FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need to go away more often (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I need to go away more often
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
So, when I got back to my house with Frisco and Kat, Steve starts in on me about how I need to move my dog stuff to the garage. I was like, yeah I do, maybe next weekend when I have time since the garage is a disaster. Anyway somehow I went out and took a look at the garage.

Only to find out he'd already cleaned it!

And, he'd shampooed the carpet.

And...when I came back to post on hatrack I noticed that my tray icons had totally changed. I kept asking him what he'd done with it.

Turns out while I was at the wedding he also went out and bought me a whole new computer! (same monitor and keyboard though)

I really need to go away more often!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
that is definitely a great homecoming.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahah! OH my Lord, that is terrific.

Quick, leave again now while he's still in this mood!

[ April 03, 2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FriscoProofKatAlias
Member # 7691

- posted      Profile for FriscoProofKatAlias   Email FriscoProofKatAlias         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve was so adorable. I got on the computer as soon as we walked in the door, and he pointed to the new tower and whispered to keep it quiet. Since I had noticed nothing, this was not a problem. He was just glowing with the secret though - it was so cute.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is making the rest of us look bad.

Of course, when I got home from New Zealand, we had new carpet in the upstairs bedrooms - which was about time, since we've lived with the bottom-of-the-line carpet the previous owner of the house installed in order to sell the house twelve years ago. But it wasn't a surprise, I already knew it would happen; and my wife was with me, so we can't exactly say it was a gift one of us gave the other.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, I'm very jealous. [Smile]

Last time I came back from somewhere, all that had gotten done in my absence was a load of laundry.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
And then Uncle Orson posts all weekend long, including on your thread.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
While I was at WenchCon, my husband cleaned the entire apt., rented a steam cleaner and did the carpets, couches, and chairs, did all the piled up dishes and laundry, and bleached out the cat box.

When I walked in, not only was it clean, it smelled wonderful-- because he had dinner in the crockpot. My husband who does not cook had gone online, looked up my recipe for one of my favorite crockpot meals, and made it for me so it was waiting when I got home. And while he was at the grocery store, he had gotten me Penguin, which I love, and had it in the car for me in case I'd gotten hungry after I missed my flight.

I also think I need to go away more often. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

*considers trading husband in for newfangled cleaning model*
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FriscoProofKatAlias
Member # 7691

- posted      Profile for FriscoProofKatAlias   Email FriscoProofKatAlias         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and he cooked for us.

Megan, maybe we can just borrow them for a while. They look friendly - won't kick too much when we chloroform them and shove them in the van.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, AJ, tell Steve that I'm going to be out of the house all day tomorrow. He's welcome to come by give me a new computer, and he doesn't even need to worry about cleaning the carpets.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'm in shock actually. I was dreading downloading AIM and installing it. I still haven't adjusted to the faster download times!

Kat apparently knew because she came back to the computer first and Steve told her(kat) not to tell me!

AJ

[ April 03, 2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Kat, I like it. I'll bring the van, you bring the chloroform.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ok let's be realistic here, this effort probably means Steve thinks he's entitled to coast for at least six months...

AJ

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Oh, I'm sure that's not all he feels he's entitled to. (bawdy wink [Wink] )
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] *hides ketchup prince consort in the closet*

*thinks about it*

*joins him in the closet* [Evil]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So now you are BOTH gay? That is weird, but I hope it works out for you booth.... [Evil]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FriscoProofKatAlias
Member # 7691

In all seriousness, one of the weirdest events of my life was when a guy I knew came by our apartment and, with only a little prompting, cleand our bathroom for us.

Sadly, this did not make me love him. I did think it was sweet.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you invite me over for dinner, I'll clean your bathroom and/or kitchen.

*hints*

And we're not in the closet to be gay-- ever play "7 Minutes in Heaven"? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Megan
Member # 5290

KQ, then you're officially invited to dinner. [Big Grin]

Of course, once you get here, you may not be allowed to leave...

[Evil Laugh]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, next time we're in the area, we'll consider ourselves invited. [Big Grin]

I warn you, though, I'm a pain to live with. [Razz]

Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, you won't be when I'm through with you. [Big Grin]

*tries to be scary Megan*

FriscoProofKatAlias
Member # 7691

Oh! Next Sunday then. What do you think? I'll invite Coccinelle too. [Smile] I'll cook.

Added: And no, you don't have to clean. [Razz]

[ April 04, 2005, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: FriscoProofKatAlias ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Next Sunday sounds great. E-mail me with a time and your address. Or call. Whatever. [Smile]

Oh, and church for us is from 11 to 2, and we'd need to give Emma a nap, and then get everything together, and then drive there... Shall we say any time after 5:30 is good for us?

And remind me to bring your monkey. [Big Grin]

[ April 04, 2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, AJ, you're lucky. Whenever I go away, Andrew eats microwave burritos and lets the garbage pile up.

I think I'll go "accidentally" wake him up now.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness. Steve is the man.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Actually, come to think of it, my dad cleaned the house too. And repainted our porch chairs.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We came home to mold that had grown in a forgotten cereal bowl in the sink.

Eeeew.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] mack
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I came home to a clean house . . . but this was hardly a surprise, since the housekeeper comes every Friday.

It's not generally this clean by the time Sunday night rolls around, though. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Best thing I ever did while my wife was away: She and I went to a sci-fi convention, leaving our kids behind to be tended by grandparents, and when we came back and went to our rented house in Sandy, all the furniture was gone from the bedroom.

While we were gone, I arranged for some of my brothers to move all our bedroom furniture to our new house in Orem, the first one we ever bought. (Kristine knew about the house - that would NOT be a pleasant surprise, to find out your husband had bought you a house without your knowledge.)

So after the shock wore off and she was speaking to me again, we drove on down to the new house and spent our first night there together.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

- posted      Profile for Jane_Lane   Email Jane_Lane         Edit/Delete Post 
I love surprises. About five years ago, my parents were planning to go their first holiday without us kids. Upstairs, we had this really horrible carpet that was scratchy and old, and my mum couldn't bear to walk on it without slippers. So my brother and I saved up for about a year, (we were 13 at the time), to get the whole of the 1st floor re-carpetted. When they came back, my mum was so happy she cried! Then she got worried that a couple of 13 year old kids had been allowed to pay a few hundred pounds for a stranger to come to the house to rip up the carpet - She told us never to do it again!
Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*still in shock today* The happiness is helping with the sleep deprivation from having too much fun with jatraqueros.

AJ

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
since we've lived with the bottom-of-the-line carpet the previous owner of the house installed in order to sell the house twelve years ago.
This has always confused me, although I did it, too. My carpet needed changing when I sold my first house, and I figured I'd acknowledge that and work in some kind of carpet credit or price reduction into the final closing costs. That way the buyer could pick the carpet they wanted, and I wouldn't have to day anything about installing a new one.

But EVERYONE I talked to except my dad told me that it was better to install cheap neutral carpet before showing the house. I needed to sell quickly, so I went ahead and did that. Plus, I had it painted, even though I thought it would be better to let the buyer pick the color.

I don't really understand it, myself. But I've gotten anecdotal evidence that it's true. The house we bought last year was on the market for longer than it should have been, and they hadn't replaced carpet or painted.

I still think it's nuts.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, watch Sell This House! on A&E and it will make you a believer. We're accustommed to such a high level of consumer driven marketing that it's very hard for most people to envision the house they're walking through any other way than the way it's presented.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch "Designed to Sell" on HGTV - they fix up a house with a $2,000 budget (sometimes the homeowner volunteers to pay for something like carpet or appliances, but usually that's the whole budget).

Sometimes they get thousands more than they originally asked. The woman in tonight's show had her house on the market for six months before they came in.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I love Designed to Sell. I think that watching their show was what gave us the idea to change from nasty linoleum in kitchen to new linoleum even if it was stick-on squares and probably upped the apprasial value of our house considerably because we'd disposed of the eyesore.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, if you come down here sometime to visit, who knows what he'll do to the house.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*perks up*

Well I'm going to see fugu again in two weeks. And he'd better bring me a bottle of Honey Mead if he wants to go home with a puppy.

AJ

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* Bribery is necessary to get puppies? How cute.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hmm I viewed it as bribery necessary to get the Honey Mead
[Wink]
AJ

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky bastards. When I return - from whatever it may be, including a 7-week trip to Australia - I get nothing. NOTHING.

All I get is mother-nagging; when I've been out for three days, so tired that I didn't defecate or take a shower for 36 hours (after walking 9 hours every day in the desert, late spring, around 37 degrees Celsius) - and all I get is nagging. "How was it? Did you sleep enough? What did you eat? What did you see?" It's 10 O'clock at night, and I don't even have energy to take my clothes off before sleeping, or walking to my bed. I've got 20KG of stuff on my back, and it's hunched like that lad from Notre-DAMN!, whatever his name was. "It ******* well sucked. I'm hungry, thirsty, suffocating, tired and really, REALLY stressed and irritated. Leave me alone."

And I'm not even an adult - for Christ's sake! Am I really so unlovable by all except a few open-hearts found here on Hatrack?

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
Pushing for a compliment?
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

umm... I think comparing this to a parental relationship is entirely inappropriate. Parent-child relationships are not those of equality, they aren't supposed to be. It's apples and oranges.

Parents don't exist to make you happy. They exist to keep you alive until you can survive on your own. And often times that includes making you unhappy in order to improve your character. Particularly if they financed the Australia expedition, they are going into it with expectations that somehow you will be a better person as a result of the experience. It is very rare for a parent-child interaction to be spontaneously altruistic and have no strings attached. There's always an expectation from one side or the other on something.

AJ

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pushing for a compliment?
Nope. I had enough for the past year. I'm a "grumpy guts".

Still, when any family returns I ssentially always get them something - even a symbolic chocolate!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ: I'll bring at least a bottle of honey mead, and possibly some other stuff too [Smile]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Sounds like they just wanted to know how you were, JH. But I understand that sometimes parents can irritate.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

woo hoo!!! My friend Jacque may be coming out to see the puppies the last weekend in April. So I'm not sure any more exactly when I want you to come pick the puppy up.

AJ

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, works for me, I've got enough to do in preparation for the big day [Big Grin]

Heck, if its late enough I can work it into my still-forming trip up to Chicago and then the Twin Cities. I'd take amtrak to you, then to st. paul, then back to you, then go home from you in some way that allows a dog to come along (flying?).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.