FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Techie Help Please

Author Topic: Techie Help Please
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I continue to get the same 13 e-mails over and over agian . . .

*nightmare on elm street music plays inthe background*

And how do I make it stop?

[Frown]

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried:
Scanning for viruses?
Blocking the senders?
Sledgehammer? [Big Grin]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Yes, yes, and no.

It keeps happening even if I disable virus scan and spam killer. At first I thought maybe the new download did something bad. Nope. Virus scan shows no problem - even the on-line with McAfee (and mine disabled while scanning) . . .

*sigh*

Help! I'm caught in a time-warp and I can't get out.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...you could just get a new email address but that's a whole lot of work...sorry, I haven't heard of the time-warp thing happening before...that's a puzzler [Confused]
Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Question...Are you using Outlook express (or a similar program)? If so, when you press the send/receive button twice within a one minute period, do the same emails get downloaded into your in box? If this is the case, the problem is with your mail provider. They aren't clearing the emails off the server once they are downloaded. (Please note: It is illegal in some places for someone to send you a large number of emails within a very short period. Most marketing companies won't send 13 emails within one minute of a previous 13 being read. Basically, what this means is that if you are getting those same emails within one minute of opening your inbox/pressing send/receive, the problem is with the mail server.)

Are the thirteen emails different from one another? And do they come in the same order every time? If you have a web-based email system, it is likely that things are screwed up on their end.

If neither of these are actually the problem, you should try to contact whoever is sending them and yell at them profusely. Or try opting out of whatever the email is for (Unless it's random spam. If it comes from a reputable source, opting out is fine. They'll stop sending stuff to you. If it's just some marketing group, opting out just proves you exist and more stuff will come).

[ April 03, 2005, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Hi Boris - I'm using OE. And it only happens after I log on the very first time. (Each time.) It's the same batch of e-mails from a variety of peronal and professional contacts that had already been approved by me via my spamkiller program.

If I am understanding you, I should contact someone at OE to report this, since it is likely happening at their end with not "cleaning out" the e-mails?

Boris
Member # 6935

No, I'm suggesting you contact the people who provide your email service, the ones who run the actual mail servers and let them know of the problem. Example (Just for clarity), for a person with an email address of, say, bob@hotmail.com, the email provider is hotmail. For bob@yahoo.com, the provider is Yahoo. Outlook express connects to the mail servers run by the provider to find and download all emails onto your hard-drive. Typically, they are all deleted from the server once the server receives a signal from OE that they have been downloaded successfully. If the server either doesn't receive this signal or there is an error on the server that prevents it from deleting the emails, the emails will be downloaded automatically once you log on again.

Basically, the problem can be with OE, but the proper course of action would be to contact your email provider to make sure everything is working on their end. This keeps you from going through multiple hoops on your end that would never work anyway (Assuming it is a problem with the server).

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Ahhh - that would be earthlink, then - thanks for the clarification. I'll try them -
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It is quite possible there is a large email that your program is attempting to download, or can't download, and you are stopping the program before it gets notification that all emails are recieved. Contacting Earthlink (*shudder*) will help solve this problem as they should, as part of sop, look at your email on the server.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, had a lovely "chat" with their rep - who sent me about an eternity's worth of instructions on reconfiguring my profile. Which means backing up my e-mail and address book first. *sigh* Something about getting corrupted e-mail. Despite virus protection and spam killer.

*growls*

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Say what?

Just for fun, try logging onto whatever webmail Earthlink has and see if you can just delete off the server the email you've already recieved and the one (I'm guessing) that you can't download before you jump through a bunch of hoops that probably aren't related to your problem.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Thank you, Stormy. I'll go give that a try. [Kiss]
Shan
Member # 4550

It grieves me to report, Stormy, that that did not do the trick. It appears I'll need to fortify myself with Pecan Sandies tomorrow evening before plunging into the depths of techno-idiocy.

*shudders*

(That would be my idiocy.)

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That's too bad. 99 times out of 100, deleting the offending email off of the server works. Sorry to hear that it didn't in your case. [Kiss]
Shan
Member # 4550

Hey Stormy! I logged on this evening, checked e-mail and the problem has mysteriously disappeared . . .

*eerie Twilight theme music in the background*

Now, is that bizarre or what? An unexpected and welcome blessing - but vellly, vellly stwange . . .

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I am happy to hear that your problem resolved itself. [Smile]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad it worked out Shan. I'm so paranoid with email viruses that I have basically confined myself to webmail for now. [Frown]

I hope you got the last email reply I sent you. It had style, it had zing, but it didn't have a virus *I hope*. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Well, had a lovely "chat" with their rep - who sent me about an eternity's worth of instructions on reconfiguring my profile. Which means backing up my e-mail and address book first. *sigh* Something about getting corrupted e-mail. Despite virus protection and spam killer.

Just so you know, this is basically tehnician speak for "This is probably our fault, but I'm going to put you through all these hoops while we fix whatever the problem is so you'll know you have to rely on us genius technicians in the future."

I know this because most techs would rather make people feel like idiots by putting them through the ringer rather than admit that either they caused the problem or that they don't know what the problem is. I used to do this myself, then realized it's better business to tell people "This has me baffled, and that doesn't happen very often. Give me a little while to research and understand the problem and I will eventually be able to fix it, though it will take time, and may require drastic measures. Please be patient with me."

Shan
Member # 4550

Ahhhh - that explains why I could NOT get a direct answer any one of the three times I specifically said, "What exactly is the problem, and what is causing this to happen."

I haven't answered their questionnaire yet - may I cut and paste your comments, Boris - anonymously, of course. [Big Grin]

Beren, sweetie - just tell me what you want done with the socks . . . But! If you manage to misplace all of your socks before I wash, fold, and put them away, just like the lad, you will suffer the consequences - just like the lad! [No No]

(And who'm I kidding, anyway *grumble, grumble* now that he has a complete new set of socks, one for each day of the week, safe and snug in the drawer . . . )

Shan
Member # 4550

Damn! They're back . . . plus a few more . . . [Wall Bash]
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know this because most techs would rather make people feel like idiots by putting them through the ringer rather than admit that either they caused the problem or that they don't know what the problem is.
Which is why the usual tech support answer is "you will have to format your hard drive"

Sure, it will solve the problem...but it is not the most convenient solution.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Okay, I'm really ticked now. After an hour on the phone with a rep, who also couldn't diagnose and/or fix the problem, I went ahead and changed the profile settings, following the directions step by step. SAME FRICKING PROBLEM.

*pause for glass of wine*

I run yet another virus scan - NOTHING.

*pause to beat head against wall*

I'm going back to the old days of tablets, pens, envelopes, files, stamps, and telephones . . .

[Mad]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That problem is still the same? You are getting the same email over and over?
Boris
Member # 6935

Wow...that's a weird problem, then (Granted, the stuff the techie told you do do probably wouldn't have changed anything if it was the problem, but...)

There may be an issue with your account with them. But just to be safe, try deleting the emails in the webmail system and then restart your computer and check your mail again through the webmail system after the reboot. If they come back again, then you'll KNOW it's a problem with their servers, since Webmail is independant of anything on your computer. If they don't come back even after a few reboots, then there is probably an issue with your computer, which may or may not be resolved by switching to a completely different mail client.

Shan
Member # 4550

Already did the webmail delete earlier, per Saxy's instructions.

I uninstalled McAfee, cleaned out cookies, and then reinstalled my virus scan and spam killer. I am right now running virus scan for the third time, just to see . . .

Of course, after following their frigging "change the profile" steps, now I can't SEND e-mail . . . grrrrrrrrrr . . . . so I'll give that a try again . . . no, wait! I'll try their so-called TotalEarthlink.access program, that supposedly sets e-mail up. Of course I'll turn off SK and VS first . . .

*wonders if it's time to get the girl scout cookies out of the freezer*

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Can you reinstall OE (or switch to Outlook) and ask Earthlink to set you up with a different email account. I know you have a great email name, but it looks like nothing else is working.

How about: Luthien_two_hand (at) earthlink.com [Big Grin]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien Two Hands
Member # 7755

- posted      Profile for Luthien Two Hands           Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]

What a fine idea.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Hmpph.

I think it's fixed . . . *crosses fingers hopefully*

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

[Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, you're not the only one who's ever had that problem. It's happened to two people I know here. But this is Sri Lanka, and I assumed it was the usual stellar *cough* service we get here.

It just stopped one day. No idea why. No solutions to fix it. Nothing we tried ever worked. Did the whole webmail route to make sure it wasn't on the mail server - it wasn't. And yet it still managed to show up another 25 or more times.

You have my sympathies.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Well, I wrote a really nasty letter on their web-based survey "How Did We Do?" last night . . . the problem was still there this morning. I just logged off, powered down, and came back on-line and nothing bad happened this evening. . . *is hopeful*
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Just so you know, you're not the only one who's ever had that problem. It's happened to two people I know here. But this is Sri Lanka, and I assumed it was the usual stellar *cough* service we get here.
Isn't that where all the major computer manufacturers in the states send their phone tech support now? I'm glad they did that. People pay me to fix stuff more often now. Even stuff that's covered under their warranty. [Smile]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Awww.

You're more fun than I deserve Shan. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka wants that to happen, believe me. It would mean huge money here. But no, it's mostly in India, where the average GNP per person is about 1/3 of that in Sri Lanka - in other words, even cheaper labour than here.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

You're worth every blessed moment, Beren! [Kiss]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.