FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Airline travel: Why some of the big ones are losers

Author Topic: Airline travel: Why some of the big ones are losers
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7361516/

I've mentioned elsewhere that I travel some for work. Last year I travelled a lot. Last week I had a last minute trip to Buffalo, NY, the ticket for which was cheapest if I flew two different carriers. Going out, I flew Northwest, coming back, I flew United. Last year when making this trip the 7 or 8 times I did, I also occassionally flew US Airways or Continental. Whenever possible, I fly Alaska.

So I was talking to the flight attendant on Northwest, and he commented how they have really cut back on services. They apparently were able to save $300K a year by eliminating pillows. That's $300K total for the whole airline. Hmm. And they saved even more by cutting out in-flight entertainment, like music and movies. Hmm again.

Last year, I wanted to fly Northwest when I had to go to Buffalo because the miles went to my Alaska Airlines account, and because my frequent flier status went with me (I'm a Gold member). This translates to nice perks like sitting up front and free upgrades. Mostly I couldn't fly Northwest, though, because they were FAR more expensive than most other carriers, including United.

So then after talking to this flight attendant, I get to thinking that Northwest must just have a death wish. If they want the gov't to step in and save them, my comment to President Bush will be don't do it! United and Continental were happy to show me movies, play soothing music, offer me a pillow and sometimes even give me the exit row without additional charge despite the fact that I have no frequent flier status with them. Northwest just said "we can't afford to give you good service". Well, I guess they can afford to do without the $30K I spent last year in airfare too.

I guess my point is that the gov't shouldn't rescue the airlines if they won't at least *try* to have a reasonably decent business model. It smacks of subsidizing the buggy whip industry.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm . . .

While I'm against most subsidies, there are cases, including those surrounding the airline industry, where subsidies may be reasonable and necessary.

For instance, if a major carrier were going to stop flying all planes for some reason, it would be reasonable for the government to step in and hold that airline up, at least long enough for it to gradually reduce operations or endure other major penalty. A major airline just stopping would significantly endanger the economy.

The airlines are part of this country's social and economic infrastructure. That airlines exist and operate in the US in decent quantity is necessary for the US to function competitively.

Now, it doesn't appear we are in danger of quite that much, and in any case what seems to be happening are low-fault rescue subsidies, where the airlines receive them but undergo too little penalty. Clearly there are air traffic business models that work, and a little upheaval is a price we pay for overall more efficient markets. I would not be opposed, though, to a limited loan fund for bailing out airlines which meet certain requirements of difficult situations. Those requirements would include servicing a decent number of smaller population centers (they want government subsidies, they have to provide less profitable public service) and certain internal and external oversights, and the loans would need to be paid back, with reduced bankruptcy protection.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
That's odd, because my experience with major carriers has been abit of the opposite. I suppose, though, that I'm only considering dependability in that. Northwest is one of my favorites simply because the flights are consistently on time. United has messed me up royally every time I've flown with them. Granted, though; every time I've flown with them has involved O'Hare airport, so it may not be United who's to blame. I've had the most experience with Delta, who are pretty reliable but not very cushy or particularly pleasant. The best flight I've ever had was AirFrance, but hey, we could have guessed that.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Delta was wonderful on my last trip. They did everything to help me when I was traveling alone with a not-quite-one-year-old. American, on the other hand, didn't even check to see if her car seat was buckled in correctly on the flight home from CA last June.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, I hadn't thought about the impact to the economy. That's a really good point. I guess my "fix" would be to have the gov't back the current outstanding ticketed liability, but not prop up the airline itself. By this I mean, they'd guarantee 80% face value to any carrier willing to take the passenger.

Hi Susie, welcome to Hatrack! I haven't flown Delta in a long time, but I don't have any negative thoughts about them.

I hear you about going through O'Hare. I got an extra day in Buffalo one of my trips last year because O'Hare was closed. United turned the problem to their advantage though, when they called me when it became clear that my flight would be cancelled and booked me on a flight the next day. I was able to choose between an uncomfortable night on the floor at O'Hare and a much more comfortable night in a bed at a hotel in Buffalo. I did have to pay for the hotel, but that was negligible.

I do like flying through Detroit (NW). The airport there is very nice -- lots of place to eat. And Minneapolis is nice too, though Continental has conspired to make me get my exercise when I get routed through there.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
psst . . . Susie ain't new. [Smile]

-o-

We usually almost never fly, but as weird fate would have it, we have taken five trips that involve flying in the last two years. Our second to last one was on Continental. I found it incredibly unpleasant, but then I find flying incredibly unpleasant anyway, so I didn't think much of it. My biggest complaint (that I think they could do something about) is how tight the seating arrangements are. I am not a sardine, and I do not appreciate being treated as one.

Anyway, I was dreading the flight out to Iowa this week, which was on United. And it was unpleasant in the way that flying always is, but you know what? Having flown two different airlines in such temporal proximity, I could compare, and United gives you substantially more space in coach class than Continental does. Guess what? I'm done flying Continental. It's just not that important to save ten or twenty bucks. No more.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.