FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Natural cold/allergy remedies

Author Topic: Natural cold/allergy remedies
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh. I've been sick since Friday. It began with a sore throat, which is better now, progressed to extreme inner ear pain, and is now visiting my body in the form of a massive headache and an alternating runny and stuffed-up nose. Any suggestions? My OB took a look yesterday and said I can take Benedryl (which makes me tired, so I can't take it for another few hours). I got 4 1/2 hours of sleep last night due to the headache/nose thing and am willing to try anything that's pregnancy safe.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Hot liquids, such as tea, move out all the crap in your throat. Very helpful...

Get better!

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is full of good ideas. I know how much that sucks. Hope you find releif!

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=028115

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Add honey and lemon to the tea. It's fabulous for a sore/scratchy throat.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
See my advice on nasal saline spray in the thread dpr linked.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
If your stomach can handle it, I've found that spicy mexican food (Specifically green chile stew or chile rellenos, but a zippy salsa works too) clears out chest congestion better than any pharmaceutical.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I take this: Cold & Flu Support but it is basically geared toward building up your immune system to better help your body fight off getting sick, not as much to help you getting better once you ARE sick. It has Echinacea, which is commonly used in health food circles to help fight off colds.

However, as with anything -- the label says that if you are pregnant, consult your doctor and get their approval before taking it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. I'll see if Mr. Opera can pick up some saline spray on the way home. Hope this crap goes away soon.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, if he gets nasal saline spray, make sure it's the kind that's safe for pregnant women. Some have a chemical in it that can cause pre-term labor. I'm leaving a message asking my dad about what it's called because my brain is fried and I can't remember. I'll let you know when I find out, unless someone else can fill in my faulty memory here.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried taking pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) with an antihistamine? Everyone's brain chemistry is different, but I find pseudoephedrine to combat antihistamine drowsiness and most headaches as well as the obvious decongestant use. dpr's thread said Sudafed was ok for pregnancy, but Pfizer's product info says to ask a health professional before use. Not as "natural" as ephedra but the doses are more uniform.

For the headache, you might try caffeine if you do not use it regularly. If you take it from tea it is pretty natural.

Nothing wrong with natural products; they work as well as OTC or prescription remedies, but keep in mind that if it works it has the potential to be dangerous, either alone or in combination with any other medication you may be taking. Natural does not mean safe.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, I have no idea if it can induce labor or not, but some nasal sprays (Afrin) contain oxymetazoline. Ring a bell?
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just got a call back from my dad. It's benzoate or benzoic acid. Some brands have it, some don't; read the ingredients before using if you're pregnant.
Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

- posted      Profile for Jane_Lane   Email Jane_Lane         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried brewing several slices of ginger in some water with honey? If you hate ginger, obviously not good, but I find it really soothes a sore throat, clears my head and generally makes me feel better. Not sure if it's got anything that'll actually help you get better - Isn't ginger meant to be really good for your immune system or something?
Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's good for your tummy, your throat, and your nose, anyway.
Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

- posted      Profile for Jane_Lane   Email Jane_Lane         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well I knew it was good for something!

Your cold-sore-eque thing any better Ketchupqueen?

Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I finally took some benedryl after picking up the kiddos from school. It's helped the headache recede a tiny bit, but of course now I'm dead on my feet. Interesting note - the teeny tiny grocery in my town no longer carries Sudafed and will be pulling other meds from the shelf due to potential problems with them being used as meth ingredients.

kq, thanks for asking about the nasal spray. And Danzig, excellant point about needing to be careful of herbal remedies.

Mr. Opera is on his way home. I'm going to have a cup of tea and retire to the bedroom, where I'll watch the 2nd season of ER till I fall into the normal benedryl-induced coma.

space opera

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Some. I'm still gonna pamper it with easy-to-eat foods tonight: onion soup, poached salmon, steamed peas, and rice (possibly bread, but rice requires less chewing). Just so I don't aggravate it.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite remedy is Hot and Sour Soup, especially if it's really hot and really sour. Mmmm. It makes my nose run, it tastes lovely, and it makes me at least FEEL like it's doing something.. [Wink]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Sounds like Mr. Opera is bringing home chinese tonight for dinner!

I actually slept last night for about 9 hours...yay! I'm still sick, though. [Frown] The sore throat is back and now I have a cough.

space opera, official cold whiner

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Poor thing. (((hugs)))

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.