FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » dinosaur soft tissue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: dinosaur soft tissue
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out! I thought it was really interesting that they may have found soft tissue that survived in any form after MILLIONS OF YEARS. Maybe soon scientist will actually admit that dinos didn't go extinct that long ago and that man actually contributed to their demise. I mean, really, why did so many cultures mention dragons in their mythology and art? Because they co-existed with us and Sir George actually DID slay a dragon.
CNN.com

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
**********COUGH*************** hack hack*** Cough ****cough
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- hands Jay a cough drop.

[Wink]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Oh by the way, I’m one of the few who will agree with ya though!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, really, why did so many cultures mention dragons in their mythology and art? Because they co-existed with us and Sir George actually DID
That is certainly one explination. Do you agree that there are many other explinations that fit the facts?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

I came to my conclusions years ago, and I've read some of the other theories, but they just don't make as much sense to me. 'People saw dino bones hundreds of years ago and made up myths about them' that sort of thing. I mean there are written accounts about dragons and were treated as fact by the people of those cultures. The artwork depicting them has them right alongside creatures that still exist. To me it just makes sense that the reason so many cultures mentioned dragons (african, south american, europe, china, even north american natives) is because they lived alongside dinosaurs. And what the heck is that Loch Ness monster? Easy, a dinosaur.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Well, of course it all came from the biblical description of the Leviathan:

Job 41- 19 Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.

Tales of unknown creatures make sense in a biblical framework of history.

Wonder where they got it all from…..

AntiCool
Member # 7386

Crotalus, I'm not asking you what theory seems most plausable to you.

I'm asking if you are willing to admit that there are other theories that could explain the facts.

Are you?

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

Sure. But what are they?
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
*gets a tub of popcorn*

*sits back to watch*

*crunch*

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Do you admit that, however implausible it seems to you, that the commonly held view on dinosaurs explains the facts well?
Jay
Member # 5786

The common view that dinosaurs died millions of years ago yet somehow we have images of them as dragons and legends in the bible but of course had never dug any up. Sure that makes perfect sense. Silly me.
Crotalus
Member # 7339

To answer your last question AntiCool: No.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Crotalus, folk belief in small, sometimes malevolent, sometimes helpful humanoids is pretty much global as well. What do you make of this?

Edit--I'm honestly curious to know what you think about this, by the way. I can think of a number of arguments you might make in response to this question, and I'm curious to know if I've guessed the one you subscribe to.

[ March 31, 2005, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The common view that dinosaurs died millions of years ago yet somehow we have images of them as dragons and legends in the bible but of course had never dug any up. Sure that makes perfect sense. Silly me.
And yet your belief in the literal truth of a revision of a revision of a two-thousand-year-old book that describes the divine creator of the universe and everything in it wandering about setting bushes on fire in the Middle East is utterly unshakeable. Yes, of course, that makes so much more sense. Silly me.

Whoo boy I'm touchy this morning. I shouldn't post this. And yet, somehow, I can't resist...

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Set one bush on fire and everyone thinks you’re a pyro…
Revision of a revision? Interesting. Sure there are translations into other languages but the original Greek and Hebrew are pretty much set in stone (pun intended).

[ March 31, 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Jay ]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

Crotalus, what are some of the phenomenon that you believe cannot be explained by the idea that dinosaurs died out millions of years ago?

Now, to clarify -- I'm talking about explinations that while they may seem farcical to you, still can explain the facts. For example, possible explinations of why all cultures have dragons that don't involve humans co-habitating with dinosaurs include:

1. People found dino bones, and extrapolated from there. (I know this seems far-fetched to you, but it explains it just fine.)
2. People extrapolated dragons from lizards, just like they extrapolated giants from humans.
3. Although we call them all dragons, the dragons in different cultures are drastically different. Some of them are more similar to dogs than they are to dinosaurs.

OK, now that I've said that, what are some of the phenomena that you don't think can be explained by the "scientific" view of dinosaurs?

[ March 31, 2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I mean there are written accounts about dragons and were treated as fact by the people of those cultures."

Explain giants, unicorns, vampires, and fairies. I'll wait. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

How universal are unicorns? Isn't that pretty much a western thing?

[ March 31, 2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

twinky
Member # 693

How about those Japanese legends about tentacle monsters? Oh, wait, that's anime... [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"How universal are unicorns? Isn't that pretty much a western thing?"

Nope. Unicorns are pretty universal, although they're not all white and fond of virgins.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And what the heck is that Loch Ness monster?
A hoax. The people who took the original photographs have admitted that. They faked it.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Do Virgins Taste Better Medley [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Non-sequitir, anyone?
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, people are talking about dragons, and then Tom mentioned virgins, and naturally my mind went to a song about dragons and virgins. Just listen to the song, will ya?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know if they would have supported the notion that there were many Gods, presided over by a storm God who had defeated his father for the position, back when most of the known world had a similar myth.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Most of the known world? Known to who?
Jay
Member # 5786

Interesting articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn
The one cave drawing almost could be considered some kind of dinosaur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire
Wow... I wonder if somehow cultures were all closer at the beginning. And spoke the same language. Maybe some kind of dividing of the tongues. Wait…. Was there a big tower. Tower of Babble or something. I don’t know. Silly me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairies
Very interesting. Tom I think you might be onto something here. Seems like that the cultures are closer then we ever suspected. All these similar tales.

Another interesting tale in multiple cultures is the flood:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah

Thanks for pointing this out Tom. It’s been very helpful.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Very interesting. Tom I think you might be onto something here. Seems like that the cultures are closer then we ever suspected. All these similar tales."

Yes, that's certainly one interpretation. I like how Sesame Street's on the air in hundreds of countries around the world, too, thus proving that Big Bird really exists. [Smile]

I think what this really proves is that mankind hungers for story, and certain narratives are more compelling -- or seem to answer more questions -- than others, especially as a society develops. Everyone needs an origin myth; everyone needs a giant or a dragon or "Little People" to account for missing socks.

Urban legends and sock-eating dryer monsters play the same role in modern myth.

[ March 31, 2005, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Known to each other. In this case, we're talking Europe, primarily southern, mediterranean and north african, middle eastern, and much of southeast asia. Which together make up a big chunk of the world as a whole.

That is, the largest chunk of the world that had regular contact with other parts of itself -- in a networked sense, the most "connected" part of the world.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You're reaching on that cave drawing, Jay. If I may say: you're trying to fit that picture into your foregone conclusion. I say that because, to me, that looks no more like a dinosaur than any other cave drawing I've seen. And just so we're clear, all cultures believe in hairy horned horses because giant scaly lizards slept in the next cave over?

What do vampires have to do with the Tower of Babble? That you can gain power by taking the essence of a man is a common thread in all cultures, and not hard to see why. It's not such a leap to vampires. What are you talking about? Do you always insinuate things because you don't know the point you're trying to make and trust us to make it for you?

And your flood link talks of Christian, Islamic, and Jewish flood traditions. Well... of course they have them, but that hardly speaks for all the other cultures. Not to mention that the flood myth could just as easily come from the end of the ice age. For that matter, one could argue that the flood myth in the bible is also derived from the end of the ice age. So I think this argument holds no water (har har).

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Sauropods and humans could have coexisted at some point in recorded history. After all, we've still got crocodilians, which remain largely unchanged from their fossilized ancestors.

Fossilized remains of any particular land-dwelling creature are extremely rare. Fossilization requires a unique set of circumstances. Usually the creature has to be buried almost immediately following death, probably by some sort of natural disaster like a flood or volcanic eruption. Even tar pits containing animal remains are fairly rare.

By the time humans came on the scene, any surviving species of sauropods would have found themselves being hunted and eaten faster than they could die and be fossilized by natural causes. We don't find too many fossils of cattle and chickens do we?

Also, we haven't had a major fossil-creating event since humans came on the scene. So we have no idea what sort of creatures the early humans might have encountered.

One thing's for sure, humans have demonstrated the ability to hunt anything that is slow, ugly, or tasty to extinction.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
We don't find too many fossils of cattle and chickens do we?
No, but don't we find a lot of their bones in the garbage pits of early humans.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Crocodilians aren't sauropods, or particularly close relatives, or particularly alike in their ability to survive natural disaster (due to being in a completely different ecological niche).

Also, one thing we do find plenty of are bones left behind by our feasting ancestors -- had our ancestors been eating sauropods, we would likely have found those as well.

Not to mention there are no images on cave walls (and other locations) that look like even a near approximation of a sauropod -- there are plenty of rather clear images of many other sorts of creatures.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Heh, great minds think alike, mph.
Jay
Member # 5786

Well, Big Bird does exist. Don’t you ever watch TV? How can you call his existence into question? He’s a guy in a puppet suit in some Hollywood studio. But we’re getting sidetracked here.

So many similar stories in ancient cultures doesn’t point to some kind of connection? Yes, the Tower of Babble where everyone spoke the same language after the flood would help explain this interesting common thread across vastly distant cultures. Stories passed down before the tongues were divided. Hence my point was that the similar stories about giants, unicorns, vampires, and fairies could have been told before the Tower of Babble. Christian, Islamic, and Jewish aren’t the only cultures to have flood stories. Australian Aboriginal flood stories for example: http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/3764.asp

twinky
Member # 693

Don't floods happen every year in all manner of places around the world?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jay, did you read that book I recommended to you once?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Yes, there are annual floods all over, but I was meaning world wide flood examples when I say the flood. Sorry.

I remember looking at that book, but no, I didn’t get it. Sorry

Noemon
Member # 1115

Jay is right about the ubiquity of flood myths--virtually all cultures seem to have them. Twinky is right that floods are a threat that faces virtually every culture at some time or another, and I don't find it to be much of a stretch to believe that those devistating floods were immortalized in myth.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yes, because clearly it was possible for ancient people to tell that a flood was global.

Note that in many of the ancient legends it only talks about the huge flood rising to the height of the rooftops or the trees -- hardly a global level.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly recommend it. It's really good. heck, I might be tempted to part with my copy... [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Sure the flood stories could be connected that way. How about the rest though? Seems like there are countless examples of similar cultural stories like this.

I honestly forget the title of the book you recommended. I imagine there would be a copy of it on eBay or Amazon that I could get for chump change.

Crotalus
Member # 7339

My whole point in posting to begin with is to say how ludicrous it is to believe that soft tissue of any kind would be preserved for MILLIONS OF YEARS. Think about how long just one million years is. As for fairies I'm sure I was expected to retort with explaining them away as demons, or maybe I was supposed to cite the recent 'hobbit' find. Unicorns? Whose to say they didn't once exist. We do have Narwhals. As for my original argument, here is a link of interest to support it.

link

Jay
Member # 5786

Crotalus,
Neat site. I like it. And agree with you.
Don’t get discouraged! I know they can be harsh. But I need ya dude! Occasional is one of the only other ones around who helps me out sometimes! Well, ok Farmgirl too, but she can be shy with these touchy ones.
By the way, we need an intro from ya. Where you’re from and what you do and all that.
Anyway….. thanks!

Noemon
Member # 1115

Actually, it never occurred to me that you might believe in demons. The small hominid fossil find did occur to me as one possibility. I'm still interested to hear what your thoughts on the matter are, if you'd care to share.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Crotalus -- in case you missed it in all the threads since then, I asked you a specific question. What are your thoughts on that?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

One would think that such hard evidence would be highly problematic for evolutionary theory. Indeed Dr. Philip Kitcher, in his anti-creationist book Abusing Science, claims that solid evidence that dinosaurs and man co-existed would "shake the foundations of evolutionary theory."

Okay, having followed the most recent link, I have to say that I find this baffling.

Leaving aside the author's claim that ancient art represents "hard evidence" of anything, I fail to understand why anyone would think that vanishingly rare numbers of surviving dinosaur species would "shake the foundations of evolutionary theory."

Would one of the Creationists here explain to me why it would be impossible for evolution to be true and yet have small numbers of dinosaurs alive until, say, the 1600s or so?

I ask this because some of the earliest proponents of the "some dinosaurs were contemporary with man, and may even survive in some isolated part of Africa" story were in fact ardent evolutionists. While that theory has largely been discounted by the preponderance of other evidence against it, there's no reason that modern dinosaurs and evolutionary theory can't co-exist.

[ March 31, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Crotalus
Member # 7339

First of all, Anticool and Noemon, I will get to your questions when i have time to elaborate. I'm at work right now and deadlines are looming. Maybe this weekend I can go into some in-depth responses.

Jay, (and for anyone else)

I'm male, 36, QC Chemist for a pharm manufacting site. I've lurked here for years, but just started posting here a few weeks ago. I've put up a fragment in the writers forum and just jumped in on this side this week. I'm a husband and dad of a 2yr old with another due in May. Oh yeah, and I hail from Georgia, USA.

That's right the BIBLE BELT. Now everyone feel free to put your labels on me.

now back to work...Q'PLA!

Noemon
Member # 1115

So you've lurked here for years, and yet expect us to automatically pidgeonhole you because you're from the South? That's...a bit odd, I think.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.