FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The longest sentence in English

Author Topic: The longest sentence in English
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never passed 65 per sentence, and I only use one semicolon per sentence, unless it's one of those list-sentences.

quote:
In the event that the Purchaser defaults in the payment of any instalment of purchase price, taxes, insurance, interest, or the annual charge described elsewhere herein, or shall default in the performance of any other obligations set forth in this Contract, the Seller may: at his option: (a) Declare immediately due and payable the entire unpaid balance of purchase price, with accrued interest, taxes, and annual charge, and demand full payment thereof, and enforce conveyance of the land by termination of the contract or according to the terms hereof, in which case the Purchaser shall also be liable to the Seller for reasonable attorney's fees for services rendered by any attorney on behalf of the Seller, or (b) sell said land and premises or any part thereof at public auction, in such manner, at such time and place, upon such terms and conditions, and upon such public notice as the Seller may deem best for the interest of all concerned, consisting of advertisement in a newspaper of general circulation in the county or city in which the security property is located at least once a week for Three (3) successive weeks or for such period as applicable law may require and, in case of default of any purchaser, to re-sell with such postponement of sale or resale and upon such public notice thereof as the Seller may determine, and upon compliance by the Purchaser with the terms of sale, and upon judicial approval as may be required by law, convey said land and premises in fee simple to and at the cost of the Purchaser, who shall not be liable to see to the application of the purchase money; and from the proceeds of the sale: FIRST to pay all proper costs and charges, including but not limited to court costs, advertising expenses, auctioneer's allowance, the expenses, if any required to correct any irregularity in the title, premium for Seller's bond, auditor's fee, attorney's fee, and all other expenses of sale occurred in and about the protection and execution of this contract, and all moneys advanced for taxes, assessments, insurance, and with interest thereon as provided herein, and all taxes due upon said land and premises at time of sale, and to retain as compensation a commission of five percent (5%) on the amount of said sale or sales; SECOND, to pay the whole amount then remaining unpaid of the principal of said contract, and interest thereon to date of payment, whether the same shall be due or not, it being understood and agreed that upon such sale before maturity of the contract the balance thereof shall be immediately due and payable; THIRD, to pay liens of record against the security property according to their priority of lien and to the extent that funds remaining in the hands of the Seller are available; and LAST, to pay the remainder of said proceeds, if any, to the vendor, his heirs, personals representatives, successors or assigns upon the delivery and surrender to the vendee of possession of the land and premises, less costs and excess of obtaining possession.
Not bad, but can anyone quote something longer than these 516? (I heard of some 13,000 words!)
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In theory, you could cheat by making any list subdivided by semi-colons.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the longest sentence I ever read was in Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius series.

But, like Tom stated previously, it was just a very long list, separated by commas instead of colons, which went on and on for a couple of pages.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, there's no limit to the length of a sentence in English. You could have something like "He said that I said that he said that I said that . . ." continuing forever, and it would be entirely grammatically correct.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, that's not creative!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
Most sentences are not creative. i.e. Most sentences are not creative.
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
whoa, when did Jon Boy come back?

[ April 06, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

A couple weeks ago. You didn't see my landmark? I feel so overlooked and neglected.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
What about that Jamiaca Kincaid story "Girl"? it is comprised of, I think, two sentences? Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "Letter From Birmingham Jail" also has one paragraph that is just one long sentance if I remember correctly.

However, I am not sure exactly how long they are, I am too lazy to look it up or to count the words.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

The guy who wrote the big sentence above is MY lawyer!
chracatoa
Member # 7575

- posted      Profile for chracatoa   Email chracatoa         Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick O'Brian (Capt. Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin "Master and Commander" etc.) is knwon to write really long sentences. I remember the first paragraph of one of his books was more than 300 words!
Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most sentences are not creative. i.e. Most sentences are not creative.
You mean "e.g.", right?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Zing!

And anyway, Jonathan (H., not K.), you never said it had to be creative.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

No, but why create a dull, long sntence that's basically over-systematic?

The "coolness" is why one should write it so.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a passage in the Welsh tale Culhwch and Olwen that's three or four pages long. But, as mentioned, it's a list.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything written by Beckett is a really long sentence. No semicolons.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Only his later stuff [Razz]

And in the very latest stuff, there're no periods, comma, or other punctuation as well. He was going to have no paragraph/section breaks, but decided against it at the last minute.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, yeah... i was simplifying, so sue me [Razz]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.