FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The first 208--Come out, come out, wherever you are

Author Topic: The first 208--Come out, come out, wherever you are
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed that Orson Scott Card's member number is 209.

Considering this is his board, I am a little confused who the first 208 members are.

All-EE All-EE IN-COME-FREE!!!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't yell "Ollie ollie oxen free?"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
Hum...You know, you can just go seach for the fisr 208 members.

However, if you do that you will discover that the first 3 are not on the board anymore.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I think you spelled "ollie" better then me, BUT I always shouted "in-come-free" to let other players know they are free to come in and not get out or tagged.

Is it "oxen?"

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
We always said "oxen". We never knew why, but we said it anyway.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
So close.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

Wait, I'm 206? I Could have sworn I was #211. Huh.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Why do people say oxen?
hmmm...

So Jake, how did you get to beat Orson to the board? Are you related?

[ April 03, 2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Those ancient sayings - especially children's sayings - are always hard to trace, and usually the explanations are 'JUST-SO' stories invented long after the fact.

It might be that "in come free" is the older version, and it degenerated to "oxen free" just because kids don't always hear what's being said.

But it's just as possible that the cry "olly olly oxen free" originated as a warning through a rural neighborhood that oxen had gotten loose, and everybody would gather to hunt them down and bring them back. Loose sheep are a problem, but loose oxen are potentially dangerous; also, oxen were more likely to be owned by a village as a whole or at least relied on by the whole village to help with the tillage of their fields.

So when children played hide and seek, they might have used an existing "gathering cry" to signal that the game was over and everybody should come in.

Or not. Who knows?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
#187 reporting as ordered. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...
But wouldnt it then drive everybody crazy when the kids played hide and seek? All the villagers rushing out to the call of "ollie ollie oxen free", searching desperatly for thier oxen, only to learn it was little Tommy and Jojo playing again. I dont know. Sounds annoying to me.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you look up member numbers?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"All the, All the OUTS in Free."
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out! It's the crazy cow!

(obscure Korean film reference)

On second thought, that shouldn't be obscure. It's a great flick - go rent yourself The Way Home.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, yours is the coolest explanation I've seen. Way better than mine. [The Wave]

Got any source on that, or are you just better than I am at coming up with just-so etymologies!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Random House word of the day has an interesting article on the origins of the phrase

quote:
The phrase is used in a variety of children's chasing games, especially hide-and-(go-)seek...

The original form of the phrase was something like all in free or all's out come in free, both standing for something like all who are out can come in free. These phrases got modified to all-ee all-ee (all) in free or all-ee all-ee out(s) in free; the -ee is added, and the all is repeated, for audibility and rhythm.

From here the number of variants takes off, and we start seeing folk etymologies in various forms. The most common of these has oxen replacing out(s) in, giving all-ee all-ee oxen free; with the all-ee reinterpreted as the name Ollie, we arrive at your phrase, which, according to the Dictionary of American Regional English, is especially common in California. Norwegian settlement areas have Ole Ole Olsen's free. For the out(s) in phrase, we also see ocean, oxford, ax in, awk in, and even oops all in.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
But then you can't say something cool like,

"The oxen of the village
would help with all the tillage."

Kinda poemy.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

Nope, not related. Neither are many of the other people with low member numbers, actually. If dmichael had been just a tiny bit less asinine, OSC would have joined the forum long before I did. As it was, though, I had to sign up to rebut some ridiculous and offensive thing that he'd said, and didn't waste any time doing so.

Of course, then I chickened out and didn't respond, as I recall, but still--it got me to register.

I'm better known here by my later handle, Noemon, by the way.

IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
You can seach member numbers by going to the search page and entering a member number in the Seach by Registered Member Number box.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, IrishAphrodite! I haven't seen you here in ages! Glad to see you back.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Ole Ole Olsen's free
I roginally thought this said Orson's free and thought. "How cool is that?!"
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured it had its roots in French somehow. Like Allez allez aux en something.

Know where I got that idea from? OSC's story "The Originist" where he talks about the origins of nursery rhymes.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

Noemon, I am a constant lurker. I just don't often have much to say. It makes me feel special that you noticed my "return" though. Thanks! [Big Grin] [Kiss]

~Irish

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
But there's no list of member names and numbers?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this link....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
afr, I was thinking of the "Ring around the rosy/Wrinkly Grandma Posey" bit from "The Originist," as well. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That's still one of my top five favorite stories. I like to refer to it. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Reason: The first two-hundred or so people were imported from an earlier version of the board. Their numbers were allotted alphabetically. Other people joined later. The ones who were imported have no join date, just: A Long Time Ago!

End.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palimpsest
Member # 6897

- posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest         Edit/Delete Post 
What if we've forgotten the passwords to our old name and no longer have the email address it was registered to? Not that I have a account that old, but my obsession with piddling minutia at least allows us to assume that these people didn't leave the forum.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.