FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pope given last rites

Author Topic: Pope given last rites
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Pope John Paul II has been given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church as his health deteriorates, a Vatican source tells CNN

breaking news on CNN

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
A great man passes.
Fear and hope mix with sadness.
Today's world changes.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I was worried about him when I heard he didn't make a public appearance on Good Friday. [Frown]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cardinals will begin the selection process right?

I doubt it will take that long.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a lot of death in my life, please forgive me if I sound a bit callous.

I rejoice in a life well lived and a man rejoining his creator. Death is a transition not an end.

To me the death of the Pope is one of the signs of good and hope in the world. A race well run. Bravo.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a bunch of Cardinals sit down and elect somebody in the Vatican (the college of Cardinals). They burn some incense. The journalists sit outside and watch the smoke. It's black. When they've picked somebody, they change the stuff they're burning to white smoke so we all know they're done. The end.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Anyone who has seen Eurotrip knows that
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN added this to their web story 20 minutes later:
quote:
The sacrament does not necessarily mean that the pope is dying. Last rites -- also known as the sacrament of anointing the sick -- are commonly given to people who are seriously ill as well. The pope received the sacrament after he was shot by a would-be assassin in 1981.
So he could be around for a little while. Given John Paul's many illnesses and that he lost 19 kilos in 5 weeks after his tracheotomy, the end is near, though. [Frown]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Pope was also given the last rites - the Roman Catholic sacrament reserved for the sick and dying, unconfirmed reports say.
BBC calls the reports "uncomfirmed", although I don't dispute that it's extremely likely that they have been given.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand he has been quite sick for a while...I hope that if his end is near, his passing is peaceful.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
While it is sad that such a great man is passing, he seems to have led a wonderful, full life, and his death should be acknowledged not only with sorrow but also with joy, knowing that he is in a better place. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The sacrament does not necessarily mean that the pope is dying. Last rites -- also known as the sacrament of anointing the sick -- are commonly given to people who are seriously ill as well.
Yeah, calling it last rites is misleading. And freaks out the people who are being annointed.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why Catholics now call it anointing of the sick (at least in America).
Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I was taught that annointing of the sick and last rites were two different things [Dont Know]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Last Rites and Annoiting of the Sick are virtually the same thing. Both are the same sacrament.
Kama
Member # 3022

yup, they are two differnt names of the same sacrament.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be a Jew, but I know how great this man is.

I myself cannot think of a person living today that would'v made a better person than John Paul. During the War, there was a Jewish girl who was hid by a local Polish bishop. He was kind to her, and he tried to heal her mentally, as well as strengthening her physically.

The bishop is the dying Pope. He is a great man and a symbol to all religions of what a ladr of a major religion must be: kind, knowledgeable, a pacifist and a person who loves other persons. A Rabbi I tend to follow - Rabbi David Rosen (a great man himself, by the way) - was the Israel representative in the Vatican. He spoke very nicely of the Pope.

I could continue to say how I am impressed, but I know very little of the Pope, and so I'll leave Rome alone.

I weep at his death.

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
According to CNN alert, the pope's condition has worsened and his breathing is shallow.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
He's been pope for a long time. Wasn't the one before him quite short lived?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
John Paul I did not live long after becoming Pope. John Paul II has been pope since 1978.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize it was 33 days. I guess time flows differently when you are a kid.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
CNN says he has died...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw that on the news. [Frown]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

CNN.com says that Italian media is reporting the pope's death, but they haven't confirmed yet.

[ April 01, 2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Did I just read correctly that they change their names after becoming pope?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yes. It's traditional to choose a name (or names).
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this on the CNN website:

quote:
On Thursday night, as his health deteriorated, the pontiff received the Catholic Church's sacrament Anointing of the Sick, formerly known as Last Rites or Extreme Unction -- a ritual of healing, a Vatican source told CNN.

I think they got this wrong. They say "formerly" when the Anointing of the Sick, Last Rites, and Extreme Unction (as far as I remember, it's been a while since I studied this stuff) are all seperate things.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

This suggests they mean the same thing. Although it doesn't say so, the link was arrived at by clicking an entry for "Sick, Annointing of the."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

CNN got it right, Telp, these are the names of one sacrament, not separate things.
Kama
Member # 3022

there are 7 sacraments, right? not 9.

(edit: got the math wrong)

[ April 01, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yep - 7. We learned it as Annointing of the Sick, and were told it replaced Last Rites in CCD.

[ April 01, 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.. thanks
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I just heard on the news, confirmed, that Pope John Paul has passed away. [Frown]

My mother is here with me, and she just happened to ask me a question. I didn't know the answer. So I thought I would ask our Jatraquero Catholics.

What is the Pope to the Catholic people? She first asked me if they believed he is an incarnation of Christ. I said, "I don't think so. I think he is analagous to the president of our church (Mormon)." She said, "But don't they think of him as holy? We don't really think of the president as holy, but a man chosen to preside over the church." I said, "I dunno. Do you want me to ask the people on Hatrack?" She said, "Sure!"

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doctrinally, the pope is regarded as the successor of St. Peter, leader of the apostles after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This is an important factor in the tradition that the pope is believed to have jurisdiction over the entire Christian church in matters of faith, morals and church government. This doctrine is known as papal primacy.
http://atheism.about.com/od/popesandthepapacy/a/what.htm

Here's a good explanation of papal primacy. http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/papal_primacy.htm

quote:
Pope Boniface VIII, in his Bull Unam Sanctum (1302), spelled out the doctrine of the necessity of the Church for salvation and with it the necessity of submission to the Roman Pontiff. Regarding the primacy of authority of Peter and his successors he stated:

But this authority, although it is given to man and is exercised by man, is not human, but rather divine, and has been given by the divine Word to Peter himself and to his successors in him, whom the Lord acknowledged an established rock, when he said to Peter himself: Whatsoever you shall bind etc. [Matt. 16:19]. Therefore, whosoever resists this power so ordained by God, resists the order of God [cf. Rom. 13:2] ... Furthermore, we declare, say, define, and proclaim to every human creature that they by necessity for salvation are entirely subject to the Roman Pontiff.

And a bit more. http://atheism.about.com/od/popesandthepapacy/a/papalprimacy.htm
quote:
This doctrine of papal primacy was further developed at the First Vatican Council which declared in 1870 that “in the disposition of God the Roman church holds the preeminence of ordinary power over all the other churches.” This was also the same council that approved the dogma of papal infallibility, deciding that the “infallibility” of the Christian community extended to the pope himself, at least when speaking on matters of faith.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

The Pope is called the Holy Father, but that does not mean he is "holy" in the sense of being a god. He is holy in a way a man can be: patient, loving, caring, forgiving, honest and good.
Kama
Member # 3022

*wonders why jack was using an atheism page to describe who the pope is*
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
bev, there is also a distinction to be made between official doctrine and laity traditions. (IIRC, Puppy has noted some of this in the LDS custom as well, so it is likely a common thing.) You will find some Catholics who venerate the Pope more than others and some who go beyond veneration. Official doctrine (I believe) is that he is a man who represents and leads the Church, and when needed, will speak (infalliably) as with the voice of God.

However, I know Catholics in my family who cherish items that have been touched by the Pope as if that touch made these sacred objects. So, I think it varies in practice.

[ April 02, 2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks for the info! My mom isn't here at this moment, but when she gets back, I will share this information with her. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
What is the Pope to the Catholic people? She first asked me if they believed he is an incarnation of Christ. I said, "I don't think so.
We absolutely do not think of the Pope as an incarnation of Christ.

quote:
I think he is analagous to the president of our church (Mormon)."
I'm not sure the status of the Mormon President, so I'm not sure how analogous this is.

quote:
She said, "But don't they think of him as holy? We don't really think of the president as holy, but a man chosen to preside over the church." I said, "I dunno. Do you want me to ask the people on Hatrack?" She said, "Sure!"
Kama summed this up pretty well. The office of Pope is believed to be one instituted by Christ to Peter in the Gospels, possessor of the "keys to the kingdom of heaven," so the office can be considered holy in another sense.
Some formalities (the site is very slow today - it's pretty easy to guess why).

quote:
The title pope, once used with far greater latitude (see below, section V), is at present employed solely to denote the Bishop of Rome, who, in virtue of his position as successor of St. Peter, is the chief pastor of the whole Church, the Vicar of Christ upon earth.

Besides the bishopric of the Roman Diocese, certain other dignities are held by the pope as well as the supreme and universal pastorate: he is Archbishop of the Roman Province, Primate of Italy and the adjacent islands, and sole Patriarch of the Western Church.

The rest of the article talks about the extent of his powers within the Church.

The Questions About Catholicism thread has some details on papal infallability.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kama summed this up pretty well. The office of Pope is believed to be one instituted by Christ to Peter in the Gospels, possessor of the "keys to the kingdom of heaven," so the office can be considered holy in another sense
Wait, Peter as in the one who denied Jesus three times at Gethsemane? (coming from someone whose almost total knowledge comes from Andrew Lloyd Webber, Charleton Heston and Kevin Smith)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yep. Same guy.

Here's the portion from Matthew:

quote:
13(O)Now when Jesus came into the district of (P)Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, "Who do people say that (Q)the Son of Man is?"

14And they said, "Some say (R)John the Baptist; and others, (S)Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets."

15He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

16Simon Peter answered, "You are (T)the Christ, (U)the Son of (V)the living God."

17And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, (W)Simon Barjona, because (X)flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

18"I also say to you that you are (Y)Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of (Z)Hades will not overpower it.

19"I will give you (AA)the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and (AB)whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

20(AC)Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was (AD)the Christ.

[ April 03, 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.