FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'll be on PBS NewsHour with Jim Lehrer tonight (Probably mayfly thread) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'll be on PBS NewsHour with Jim Lehrer tonight (Probably mayfly thread)
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
(I'll post on Terri Schiavo and the exhausting weeks behind me sometime soon, but here's a notice for anyone who is interested...)

Tonight, March 31st, I will be one of four guests on the PBS
NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. The segment will be a long one -
approx. 16 minutes. I'll be on with Richard Neuhaus,
Barbara Coombs-Lee and Alan Wolf.

Obviously, the subject will be Terri Schiavo, who died today.

The show is live and airs at 6:00 pm ET.

Car picks me up in 30 minutes.

[ March 31, 2005, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodluck. I'll be watching.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Neuhaus from First Things? I've wanted to meet him since I was undergrad.

Break a leg tonight!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I would have watched this anyway.

Break a leg!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Is that filmed live?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'll be watching.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*makes note to watch*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. It's apparently not on live here, but at 6 o'clock. [Dont Know]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. [Smile] I'll see if I can find a TV I can tune to PBS.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
When you get back, can I have your autograph?
Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is great, Steve! [Smile]

I love that show, and I'll watch tonight for sure.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll get to see that at 11:30 i think.
Congrats!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! I'm watching.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*nudges neihbor and whispers* Don't tell anyone, but I don't really get what a mayfly thread is. Do you? Shhh!! Don't TELL anyone! They'll all think I'm oblivious!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching now. [Smile]

A Mayfly thread is a thread that is subject to deletion by the original poster at some later date.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Stephen is on right now, for the east coast.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That twinky. He's a great guy. [Smile]

How did I miss that? That must have been when I was sleeping...or something.

Good luck sndrake!!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Is now watching....
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Grumble] Danged people who get it live, when I have to wait another 40 minutes... [Grumble]
twinky
Member # 693

"...which you will remember from the Biblical parable..."

That's some pretty condescending phrasing there, Mr. Priest Man. So far sndrake has only had a paragraph or so, but he's due for another turn momentarily.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

My favorite line so far was "if she could wake up and see that she had very little chance of waking up, what would she want"

There seems to be an internal inconsistency in this hypothetical. [Wink]

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Heh heh heh heh.

Well, it's over now. Unfortunately I missed sndrake's last sentence because I had to take a leak something fierce. [Frown]

[ March 31, 2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

Well I guess they are done now. Good job, sndrake! Your points were clear and concise. Thanks for the heads up that you would be on.

--ApostleRadio

Miro
Member # 1178

Hmm. That's odd. I'm in Michigan, yet it doesn't seem to be on until 7:00 here.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it too! [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
That's some pretty condescending phrasing there, Mr. Priest Man.
Why is that condescending?

I only saw Stephen's last comments - I really liked the way it started, but I can't remember what it was now [Grumble] . I also liked what he hinted at about how untrustworthy such a decision made before one experiences the disability is.

Prof. Wolf was a jackass. I tried to think of a nicer way to phrase that, but someone who starts with "this isn't a political issue" and spends the rest of his time bashing the politicians.

The "autonomy" v. "beneficence" argument is good, but she either doesn't really mean it when she says autonomy always trumps or she's grossly simplifying the issue. She also fails to realize that removing the tube is also a potential infringement on personal autonomy. I do think this is the central ethical issue, but even taking into account the context of the time limitations of the show it was not dealt with in any real fashion.

Dagonee
P.S., Please don't mayfly this. [Smile]

[ March 31, 2005, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I don't now how it went - I came away from it not feeling very good about it. I was "fueled" on one-half peanut butter sandwich (the only food so far today) and almost 5 hours of sleep. I was up against a bunch of much more well-rested and (probably) less-hungry people.

I'll log in later tonight. Gotta eat a little and drive home in a bit. I'll return tonight.

Neuhaus was good, but very long-winded. Obviously a guy whose used to feeling entitled to the podium.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on in half an hour here...you're going to make me break my no TV at dinner rule.

[ March 31, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: dread pirate romany ]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I liked when Stephen said he "rolled his eyes when conservatives" uhh, talk about or mention "activist judges". Ditto. [Roll Eyes] [Grumble] [Smile]

You came across better in your second segment, Stephen. I thought you did OK--you presented your side well.

You made a good point that most not involved in these issues were thinking of stuff in terms of years ago and hadn't realized feeding tubes were considered medical intervention, and could be withdrawn. I consider myself well-read on current affairs, yet I didn't know this until the Schiavo case.

[ March 31, 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Morbo
Member # 5309

BTW, it's the first segment after the news summary--like Stephen said about 15-16 min. long.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think you did well, as much as you were allowed. I wish they'd cut the priest guy off sooner and let you talk more, you did it much better. I think everyone on that show probably has some annoying habit or another, but his was pounding with his fists like he was on a pulpit. It was seconded only by that lady's incessant blinking. Now I'm reminded why I don't like to watch poor debaters.

Not that you were a poor debater, Steve. I also liked the fact that you were respectful and followed the moderator's lead, unlike a few people I could mention. Good job.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagnabbit! Is this ever played again at a different time?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Morbo.

Liz, you can get the audio at the PBS website. Scroll toward the bottom and click on "Online Newshour Reports."

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

quote:
I wish they'd cut the priest guy off sooner and let you talk more, you did it much better.
Anne, I agree...that priest did ramble on a bit. Usually the moderator cuts people off who do that.
Miro
Member # 1178

I saw all but the intro. I'm not too impressed with the format. It doesn't really seem to give anyone enough time to talk, much less actually respond to what the others say. Actually, I couldn't help thinking that it was a lot like a thread on Hatrack, except without links and without any real give and take.

Other than that, I think there were some good issues raised. I agree with Dag about the professor, though. He was absolutely ridiculous. [Roll Eyes]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Neuhaus was good, but very long-winded. Obviously a guy whose used to feeling entitled to the podium.
I heard a story from someone who was at his ordination that the Bishop gave a really long blessing or speech while Neuhaus was prostrate during the ceremony. There were rumors that it was an intentional commentary on the length of his homilies.

Dagonee

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't get it for another hour?!

That sucks.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Thanks for the kind words and feedback - I guess I can believe I didn't disgrace myself entirely.

I've been doing media almost continually all day. Talking to reporters and also on live talk shows. I had 10 minutes on Laura Ingraham's show, which went surprisingly well.

I really blasted the media on her show, commenting that Fox, the NY Times, NPR, the major networks - everyone, in fact, seemed to be working the story from a script. The script viewed the situation with Terri Schiavo as an extension of the abortion debate and the "culture wars." There was no room in that script for lefty disability groups taking the position we did. There was also no room in the script to quote Tom Harkin when he held a press conference on March 19 with Frist and other in support of the bill that was passed.

The politics really break down on close inspection - there are conservatives out there who have been talking in ways that would lead people to believe they'd be perfectly happy to see more people like Schiavo die earlier if it could keep their taxes low. And there are equally base writers on the left.

Ingraham - and at least some of her audience, judging from the emails - liked it. Who knew?

Anyway, I have to log off - WGN *might* want me in the studio tomorrow morning. They'll be calling at 3:00 am to let me know if they want me there at 5:30 am. [Eek!]

This is not an exciting prospect. I am exhausted. But we're in no position to turn down the media when they ask, since it hasn't happened very much.

I'm still fantasizing about that two-day nap. [Wink]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I missed out on the broadcast as I'm just getting onto Hatrack now, but I wanted to let you know that today I saw the Chicago Reader article you were interviewed for. They were handing out copies of the issue on street corners all over the Loop instead of just having stacks in the bookstores and coffee shops like normal.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh!!!

*catches last few minutes*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally missed this, but I'll check out the audio. It's also possible to order the video. :sigh:
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Stephen, the part that I heard you did quite well. Although it was obvious to me (I do have the advantage of having met you in person) that you were really tired.

Even so, I really liked what you had to say, and how you said it. [Hat]

It amuses me how much like what someone else I know has to say about the issue -- even though you and he are coming at it from completely different angles. (I was just telling Rabbi A yesterday that he should check out NDY's website.)

Hope you get some rest soon!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I also noticed Steve looked tired, and I have never met him.

You need some sleep, dude.

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
The link to the real audio of todays segment is broken, but if other reports are any indication, there should be streaming video later in the week.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Works fine for me, mt.
Morbo
Member # 5309

It was weird to see "Stephen Drake" on one caption under your image, then to see "Not Dead Yet" under that--like you were about to keel over on camera. Later PBS changed it to "Disablity Activist".
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Going to watch it now.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

It is funny to me that they changed it, Morbo.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

That was extremely interesting.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble]

Apparently although the show starts on the hour everywhere else in the country, it starts on the half hour here. When it didn't start at 6, I finished making dinner and turned the set back on at a little after 7 and missed Stephen. I really wasn't interested in Paul Wolfowitz (or what ever his name is... David? Mike? Mark?)

To phooey with this. [Grumble]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.