FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » anyone make smoothies?

Author Topic: anyone make smoothies?
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems all the smoothie recipes I see online call for yogurt. However, I know smoothie places also make them with some sort of juice.

Has anyone had luck with fruit juice smoothies? What did you use?

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
I made one out of lemonade, apples and cinnamon once....I liked it but there was a lot of gagging when other people tried it. Is this a bad sign? [Blushing]
Edit: Can't spell

[ April 03, 2005, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: chel ]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
raspberry sherbet
cran-raspberry juice
one banana
frozen raspberries
frozen strawberries
ice
(I think that's everything.)
Blend.
Excellent!
(Courtesy of a local Juice Shop - we had one of theirs and came up with this trying to re-make it at home...)

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Frozen raspberries, pears and ice. Blend.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Frozen raspberries, orange juice, a little cream, and ice. You could even forget the cream.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonide and I get smoothies all the time from this one place that makes them with frozen fruit and apple cider. And they taste amazing.

We've wanted to try to make them on our own for a while but have never gotten the motivation to do so.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I make smoothies! A big bag of frozen strawberries from Costco or Sam's Club is very helpful. If you use frozen berries, you don't need to add ice, and your fruit isn't "watered down". But I do like to use a juice to add some liquid--otherwise it won't mix well. Just about any kind of juice is great.

Some of my favorite ingredients (in approximate order of like): banana, mango, peach, pinapple, grapes, orange, apple, pear, and just about any other fruit you can think of.

I find it is plenty sweet just like that. But if you find it too tart, you can add sugar or a non-sugar sweetner.

Experiment. It will come out different each time, but you might find a formula you really like.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs ANYTHING but fruit? The yogurt or ice cream or sherbet are usually added for thickness and consistency. But that is provided far better by banana and papaya.

Our basic smoothie (or vitamina, as I persist in calling it) is:

about half a Mexican or Cuban papaya, or three California ones <grin>. You scrape out the seeds, silly.

about three bananas

pineapple if you feel like it

raspberries if you don't mind it being red with a bunch of tiny seeds in it

strawberries if you don't mind it red and you aren't married to a person who is allergic to them.

apples for a little tang

A bit of lime or lemon juice if you like it tart

canned or bottled mango if you're adventurous

orange juice, not from concentrate

a couple or three ice cubes

In a blender, you put in chunks of papaya and whatever other fruit you have, but NOT the bananas yet, because there won't be room.

Pour in orange juice until it's about a fourth of the way up the side of the blender. Do this AFTER the other fruit is in, or you'll have way too much.

Blend it. Liquefy it. And KEEP liquefying until there isn't a single lump left in it. It's a smoothie, for pete's sake, not a lumpie!

Then add the bananas and a couple of ice cubes. Now there's room. Blend it again. No, keep going. MORE. Not a lump? OK.

Now taste it. If you want it tarter, add the citrus juice. If you want it sweeter, add another half or whole banana. But chances are, no matter what fruits you added beyond banana and papaya, it'll be brilliantly smooth and thick.

If you want it colder, add more ice, but always make sure you completely blend it in.

Be warned, though: Drink it all, because it turns brown in the fridge really fast.

You can do this with milk instead of orange juice, and some people add avocado for smoothness (in Brazil, avocado is considered a sweet fruit, not a vegetable to be salted). But that makes it booger green and hard for me to look at, let alone drink.

[ April 03, 2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite: Apple juice, frozen strawberries and a frozen banana
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a fan of smoothies. The only ones I end up making are for ketchup princess.

I occasionally make an Orange Julius.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I like making smoothies with frozen strawberries, crushed pineapple and orange juice. Another really delicious combination is frozen strawberries and chocolate milk. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, but if you start making smoothies, please note: do not try to live solely on them.

Ask Olivetta why. [Razz]

[ April 03, 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend's mom makes awesome ones for hangovers... or just breakfast in general... or for after near-death experiences... whichever

1 banana
Frozen strawberries
Frozen blueberries
Frozen raspberries

Blend 'till smooth. Nurse until you feel better.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.