FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy National Atheist’s Day! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Happy National Atheist’s Day!
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pix you forgot to put those with a bible verse so they made sense like the original joke, which is what made it ironic.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Skillery--that was a fascinating article.

Male elephants in musth sound like Vulcans in "heat".

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and Jesus made for a terrible character witness - he got nailed on cross.

-Trevor

Edit: eek - the dangers of thread-hopping.

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Today, you've been kind of hard to ignore.
[Frown]

That's it, I'm leaving.

Soon. [Razz] (In about 25 minutes, to be precise. And then you'll have to do without me for the whole weekend. So there!)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw this thread, I thought, what an a**. And then I thought well, no it's kind of funny, you know, Jay supporting atheists on April Fools day... Eh, whatever.

But when I clicked on the thread I realized I was right the first time.

On behalf of all the atheists I know, Jay and all of the Christians, you are an a**.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That's it, I'm leaving.

I didn't mean it that way! Arg.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't trying to parody you, Jay.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Did you not notice the last line, which implied strongly that I was kidding? [Smile]

I've been in a goofy mood all day because I'm excited about this weekend. That, coupled with extreme boredom due to lack of work to do at work (I mean, honestly, they give me a task and expect it to take several hours, then I'm done in several minutes and nobody has anything more for me to do), has resulted in what is probably my highest sustained post rate on any forum ever today.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Tesh is a little high-strung. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I'll keep that in mind for the Hatrack Canada gathering. [Smile]

Teshi, you know I was kidding with the "You've been watching? [Angst] " thing too, right?

Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes I did notice [Razz] .

I am just continuing my knee-jerk tradition of worrying that I have being misunderstood.

(I'm so misunderstood! [Cry] [Wink] )

EDIT: I am not as naive as I claim to be, appear or act.

EDIT: In fact, lets just pretend the last few posts never occured because its really a waste of space. [Blushing]

EDIT:

quote:
I'll keep that in mind for the Hatrack Canada gathering.

*cries* DON'T. I am not high strung. I can take a joke. See? Now I've dug myself a hole of misconception from which I cannot escape!

The reason I am a freak when it comes to joke-conversation is because it so rarely happens to me because everyone assumes I cannot take the joke. Vicious cycle.

ARG.

[ April 01, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I dunno, I found them amusing. I just wanted to make sure that you did, too.
Jay
Member # 5786

I’m so hurt. Not!
God is the one who called atheists fools.
April Fools Day is fools day.
So basically anything you’re calling me you’re basically calling God since the site was just quoting Him.
And that’s not very funny.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Given that god doesn't exist, I certainly find that somewhat amusing.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly do you think athiests will "think about" right after you call them fools, how true The Bible is?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*

Oh I'm proud to be an agnostic!
Cause at least I know I'm free!
And I won't forget that man who died
on that alleged tree.
And I'll gladly stand up, next to you and defend your right to think differently!
Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land!
*dramatic echo* ...love this land...
Hypothetical God/Universe/Life Force/Nothing At All bless the USA!

[ April 01, 2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
God is the one who called atheists fools.
Exactly. God has the credentials and the moral authority to call someone a fool. Did He say we're supposed to go around doing it for him?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Please see my extended post above, if you missed it.
Jay
Member # 5786

2 Timothy 3:16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
ARG.
[Big Grin]

I'm sorry, your last edit there really amused me. I will take you at your word, though, and continue to joke around you when I feel so inclined. [Smile]

[Wave]

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe in atheists.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Thank. You.

*dies*

Jay
Member # 5786

2 Corinthians 11:16 - I say again, let no man think me a fool; if otherwise, yet as a fool receive me, that I may boast myself a little.

Proverbs 18:2 - A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.

Proverbs 26:5 - Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
You also agree that you will not use this forum to try to convert people to your own religious beliefs, or to disparage others for their own religious beliefs.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Is that like that the forum rules? Where are those by the way….
Also, I am glad that we have established that atheism is a religion. Now we should separate it from our public schools.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Jay, you have gone way to far.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Dags, why didn't you quote that at me? Given up? [Wink] Anyway, my mocking-the-other-side thread went on for seven pages. Bet this one dies in three. That will show you.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, I am glad that we have established that atheism is a religion.
Riiiiiight... [Wink]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Is that like that the forum rules? Where are those by the way….
You have to start the registration process to see them. I think I'll suggest to kacard that a link be added for easy reference.

But yes, those are the forum rules, and you agreed to them.

quote:
Also, I am glad that we have established that atheism is a religion. Now we should separate it from our public schools.
Sounds like you might be grouping me in with the atheists there, Jay. Also, I never encountered atheism in public schools. And most people who have fought the evolution fight here with you have at one point or another acknowledged that evolution doesn't disprove the existence of God. So I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

quote:
Hey, Dags, why didn't you quote that at me? Given up? [Wink] Anyway, my mocking-the-other-side thread went on for seven pages. Bet this one dies in three. That will show you.
KoM, I think posting a thread breaking those rules is an order of magnitude different than posting it in the course of a discussion. And you changed your initial post, alleviating the worst of the problem.

It's always better to convince people they should change then to use rules to force them to.

Dagonee
P.S., I forgot to thank Anna, KarlEd, and narrativium. Thanks!

[ April 01, 2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

skillery
Member # 6209

My brother became an atheist when he decided that he didn't need the guilt that came from professing a belief in God while at the same time indulging his favorite vices.

What's easier, tossing out the booze and dirty magazines, giving up gambling and spanking your monkey, or just saying that God doesn't exist?

I'm sure there are some atheists who put some real thought and science behind their reasoning. The rest, and I believe the majority, are just a bunch of lazy addicts (fools).

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I became an atheist when I realized I couldn't justify believing in God with the dirth of evidence of his existance. (that's an argument for another time.)

Point is, losing my faith was a very painful and ugly process. It wasn't so I could continue sinning. There's not a lot I do that's sinful.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, skillery, your kind qualifier that "maybe some of us have thought through it" doesn't really help to ease the nastiness of calling the majority lazy addicts.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I've seen plenty of atheists (and agnostics) who pride themselves on going against the grain, being among the few who put enough thought into it to escape a powerful social norm. They seem to look on believers as being the lazy (fools) accepting the stories they've been told, not willing to be brave and question.

Of course, there are plenty of self-proclaimed "apatheists" who admittedly just don't really care. They don't put thought into it because it's not worth giving their thought too.

It is probably not a good idea to speculate on the motivations of others, whatever your own perspective.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want everyone to know that after reading Jay's initial post I have seen the error of my ways, and I realize that I was wrong all these years for hating God. I accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior. I am reborn.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to get on with serious discussion - Jay, the issue at hand is essentially whether or not the Bible may be taken as a reliable account. And in an attempt to prove this, you are - quoting the Bible. This is like me saying "I'm telling the truth, because I say so, and since I'm telling the truth, you must believe me."

Incidentally, since you have stated that your belief is based on your understanding of creationism, why is it that you shy off every time I post something that quite plainly shows evolution is true? For example, once and for all, what is your response to the identity of ERV insertions in human and ape DNA? Or the fact that our making-Vitamin-C gene is broken in exactly the same way, across several different species of primate?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Religion requires organization. Atheism is a scattered and disparate band of people who all share a strong belief that there is no god. And little else.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Atheism is a scattered and disparate band of people who all share a strong belief that there is no god
I thought we recently established that many self-identified atheists don't have a "string belief that there is no god."

You guys need to get organized and let us know what's going on. [Smile]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Lack of proof does not disprove.

Choosing to believe that God doesn't exist is every bit an act of faith as believing He does exist.

Which forms the basis of a religion.

That said, I kinda like Bev's word - "apathist."

It just slides off the tounge. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
share a strong belief that there is no god
...or perhaps a strong hope that there is no god.
Leonide
Member # 4157

I believe that the sun will rise tomorrow, whether i can see it or not.

I believe that the next time I eat salmon, I still won't like it.

I believe that in order to sing well you shouldn't eat chocolate beforehand.

I should probably apply for my religion certificate, right?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

No, skillery, I would LOVE for there to be a god.

I'd love to have him appear to me right now and tell me all about it and prove to me he exists.

It would clear a lot of things up and allow me to right the "error of my ways."

But he won't do that. Because he doesn't exist. And no ammount of my wishing will make it true.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe that the sun will rise tomorrow, whether i can see it or not.

That's good. If we all stopped believing it, it would fall down.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure there are some atheists who put some real thought and science behind their reasoning. The rest, and I believe the majority, are just a bunch of lazy addicts (fools).
And this distinguishes athiesm from Christianity, how?

You know, it's not all that productive to just out and out disparage an entire group of people, but when the group you belong to is as bad or worse, it doesn't even make sense.

There's plenty to be learned from the conflicting worldviews of atheists and theists, but calling the other group bad as the entirety of your argument is just immature and dumb.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

My Kama has come back to haunt me! [Eek!]

[Big Grin]

-Trevor

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh. I know I shouldn't nitpick, but...
quote:
Of course, there are plenty of self-proclaimed "apatheists" who admittedly just don't really care. They don't put thought into it because it's not worth giving their thought too.

Or they've put a great deal of thought into it, and decided they don't have enough reason to make a decision. [Wave]

I've recently reread a quote from OSC's Xenocide which describes my religious status perfectly. It's where Han Fei-tzu is talking about the Life of Human.
quote:
"I can't be sure, no. Nature has done many strange things, and there is a chance that the Life of Human is genuine and true. Thus I neither believe it nor disbelieve it. I hold it in abeyance. I wait."
That would be me.

Does anyone else see the irony of Jay quoting a God that atheists do not believe in to tell them that they're fools for not believing in Him? I'm reminded of the classic definition of Heck, which is where people go if the only reason they believed in hell is because they were afraid they'd go there if they didn't.

[ April 01, 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I forgot, I also believe in K.A.M.A.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or they've put a great deal of thought into it, and decided they don't have enough reason to make a decision.
I would submit, then, that the word "apatheist"--which sounds like "apathy" and therefore seems to connote not caring--is probably not the best word to describe such people, and maybe they should just call themselves "agnostic."
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yup. "Apatheists" is indeed a play on the word "apathy" which means to not care.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lack of proof does not disprove.
No it doesn't. But thats only becuase it is impossible to truely disprove the existance of anything.

There isn't any proof that big foot doesn't exist.

There isn't any proof that the lockness monster doesn't exist.

There isn't any proof in that there aren't still dinosaurs living in the jungles of Africa.

Or that aliens haven't visited Earth in secret.

At the same time, there is little substantial evidense that any of those do exist. And there is even more evidense for some of these things than for the existance of a god.

Therefore, that argument holds no water. Until you have evidense that something exists, it is a safe assumption that it does not.

However, that doesn't mean that should evidense present itself, it should not be examined. And if it ever does, I'll be sure to keep an open mind.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
More accurate in my case would be "unconcerned," but apatheist sounds better. Or at least funnier.

Because I've called myself an agnostic for many years now, and the usual reaction from believers and nonbelievers alike is that I'm wishy-washy, unable to commit, or intellectually lax. I know the work and the sacrifice I've made to get to where I am, listening to people call me wishy-washy gets boring so I've decided to relax and pick the more whimsical label.

[ April 01, 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.