FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tough Questions

Author Topic: Tough Questions
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has been posting these to an email loop, I figured I'd bring some over here and see what kind of responses we generate...

"For $20,000 would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone, and that there would be no long-term effect on your career."

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Would the family know?
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
No. No amount of money is worth ruining my teeth. Or my self-respect. *says jeniwren who just got out of the shower because she didn't have time to take one this morning*
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Despite my Professionalism vs. Appearance thread, there are lines I certainly would not cross. I can't stand myself if my hair is not washed daily and many have told me that is excessive. I'm also paranoid about not leaving the house without brushed teeth and hair. I don't sweat much, but I need deoderant as well.

It would take a lot more than $20,000. [Smile]

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
No way. I couldn't do it. I feel disgusting after a week camping and get desperate for a shower. Swimming in lakes can only hold of the stench for so long.

Edit: Refraining from doing even that would definately not be cool.

[ April 04, 2005, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: chel ]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I got my job? Sure. As long as I can floss and eat toast, I'm not that worried about the teeth.

Reminds me of a conversation we had at a recent hatrack get together, about how I married into a family that uses a freshly washed towel for every ****ed shower.

P.S. I don't use deodorant. [Blushing]

[ April 04, 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's think about this...
20,000 dollars could buy me a house, or at least lots of hay and would mean no having to work...
But I'd smell terrible and I hate that.
I really like being clean.
hmm

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
What would I be doing and who would I be around?

20k would solve a lot of problems and as long as I didn't have worry about offending anyone I actually cared about, I'd seriously consider it.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The lawyer in me is looking for loopholes, and there seem to be adequate ones:

1.) Shave my head.
2.) Go swimming twice a day.
3.) Listerine and floss.
4.) AC on even in the winter.

[Big Grin]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather drop dead.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you swimming? I think I'd rather stink than suffer the accumulation of chlorine.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. Its not that uncommon for me to go weeks at a time with out doing those things. No one bugs me about it as is (or they just lightly tease me, cause its been part of who I am for as long as I can remember). Whats a few months?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
For sure.
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudders* It'd have to be a lot more. Although I might give into peer pressure on the subject.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant, Dag!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I'm not the only one who looked for loopholes!!

My original answer was:
I'm cloistering myself in my house and sending the kids to gramma's for the three months. Going Susan Powter on the hair. I don't have a dishwasher so I'll have to wash dishes by hand - it's not my fault that a corollary of that is that my hands and arms MIGHT just get wet and soapy. And of course I have to wash floors and walls - and that gets to be a rather messy wet job...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you mean all three?! I was thinking I would only have to pick one. I thought maybe I could do without the teeth brushing if I drank lots of water. But no way if it's all three. $20,000 isn't that much.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I would *definitely* do that.

In a heartbeat.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost...but I have to brush my teeth!! Ugh. I don't know.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Just eat a lot of apples.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I distinctly saw the word "or." That means, in my mind, that I would only have to pick one of those things. I could do the deodorant one. Easy. [Smile]

Yeah, ok. It means all three. Then I'd just get Dag as my lawyer and use his great loopholes.

[ April 04, 2005, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, isn't this based off of some short story where a man couldn't do so for a year, but every time he reached in his pockets he had gold?

My answer, three months? Sure. Curse me for this, but I already rarely brush my teeth. The washing part would bug me a bit, especially if I touched some slimey peice of food...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

I would find many ingeneous ways to clean myself without washing.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of washing is banned? Can you wash your hands before cooking or after using the bathroom?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I have OCD, so just thinking about it is making me nervous. I think I'll go shower, brush my teeth, and use deoderant.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I would do it. I would have to do something with my hair, though. Put it in braids or something and put it up. It would be pretty nasty at the end of three months.

But I simply could NOT go without washing my hands. That would drive me crazy. I think I could handle being a walking cesspool as long as my hands were clean.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I would just wash dishes right before and after I ate, and any other times it was necessary.

[ April 04, 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.