FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So who's writing a novel or short story right now? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So who's writing a novel or short story right now?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The snowflake method definitely isn't going to work for everyone.

No method does - everybody must find what works for them. I use parts of it, adapted to my own style, because I am so lacking in structure.

I had to laugh when Randy put in there "Now, sell the novel." Yeah. Easier said than done, my friend. [Smile]

Of course textbooks count. Any writing counts. This is not a formal thing remember, just supposed to be a way of encouraging each other.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to use the snowflake method. I just write. Any method I try to follow just distracts me. This weekend I think I'm going to sit and stare at the computer until I have at least 2,000 words, not much I realize. But if I do that every weekend for awhile I have a lot of writing done. So that is my goal, to have 2,000 words by Tuesday, not Monday because I'm still asleep then thus I consider it the weekend still.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahim just . . . writes. He has bits and pieces of dialogue and scenes occur to him, he writes them down, and somewhere in the back of the brain, it all organizes itself and it comes out fairly well formed. He doesn't need structure before he sits down to write. He just writes.

Yes, every writer will have their own methods that work for them. The important thing is that you, as a writer, find out what works for you.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, maybe I'm out. I just got a great job that I will be starting at just after graduation. Good luck, the rest of you!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm cooking several differnt stories in my head right now. My problem is that I think about the stories for a long time, try to work a lot of it out in my head, and never get any of it down on paper. Or if I do get it down on paper I realise how stupid it sounds and abandon the idea.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Leadership
Member # 7766

- posted      Profile for The Leadership   Email The Leadership         Edit/Delete Post 
I call my book "Broken Universe". But it's not a novel but a group of short stories featuring a guy called Fraeyan Benarr.

So far I've got three of the stories done and I need encouragement on the fourth so count me in.

Does anyone want to read the stories?

The Leadership

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read them. Just e-mail them to me, the address is in my profile.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be game, but I don't know how active I would be in the writing department, at least at first. I would definitely do critiques though.

Maybe someone could create a private Yahoo or Google Group. Who ever creates the group could then invite anyone who has expressed interest in this thread. We could share files, and by keeping it private, we could restrict access. Would that be enough to protect copyright and publishing rights? Just a thought.

Hehehe.... forgot to answer the question. Well, I did manage to write 50,000 words for NANO last year (still not done). I also have a couple of ideas and a few paragraphs written for several short stories. My inability to get pass the whole "my writing sucks" phase usually keeps me from going any further though. *sigh*

[ April 08, 2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: larisse ]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still working on the novel that came out of the scene i wrote for the Romance Writers thread. I've got a ton of other stuff going on, though, and it's hard to focus. So I'm trying to get a page in every day.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting ready to send my first novel out to sell before the end of the month, and getting cracking on finishing my second.
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes !!!! [Smile] I did it !! I write another poem !! I am happy !! It's a poem about the beautiful Ireland. what a pleasure to make it and to finish it.

Now, I'll begin a new poem. I search the next topic. Monday, i'll describe my new goals.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't cook a novel or short story idea in my head. For me, it has to be raw. I have to start writing as soon as the idea pops into my head, and then in the process of writing, I'll usually find a way to answer all the questions I have at the beginning.

So, yes, different things work for different people.

Started a novel--my second novel (first was no good)--on January 31 2005 and have written 74 pages so far. All very rough, mind.

I've also finished 6 new short stories in the last half a year. Of course, they seem like halfway decent stories now, but as soon as I start sending them out to magazines, they'll start looking worse and worse with every rejection letter I get back.

Ah well...perhaps we all need to be reminded on a weekly basis that our stories "just don't grab" anyone. Keeps our egos in check.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Among my various novel-length projects (which is the medium I prefer to work in) I have one I'd most like to actually make decent progress on. It needs re-writing, basically, as my originally idea, although good (in my humble opinion, of course) in story, character, premise, etc. was written so long ago that my writing has totally changed since then. So it's basically a revision.

And I'm going so slowly. Curses.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty then. I've created a Yahoo! group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hatrack-Writers/ so feel free to sign up. I've created it such that only members can read the archives. Also, I have to approve anyone who wants to join, so please provide your Hatrack name when you sign up so we know who's who.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo... cool, quid. Thanks. Just signed up.

/waits patiently to be assimil.... er... I mean accepted

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the best things about NaNoWriMo was not that in addition to giving you a finish line, it give you a starting line. I had a week and a half in which I was not allowed to actually write, so I just had to think and outline and plot. That was invaluable for me, so that when the serious butt-in-chair began, I had a roadmap for what to work on day by day.

This is providential for me, as I was just posting on my pen name livejournal that my goal of mailing this on my birthday is about 2 months off, and I haven't touched it since I finished NaNoEdMo (which only 115 other people finished [Blushing] I'll have you know) Also, if you go back to Late October, November, there may be some entries about the writing process. It really is my journal for my pen name, though I do range into misc personal stuff here and there.

Okay, GOAL: read through and mark it up, keeping in mind an audience of my neighbor/walking buddy.

[ April 09, 2005, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I killed the thread.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nah, ya didn't. I did. [Cry]
mothertree
Member # 4999

So has anyone joined? I would join except that would involve going someplace else, and I'm already on the Hatrack Writers Workshop thingme. Man, my head is just spinning and I don't know why. It's probably the taxes.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
nobody killed the thread,we already had a monday check in thread. Be at peace. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.