FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Should I post my resume on the web?

Author Topic: Should I post my resume on the web?
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never posted my resume on the web before.

I am currently job-hunting, but I will almost certainly find something without posting on the internet.

The only reason I am even considering it is that a nursing periodical I subscribe to is having a contest to give away some iPod minis. [Big Grin]
All I have to do to enter is use their resume builder on the web.

So, what do you think? Has anyone here ever posted their resume on the web? What are the advantages and disadvantages? And is it worth it just to get the (probably remote) chance of winning an iPod mini?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do post your resume online, follow the usual precautions - do not post personal information that you wouldn't be comfortable with other people knowing.

I'd recommend setting up a "resume lead" email that you check periodically to avoid getting meaningless spam in your primary email box.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I got about one email a week about a job offer when I posted my resume everywhere (Careerbuilder, Monster, others), but they weren't what I wanted at all. I think they use a very broad search criteria. Most offers were to do tech support, when my resume was for a programmer.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathon and I have gotten some good contacts from companies that found our resumes online. So I'd say go for it.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem I heard about was when a co-worker posted his resume on the web. The company didn't know he was looking for a job elsewhere, but found out when his resume came up as they were searching internet resumes for job candidates. It wasn't tragic, but he was pretty embarrassed.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Monster.com (for example) has the option of making your resume non-searchable by your current employer.

This, however, will not stop a headhunter or contractor that may not be directly connected to your current company but rather be on an extended payroll from locating your resume and sending up red flags.

I've known at least one company that was bad about this.

The other problem is staffing services will collect resumes and add them to their databases so if something comes up, they will then try to contact you.

I had one agency call me from a resume posting over a year ago that I had taken down and deleted in the interim.

-Trevor

Edit: Typo

[ March 31, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I need to keep these things in mind.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The other big advantage to a "work resume" email is the amount of spam you risk getting from spider bots and spammers that routinely harvest from job sites.

-Trevor

Ela
Member # 1365

Yeah, I considered that possibility, Trevor. I have a special email I use for stuff like this, so they can spam away. I give this email away at conferences, job fairs, and the like, knowing it will get me on lists.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, do the headhunters do that deliberately, so you will get fired and require their services? [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The punchline? They called me on my third day at a new job.

I wasn't amused. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Ela
Member # 1365

Yeah, that would be a bit awkward.

I am still debating. Why put all that info on the web? Who has the right to look at it?

cheskamint13
Member # 13218

- posted      Profile for cheskamint13   Email cheskamint13         Edit/Delete Post 
(Post Removed by JanitorBlade. We're not hiring spam.)

[ November 12, 2014, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Spam reported.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
It was amusing to read my own post and not notice it was me who wrote it 9 years ago until I glanced at the username.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I was startled to see that twinky was looking for a new job. That's what made me check the date.

Also calling him that just now felt really weird.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. The funny thing is that the company that hired both me and Brinestone nine and a half years ago turned out to be a total bust, at least for me. I lasted all of three weeks there.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that posting your resume online on sites such as LinkedIn, Dice, or others can speed up the application process when you apply at a company that uses systems such as ISMS, Taleo, or MyStaffingPro. You see a job posting for a company, when you click on it, it takes you directly to the company's recruitment page. You can then simply import your resume and static information directly into their system without having to attach or type anything.

It speeds up the process for you, allowing you to apply at more places in a shorter amount of time, as well as speeds up the process for the company.

If you want more information about how those recruitment systems work I would be willing to go more in depth. Knowing how they work could help you understand how companies source candidates.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I doubt Ela's still looking for advice on this, since the opening post is from almost ten years ago. Perhaps other people are, though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.