FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stan Rogers

Author Topic: Stan Rogers
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed KQ's mention of Stan Rogers in a thread over in the OSC forum, but didn't think it appropriate to post a reply there.

I've known about Barrett's Privateer's for over a year, but didn't know the artist. Recently I found out about Mr. Rogers and have really been enjoying his music. "Northwest Passage" is a great song, but I love "The Idiot," "Flowers of Bermuda," and "The Witch of the Westmoreland" even more.

Anyone who won't sneer at folk music should seriously give his music a listen.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(Welcome to Hatrack! [Smile] )

Northwest Passage is one of my all-time favorites.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Idiot" is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time! If you enjoy Stan's music, I wholeheartedly recommend the music of Kate Wolf, as well. I was reminded of her music the first time I heard the music of Stan Rogers, and when I talked to my dad about it, found out that they were friends, too. [Smile] They travelled in the same circles and, though the music itself is different, hers influenced more by country than most of his, the feeling behind it is the same.

I'm so glad to find another Stan Rogers fan! *dances and goes to put on Turnaround in celebration*

Edit: Two SR fans! And one is CT! I love you even more than I knew! *throws arms ecstatically around CT* [Blushing] *backs off* I'm not stalking you, really.

[ March 29, 2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Folk music was very much the music of childhood, with Stan head and shoulders above the rest. Listening to him really makes me miss Nova Scotia. We always used to put on "Between the Breaks" and sing along while we cooked dinner together. Ah, memories.

I don't know what you've heard, but other classics are 45 years, The Mary Ellen Carter, and Lies.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen [Kiss]

[Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*loves all those songs*

And also Bluenose, and Jeannie C., and The Field Behind the Plow, and...

[Big Grin]

I'm not alone!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

CT: [Big Grin] [Kiss] [Blushing] [Big Grin]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Influenced by country more than Stan? Man, I don't know... Maybe influenced by *your* country than Stan was, but heck, he's widely regarded as the best Canadian folk singer ever and, unlike so many others, his music defines more than just one region. Pretty impressive when you consider just how stupidly large this country is.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Bob, that's how I feel about Kate Wolf. We used to listen to her while driving every vacation. I also have fond memories of Infamous Angel by Iris DeMent playing while we cooked dinner. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I meant country-western. She plays some stuff that's almost bluegrassy. [Smile]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Ah so. I thought you meant a source of inspiration. Ok, I can respect you again [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Not to say he wasn't; a lot of his stuff has that country-folk sound. But a lot of her stuff is more on the country than the folk side, at least to my ear.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, I have your respect? I'm flattered. [Blushing]
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard almost all the songs the rest of you have mentioned, but I'll have to go check out Kate Wolf. Happy to see there are other Rogers/OSC fans out there!

Harris and the Mare, Rolling Down to Old Maui, and Giant are also excellent songs.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm currently listening to Home in Halifax, a live album, because of this thread, and I'm so glad. Thanks for starting this thread and reminding me I hadn't listened to it in a while. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.