FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help from someone who knows something about strep!

Author Topic: Help from someone who knows something about strep!
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
My throat is absolutely killing me, and I can't get an appointment with Student Health Services until tomorrow afternoon. (They really suck something awful, everyone else tells me who'se been to them)

Is there anything whatsoever I can do to ease this pain???

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
gargle with hot salt water
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Honey and lemon, taken straight or in tea.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Warm salt water. If you have access to liquid Benadryl (or liquid store brand diphenhydramine), try gargling, then swallowing, a small amount of that. It has mild topical anesthetic properties. If you're like most people, it will also make you sleepy, so you can ignore the pain for a few hours.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and take Tylenol. It will not only help with the pain, it can bring down that streppy fever a bit to make you more comfortable. Swallow with the aid of hot tea with honey or lots and lots of sugar. If you really can't manage the pills, crush them up, or get the capsules and break one open, mix it with some applesauce, and take it that way.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
my standard answer to all health questions: decapitation
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ginger or lemon tea. For ginger, peel and slice about an inch of ginger root, add honey and boiling water. For lemon, use about a half a sliced lemon, also with honey and boiling water. Always made me feel better.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the advice guys. I did what you said, and I'm feeling a little bit better.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
If you truly suspect you have Strep throat, be sure to get a culture even if you start to feel better. And complete any antibiotics you are prescribed. Untreated Strep can lead to some very severe complications.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

::nods::

I just hope Student Health treats me properly. They are known to be god-awful.

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine had the strep spread to her leg. It was ugly and involved a stay in the hospital.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
The crazy thing about the strep test is that it takes about 5 minutes to get your results and that it takes 24 hours+ to get an appointment. By then, how many people have been infected? (Just a thought brought on by the fact that my coworker just went home today on antibiotics due to a strep related illness, one which she failed to mention until 12:00.)
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Strep is only spread by direct contact (kissing, sharing eating utensils, direct touching of skin lesions). You're not going to get infected by sitting in a classroom or office with someone with a Strep infection. Actually, most people have Strep on their skin and/or in their nose and throat anyway. It's an opportunistic pathogen that's just waiting for your immune system to give it a chance to invade your tissues.

Most doctors offices will do throat cultures without an office visit. The 5 minute Strep test is quick and dirty. You will still need a 24 hour culture to determine antibiotic resistance. And antibiotic resistant Strep is very rare, fortunately.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*paranoia*

I'm sure she coughed on me. [Angst]

[ April 04, 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.