FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Not to Wear--does anyone else watch this?

Author Topic: What Not to Wear--does anyone else watch this?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's awesome, namely because:

1) Stacy and Clint are hafreakinglarious
3) I've seen just about every body type represented and given good, general, practical fashion advice.
3) I just realized I wrote 3 in the second bullet point
4) You can now nominate yourself to be on the show. Providence, RI has it's perks, unfortunately. [Frown]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I love this show. You're right on all three of those counts...and Clinton is my favorite. He's hot, funny, and...hot.

Oh, and he dresses nice too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it, but haven't watched it for awhile. Whatever happened to the first guy with the long hair? I can't remember his name ...

I could use $5,000 for a new wardrobe, but would hate to spend the kind of money that they do. With $5,000, I could buy clothes for my entire family: husband, 2 daughters, mom, sister and her four kids ...

I don't always agree with their advice on specific items of clothing. And, I dress casually but not weird enough to qualify for their show, I'm afraid - remember that woman that has a beauty salon?

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Clint (to Stacy, quoting Bad-dresser biker): Did you know that wearing a brown leather coat means you favor Japanese motorcycles?

Stacy: *Pauses, then laughs uncontrollably*

Probably one of my favorite moments in the series...the two of them work so well together!

And yes, Clint is very hot. [Cool]

[ April 05, 2005, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

My favorite line:

Clint (to bad dresser): And look! You're not even wearing a bra!

Bad dresser: Yes I am!

Clint: Wow. That bra owes your boobs an apology.

[ROFL]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

[ROFL]

Apparently I should start watching that show again.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I saw on one of the special episodes with extras Clint sitting on the floor while Stacey and bad Dresser Female shopped for women's underwear. Clint sang a song about wanting to gouge his eyes out.
Narnia
Member # 1071

CaySedai, it's SO much better than it was with either the British Women or the crazy guy with the long hair. Clinton and Stacey are tasteful, they encourage their 'victims' to buy things that fit, that are flattering to their body type...though they can be a bit harsh in a funny sort of way at times. [Smile]
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

It's all done in love. But it's especially funny when they wrestle clothes away from people.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I never saw the show with the British ladies, except on Oprah once, I think ... if I remember correctly, they cut clothes off a woman in the middle of a mall ...

and
quote:
Clint sang a song about wanting to gouge his eyes out.
Wow - not only a snappy dresser, but musically inclined ...
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

wow. Clint and Stacy never do that. [Angst]
FIJC
Member # 5505

- posted      Profile for FIJC   Email FIJC         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it a few times, can't say that I would block off personal time to watch it though.

quote:
"I love this show. You're right on all three of those counts...and Clinton is my favorite. He's hot, funny, and...hot."
No offense, but Clinton seems more like a girl than a man. I am simply not attracted to guys who are more into clothes than I am. I like all-American-boy-next-door types.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh come on. Clothes just happen to be his profession! [Wink] He still seems very masculine to me. He just knows what looks good and is making money off of that knowledge.

I probably wouldn't DATE a guy like that, simply because I'd always be worried about what I was wearing...but I can admire him from afar. [Big Grin]

FIJC
Member # 5505

- posted      Profile for FIJC   Email FIJC         Edit/Delete Post 
He's just too girly for me. [Smile] Are you sure he isn't gay?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this show too. Haven't seen it in a long time because we don't have cable or anything.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it once with the british ladies, wasn't incredibly impressed, hopefully I can catch a few episodes sometime I'm somewhere with cable.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thinks this show is mean? I hate this show. If someone went through my wardrobe like they did, on public TV, I'd be in tears. And furious at the person who nominated me for such humiliation. Even the title of the show is condescending. There's ways to improve someone's wardrobe without making them feel liek a moron.

Edited to add that I've only ever seen the Clint-and-Stacy version.

[ April 05, 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel weird saying this, but I rather like the show. When I first saw it a while back, I thought that Stacie was obnoxious and that they were just too mean. But I've recently started watching it, and it seems like it's changed a lot. Sure, they make fun of people's clothes, but not out of spite.

And like Muppers said, they give good advice to all kinds of people. In the episodes I've seen, no one has been unhappy at the end of the show. They're always thankful that they've been pulled out of their twenty-year-old fashion rut and that they can look at themselves in the mirror and like what they see. I think that's pretty cool.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Presumeably the nominee either knows about this in advance and/or signs a waiver before any of the serious shooting takes place.

For some people, it's a chance to be shown on tv and get a new wardrobe, so it's a good deal in their opinion.

And from most reports, they do so in relatively good humor - as opposed to having someone like Simon shred any bit of self-delusion they might have had.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.