FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What could possibly go wrong? (World's Tallest Building)

Author Topic: What could possibly go wrong? (World's Tallest Building)
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
World's Tallest Building

It's being built in Burj Dubai, in the Middle East. I don't think this is the best thing for them to be building. Any thoughts?

[ March 31, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's probably a hundred things that could go wrong here that don't involve terrorism.

That said, it looks like an interesting place to live [Smile]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope they're careful with the elevators in that thing! Imagine if one broke and the breaks didn't work. It would be like a skydiving freefall.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Just when you think we're (Americans that is) going to reclaim the tallest building in the world! Argh! Oh well, it doesn't really matter. In three years we'll hear that one that's 10 feet higher is being built in Japan, or France, or Equitorial New Guinea.

Speaking of tall buildings, does anyone know where you can go to check up on or see construction photos of the new tower and buildings on the old WTC site? The Freedom Tower, or whatever the stupid name for it is.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
Dubai is so loaded that they could wipe their collective arses with $100 bills. Literally. They're not really in the middle of all the muck.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I like that they're keeping the exact height secret.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*keeps his exact height secret*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speaking of tall buildings, does anyone know where you can go to check up on or see construction photos of the new tower and buildings on the old WTC site? The Freedom Tower, or whatever the stupid name for it is.
Updates

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I thought when I saw this was "Tower of Babel"
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thanks Farmgirl! [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know fugu's exact height! [Taunt]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
But his velocity is a mystery to you.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I hadn't seen pictures of the new WTC tower before. It's beautiful. Like a ghost.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Freedom Tower, Ryuko. FREEDOM TOWER.

Get it right.

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw. I was going to make a Babel joke. But I was beat to it.

It was a funny joke. You'd've snorted milk up your nose.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
1776 feet

That's an easy number to remember.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But his velocity is a mystery to you.
*snort*

I like you, Hobbes.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The two Triple Five malls will no longer be able to argue over which is the largest.

Dubai's population consists of 80% expatriates.

I wanna go there. I might yet. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.