FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Commentary tracks of the blessed

Author Topic: Commentary tracks of the blessed
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of DVD commentary tracks, but most of them tend to be kinda dull, and usually I skip them. (The few ones I've liked = the commentary for the original Donnie Darko movie, commentaries on Firefly.)

The Onion just ran a bit on good DVD commentary tracks. Anyone have any faves of their own?

http://www.theonionavclub.com/feature/index.php?issue=4112&f=2

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head...there's an episode in the fourth season of Stargate SG-1 that is hilarious. The commentary track for that episode is almost better than the episode itself. I nearly cried, I was laughing so hard.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost never listen to commentaries. I listened to one or two of the Firefly ones, but that's pretty much it. I dunno, for some reason I think they just aren't for me.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

John Hughes is hilarious, and it's been so long that he's not worried about his next job and is honest about the experience.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Goonies one a) because it involves the entire cast, and b) because of the way it's set up--sometimes they shrink the movie and show the cast, which is cool, but also, the movie volume stays loud enough that you can still hear what's going on, unlike most of the commentaries I've experienced.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Fight Club, Donnie Darko, off the top of my head.

I know there are more that i like.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The cast commentary for Ocean's 11 (the new one) with Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, and Andy Garcia is hilarous. And I don't suppose I need to add the LotR cast commentaries... but I will anyway.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro, I'm in the middle of SG-1's fourth season. I mostly skip the commentaries.

Which one are you referring to, so I know not to skip it?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Window of Opportunity. It's the time loop episode.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat. I already watched that one -- I just mailed it back on Monday. (It is a GREAT episode, though!)

Oh, well. Someday I'll be independently wealthy and own the set. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I almost never listen to commentaries. I listened to one or two of the Firefly ones, but that's pretty much it. I dunno, for some reason I think they just aren't for me.
I think it has something to do with your dislike of analysis, twinky [Wink] [Smile] .

I like most commentaries, although I prefer behind the scenes rather than actors, unless the actors are more than usually witty. The firefly ones I've listened to parts of two episodes, but the one I was most enjoying (for 'Serenity') gave a little too much away, so I stopped it.

I love the art direction ones for the Lord of the Rings. They're so very interesting. I also like ones with the writer- learning what they were thinking etc, although those are generally the most painful, because you have to consciously make the "it's real/it's not real" distinction.

I prefer to watch actors ones with friends and the rest alone, mostly because however interested I think my friends are they invariably roll their eyes when I ask them to watch the directorial commentary with them... *sigh*

EDIT: I really enjoy commentaries on movies which I watch for laughs- someone mentioned Ocean's Eleven. That is one of the funniest commentaries [Smile] .

[ March 31, 2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the commentary track for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I remember the commentary for The Station Agent being better than the actual movie.

There were a couple episodes from the fourth season of The Simpsons that were written by Conan O'Brien where they got him to come in and do the commentaries. They were so hilarious I was just about wetting my pants.

I really like how the South Park commentaries are done. The creators note, quite rightly, that most people have a few minutes worth of interesting stuff to say and then pad the rest with nervous laughter and comments like "I really like this scene." So, in order to preclude that, they just do commentaries over the first five minutes or so of each episode and then when they run out of stuff to say they go to the next one. All the commentaries end up being packed with good stuff in bite-sized form.

That's all that I can think of right now.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.