I'm glad you didn't know the guy.

[ March 29, 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Heh. I didn't have any idea until I got the e-mail, then went looking for a news article to link.

You're so sweet, CT. [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It truly sucks. Child molesters purposely seek out jobs or volunteer jobs that are around kids--so that they can find victims.

It isn't the fault of the BSA, they're just one of those organizations.

[Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad]

I get so angry at kids being abused.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I told ya! I told ya! Them there queers just ain't to be trusted.
Please tell me you were being ironic. I'd hate to have to once again point out that homosexuality and pedophilia are two very separate and very distinct phenomena.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

And Kat, I'm sorry, too. I'm an Eagle Scout and still believe there are many good aspects to the scouting program.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
hear hear
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please tell me you were being ironic. I'd hate to have to once again point out that homosexuality and pedophilia are two very separate and very distinct phenomena.
I admit that I tend to ignore jebus when he's being ludicrous like this, but I am ashamed that none of us called him on that already.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand WHAT is going on with jebus lately.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

No Karl, I was being dead serious.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

In that case, [Roll Eyes]
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't understand WHAT is going on with jebus lately.
I think he's on the down-side of his psychosis cycle.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't noticed any changes in Jeebsy lately. He's being his normal, Jebus self. I think you guys just take him too seriously.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it Eljay, but I'm not surprised to hear a mule bray.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The comment is in poor taste, particularly when a number of people do believe the two issues to be intertwined.

Unless of course, Jeebus happens to believe this. In which case, I refer you to my earlier comment.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, I wasn't surprised he said it, T. I feel bad that I just dismissed it instead of saying something. Because it is incredibly inappropriate and offensive, and the fact that it probably is so on purpose doesn't mean it should just be ignored.

And Uhleeuh, he claims to be serious, how else are we supposed to take him? Like a child who shouldn't be held accountable for his own actions?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "like a child" part, at least, is accurate.

But I think most children are accountable for their own actions, if in a more limited sense.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it was meant as an attack on the Boy Scouts.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

I'm not going to pretend to know what Jebus thinks or believes, but I didn't read it as him being serious. I took it to mean two things: 1)that some people will make the false connection between pedophilia and homosexuality and 2)as a comment closely related to what Erik Slaine said above, only replace agnostics/athiests with homosexuals. I could just be misinterpreting, it's been known to happen.

And Eljay, Jebus is a sarcastic guy and I'm pretty sure that was another case of it. But like I said before, I could be wrong. Take him as seriously as you would like.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* Pick your fights Eljay - if I got into a proverbial scrap every time someone said something that offended me, I'd never be able to afford bail.

-Trevor

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't think Jebus was serious, either, I think he was immature.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

[Cry]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhleeuh, just because jebus is often over-the-top sarcastic doesn't mean he should get a free pass for his offensive comments, does it?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

No, I don't think he should be able to go around offending people but at the same I happen to think he was making a comment on the organization-which has policies I find much more offensive than Jeebus' comment, but that's not the topic here- and not on homosexuals or homosexuality being wrong/evil/pedophiles/etc...so, I honestly don't think taking it at face value is a wise move. *shrug*

edit: I took Jebus' comment as supportive of homosexuals. But it's all in the interpretation. [Wink]

[ March 29, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Uhleeuh ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

See, T, for me it's a question of manners. This particular issue is not one that affects me too much personally. It does affect KarlEd and Telp personally, among others. So I would consider it the gracious thing to do to comment on the inappropriateness of this first, so they either a) didn't have to or b) know in advance that they are supported here, and can comment without feeling alone.

Not that I think either of them would need that support. But it's always nice to have it, and, like I said, it's the kind of way I want to act. Proper manners.

KarlEd
Member # 571

Thanks Eljay.

In retrospect, I should have just ignored it like everyone else. My first instinct was to do so. I didn't listen. [Wall Bash]

TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't know why you're aggravated Karl - if someone rather flippantly suggested I was a pedophile, I'd be a little incensed too.

-Trevor

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why anyone takes Jeebsy seriously when he makes remarks like that - he is well known for being sarcastic.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Kat. [Frown]

-o-

I read the comment the way Uhleeuh did: support for homosexuals and criticism of the BSA, phrased sarcastically.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

My second thought was that it might have been meant ironically, that's why I worded my first post the way I did. Jebus replied that he was serious. It's very possible that he was still being ironic or just trying to stir something up. If the former, a smiley might have helped. If the latter, I'm sorry I took the bait.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's very possible that he was still being ironic or just trying to stir something up.
Yeah. Both, I think. No smilies, because it isn't about you, it's about how riled up he can get people. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd, I would say Jebus was definitely being ironic.

That's his style.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
When in doubt, ignore jebus.

[ March 30, 2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice, AntiCool. Works for me. [Wink]

Katie, I'm really sorry about that. I don't think it's the organization's fault that this stuff happens.

But my boys will never be scouts. Not because of one incident like this, but because several former boyscouts of my acquaintance have told me they were molested during scouting activites, and strongly suggested against letting my kids join.

Maybe I just happen to know every single molested boyscout personally, and it isn't that common, but the fact that I have come in contact with several... I choose to take it as a warning from the universe at large directed at me and my boys personally.

I was a girl scout for many years, so I know scouting can be great, but they can learn most of that stuff from their dad and they have other social outlets.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'll chime in with - I had a mixed experience with Scouting, but that was because of other Scouts and not the adults.

As a general rule, we always had at least three adults on any particular excursion, all of them parents of kids in the troop itself.

But you have to do what feels right for you Olive - and if you're not comfortable with the notion of your boys in Scouts, go with it.

That said, I had fun mucking through the woods, white-water rafting and rappelling - even if my dad told me to jump out of a window with a rope that wasn't tied off. But that's another story. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
We muck about in the woods, go rafting and stuff as a family anyway. But yeah. [Smile]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.