FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help us find/make a cake top ornament that doesn’t gag us out (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help us find/make a cake top ornament that doesn’t gag us out
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, the link doesn't work.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting in at quarter past eleven AM.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
It's expensive, but get a load of this!
Cool, but perhaps too small.

[ March 29, 2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus...

My phone never rang, but I see I have 2 missed calls. Crud.

We will be in Ames tomorrow. Call when you are done picking up the rental car and we'll figure out timing. It sounds like we should be able to meet for lunch. I've got appointments and then we're going to pay for tuxes, etc., in downtown Ames.

Only 40-50 minute drive from the DesMoines airport, so it should work pretty closely.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've got appointments and then we're going to pay for tuxes, etc.,
And buy dinosaurs.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yeah, 'cuz we ran out of relatives to send looking for them.
dkw
Member # 3264

They're extinct.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hmm...

I wonder if Lego makes posable dinosaurs.

beverly
Member # 6246

Perhaps too weird/cute
And this just might be fun to have as wedding decor. [Smile]

Ooo, this one gets my vote, especially since they are selling two identical ones!!

Edit: I think last link is working now....

[ March 29, 2005, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Weebles?
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think they make wedding dresses and tuxes the right size for these?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Hmm. My weebles are all siblings (and the dog), so that would be weird.

ElJay, which ones do you have again?

beverly
Member # 6246

I dunno about for the cake, but this would be a cute wedding gift!
rivka
Member # 4859

Bob, like these?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Bev, that art glass one is gorgeous, but shipping from the Ukraine takes too long. [Frown]
beverly
Member # 6246

This one could be Dana! I like it. It's graceful. [Smile]

Edit: Dana, that's too bad. [Frown] I didn't notice that.

Edit2: And check out that last seller, Dana, they have other glass blown dinos--though I didn't see any stegosauruses. [Frown]

[ March 29, 2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

rivka! [ROFL]

We live in wonderful times, don't we?

[Big Grin]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

beverly, those are beautiful!
beverly
Member # 6246

Well, if you did want to go with the silly bear dressed as a stegosaurus, here is the perfect complement. [Big Grin]

Actually, as a pair, I think those could be pretty cool!

[ March 29, 2005, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

beverly
Member # 6246

Playdough dinos!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's a working link.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I think the stegasaurus one is absolutely adorable.

But the triceratops won't work -- no creature representing me would ever wear pink. It just wouldn't happen.

dkw
Member # 3264

Jon Boy, that's beautiful.
beverly
Member # 6246

How 'bout some overpriced lead on your cake? Mmmmmm....

Sorry that pink won't work. I can totally understand that.

*goes to see if there is a different color option*

Edit: How do you fancy being a rex?

[ March 29, 2005, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

dkw
Member # 3264

Ooo! Ooo! Now I know how the dinosaurs died out!

They were made out of lead, and they were too heavy and got bogged down in the cheesecake and suffocated!

rivka
Member # 4859

*shudder* That one looks rather like a green Barney.
beverly
Member # 6246

[ROFL]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

perfect!
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thsi thread is so cool.
It's making me think of weird things I'd put on a wedding cake if by some fluke someone wanted to marry me.
Such as ninja, samurai....... All of the members of Dir en grey despite the fact that that has nothing to do with getting married.. ah, well.
*Thinks the stegasaurus idea is priceless*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Not a stegosaurus but could go with one....

Syn, I know what you mean. I wish I could go back and do something wacky with our cake topper. Ours was a ceramic Manti Temple, the temple we were married in. I still have it. [Smile]

beverly
Member # 6246

Rather unique glass "stego".

Not a dino, but from the same seller.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw that sounds so cool!
It would be nice to have maybe... a small scale model of Minias Tirith because that building just looked so cool
Maybe a ring wraith or one of the wraiths with the fell beasts... so cool

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Oh my stars! Gorgeous! Are selling another different one. No stegos though. [Frown] And pricey.
beverly
Member # 6246

Local glass-blown stego for ya! [Smile]

This same seller has other glass-blown dinos.

Different stego design

Actually, just look here .

[ March 30, 2005, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the dinosaur idea [Big Grin] .

quote:
"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal"

And what's more, I get this!

*feels completely enlightened*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Now Bob's looking at fossils. Maybe we could do a skull-flower Georgia O'Keefe kind of combo.
beverly
Member # 6246

I like the reference too. Works especially well if they get a stego-rex pair. [Wink]

One you can paint

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Just go to a grocery store and get something from the quarter machines and put that on your cake.

I can see it now. Beautiful cake topped with a hot pink ninja and a homie.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O, I also vote for the lava lamps. One's sparkly and white and one's black! How perfect is that!!?!?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Toys R Us usually has some really nice realistic looking dinos in the science section. If you have a Natural History Museum nearby they should have nice dinos as well.

Toys R Us and K-Bee should both have appropriate lego sets, maybe even dino legos.

If you could find dino shaped candy molds, that might be kinda fun, an edible couple on top, but not if you want it as a keepsake.

Our wedding cake was a sheet cake frosted sky blue. A small heart cake was off near the corner and frosted white. rainbow made from sprinkled colored sugar started at the heart and descended to the pottom of the cake on a diagonal. It was pretty, but neither of us wanted a cake keepsake.

We had some friends who got a knight and a princess from toyknights.com for their cake. Someone else got two dragons (a red and a blue) from the same place for their cake, that was cute.

*babbling*

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
What about marzipan? You can make anything out of marzipan and it's not super expensive. If there are any Greek bakeries near you, they should have some.

I wanted glaceed fruit on my cake, but the stupid baker didn't do it and refused to get it from anywhere else (I had to use the baker contracted by my venue). On the way to the rehearsal dinner, my attendants and I stopped at the best Greek bakery in NYC (Omonia in Queens, 4 blocks from where I used to live) and got 5 pounds of marzipan fruit. It turned out to be about 4 pounds more than we needed, but we decorated the cake ourselves and it turned out great.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kira_marx/detail?.dir=e208&.dnm=7d85.jpg&.src=ph

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseable Nurse
Member # 7162

- posted      Profile for Poseable Nurse           Edit/Delete Post 
The Poseables come through. Once again success comes to those who are too dumb to give up. I have picked up the dresses, found Krabby's shoes and other stuff she didn't think about until on the road, and most assuredly procured the cake top. Now all I have to do is figure out how to carve a wedding dress. With an empire waist of course. This ought to be a two or three beer job. See ya tomorrow.

[ March 30, 2005, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Poseable Nurse ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try on my dress for me, too, to make sure it fits?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
found Krappy's shoes
uh....did KrabbyPatty's name suddenly get changed to something that means something totally different Posable??

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That, or Posable's already started on those beers. [Wink]
ElJay
Member # 6358

There is also the very real possibility that Posable just can't spell. I know that seems remote in this particular case, considering the change the mistake made, but it is possible.

Edit: For spelling. [Big Grin] I take after him.

[ March 30, 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseable Nurse
Member # 7162

While the steamed wood cools:

No I did not try on any of the dresses. They were all too large, or at least you hope that is true as large will be easier to hide than too small.

After putting up with her for 40 or 50 years or however long it has been I have the right to call Krabby by her first name.

There have been many things that I have made or done for my daughters that I have said I would never do again. Wooden wedding dresses have just moved to the top of that list. This thing is getting so thin that if anyone touches the skirt it will crack. Too bad we don't have time for an epoxy coating.

[ March 30, 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Poseable Nurse ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

OMG [Eek!]

You're MAKING a wooden dress for the posable_bride?

Poseable Nurse
Member # 7162

Bob, check your email, it's done. Good Night. We will be there around noon.
ElJay
Member # 6358

He likes a challenge. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.