FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this bad?

Author Topic: Is this bad?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this thing in my mouth. It started out feeling like a regular cold sore, right at the juncture of my gum and my lip, but it's been four days, and it's not responding to the regular 50% hydrogen peroxide/50% water or very salty warm water treatments. I looked at it, and it's now looking funky: a white ring around a dark, sunken area. It's extraordinarily sore, and the surrounding area (my lip, basically) is now visibly puffy, as well as tender. The puffiness and tenderness also extend down at an angle, toward my mandible, and below that all the way to the lymph node slightly in front of my jawbone, which is also swollen.

Any ideas what's going on? What can I do about it? Seeing a doctor is not an option; we have no insurance and can't afford it. [Frown]

[ April 06, 2005, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, have any of you ever had this?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have your wisdom teeth in? Sounds like one could have grown in very wrong.

[ April 06, 2005, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: no. 6 ]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I did, and I also felt like poop on top of it so I thought it was strep cause the sores were towards the back of my mouth. I went to the medical center before work (didn't want anyone to catch strep if that's what it was) and they said it wasn't anything they had a name for, just some ole nasty virus, and all I could do about it was drink water and take aspirin for the pain [Dont Know]

It disappeared after less than a week [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up, but I always drink tons of crysanthanum tea whenever I get cold sores or sore throats and I always feel better after a day or two.

I hope you feel better. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So, ride it out?

I know my wisdom teeth are coming in, and we don't have money to get them out, either, but all that they seem to be doing is aggravating my TMJ and pushing my teeth out of alignment so I can no longer get my retainer on.

This is in the front of my mouth, about half an inch from the midline of my face, on the bottom, at the juncture of the gum and the lip, or maybe a little above, on the gum.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had them, they're annoying but they go away.

Just remember that the mouth is a veriable fount of bacteria, and any small wound inside the mouth takes a long time to heal.

Sounds like you're doing the best you can with it - just ride it out. It will go away soon.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What's worrying me is the swelling and tenderness in the surrounding tissue. [Angst]
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had them too. As long as they don't come in multiples, I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I had several, they put me on antibiotics and they cleared up in a couple of days. I know they are horribly painful. Advil helps some.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
I get nasty canker sores in my mouth quite often. I find that they're usually caused/aggravated by nuts and chocolate. They usually get exactly like what you've just described: sunken center, white ring, swollen nodes and all. Mine usually take about two weeks to finally disappear. The only real cure I've found is to have a dentist cauterize them with acid (it's painful, but it works). Taking Ibuprofen makes mine less sore.

I empathize completely with what you're going through. I'd wait another week or so and see if it's getting any better. The location could be worse: I once had one near the back of my throat and eating anything and even breathing was unbearable agony for two weeks.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like when I had a mucocele. Try looking that up on the search and see if it matches what you have.

Farmgirl

here's a sample photo

[ April 06, 2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I had that once. It sucked for a while then it went away. My girlfriend has had the same thing a couple times, and she had to wait it out as well. Nothing we tried worked. Sorry to be of no help. I know they are painful, you have my sympathies.

--APostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nah, it's not that, FG. It seems, after considering everyone's information and what I can remember, like it's just a cold sore that had gotten further than it usually does before I treated it (I think it took me the same amount of time to notice it, it just progressed faster; it's possible my immune system is still a little weak after losing all that blood with the miscarriage last week).

After another salt-water gargle (aaargh, that stuff burns like all heck), it's no longer looking black in the middle; it looks yellow instead, which I'm taking as a good sign. I'll keep up with the salt water (which definitely helps more than the hydrogen peroxide), and hope that it goes away soon.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Lysine!!! You can get a small tube of lysine ointment at the health food store; it works wonders.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You can also take lysine in capsule form and it really DOES work. [Smile] I was really prone to terrible, multiple canker sores as a teenager and I took lysine as part of my vitamins every day. Helped a lot. The cream is probably a better treatment, but the supplements are good prevention.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. That sucks. [Frown] ((KQ))

I think this, and my chiropractor appointment today, have inspired me to write an opera. Yes - a theatrical masterpiece about suffering and loathing and why the American healthcare system SUCKS.

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lysine!!! You can get a small tube of lysine ointment at the health food store; it works wonders.
This is SO true! Lysine has never failed me.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What's lysine? *goes off to google it*

Aaaah, I thought it sounded familiar. It's an essential amino acid. I get the trauma/stress/local infection kind of cold sores, though, and wikipedia says it's used for the herpes kind of cold sores. I wonder if it would work anyway.

I don't think I'll need it, though; I've been doing the salt water gargle every 4 hours or so, and it feels like it's doing its work-- "cauterizing" the sore, and now it's "scabbing" (not really, but it feels kinda like it 'cause I can't move my lip too much without feeling like I'm ripping off a fresh scab). The local puffiness is there still, and the tenderness is still present, but lessened. The neck and lymph node swelling and tenderness are gone.

Ah, the wonderfulness that is home remedies.

Annie, if you write that opera, can I be in it?

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! You're the damsel in distress.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh. Cool.

But I meant perform it-- I can sing, pretty much. Not right now, but...

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I get the trauma/stress/local infection kind of cold sores, though, and wikipedia says it's used for the herpes kind of cold sores. I wonder if it would work anyway.
I was going to turn that into a joke about it actually being herpes. But you're so nice. It'd be like clubbing baby seals or repeatedly running kittens over with a lawn mower. [Wink]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Roll Eyes] There's more than one kind of herpes, you know. [Razz]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the internet only talks about genital herpes. The internet is always right.

An alternative that I came up with was that you had a job cleaning stripper poles part time. That still didn't sound particularly nice. It's still better than implying that you have a man on the side or something though.

Hey, you offered me girls clothes. While I didn't take you up on the offer, I still thought I'd be nice in return [Razz] .

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, if I had a man on the side, I'm sure it would make more sense to have genital herpes in my mouth. *shudders* (Yes, it can happen. No, not to me.)

But, in fact, I don't. Nor do I clean, ah, dance poles with my tounge. [Eek!]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and we really do have a lot of pretty summer clothes, including adorable sundresses, if you want them this summer. Just e-mail me if your daughter runs out of clothes. [Wink]
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

I used to aske people who wanted to borrow my chapstick whether they had Lip Herpes. Apparently, even though it's funny to me, not everyone knows the difference between Simplex A and Simplex B.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.