FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Strategic Problem for YOU!

Author Topic: Strategic Problem for YOU!
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
The Second Battle of Kharkov has ended and there is now a salient around the town of Kursk. The bulk of the local Russian army is there what do you do?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Run away?
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

A tactical withdrawl is usually only feasible if:

A) The enemy has overwhelming numbers
B) Your supply lines are spread thing and you must shorten them
C) You are ordered to
D) you are about to be cut off by an armoured spear head.

Just so you know neh? [Wink]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore this problem for lack of context.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
This has something to do with canned food, I think. Hmmm...

Raze the village!

Wait. Am I Russian or French?

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

Also if you abhor violence.

Besides, I've already stated in another, much older thread that I would never tell another strategist what my strategy is. That's the only strategy you get to know about me.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

Ah! I was going to bump it, but it's gone....

[Frown]

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Aha! So your one of THOSE! I see... I see what your strategy now is yesss.... BY not telling it to me you have indeed revealed your innomost secrets! [Evil]
no. 6
Member # 7753

Actually, I started with about the same idea you had in this thread. Everyone posted their strategic ideas, then at the end I said "Thanks very much, see you on the gaming tables."

I guess I do deserve my evil reputation. [Big Grin]

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd need a map. Grr.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

http://militera.lib.ru/memo/russian/moskalenko-2/s01.gif

then theres possibly this.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/vy75/maps/ostmap01.gif

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

My plan would've been to have gathered the bulk of my reserves in Orel rather then Kharkov and drive staright to Moscow and hopefully knowck Russia out of the war while there preparing for a showdown at Kursk. Leaving only a moderate force to distract the russians in Kursk proper. I dont knw if it could work I'ld have to look at an operational map of the region in Hoi2 when I get the chance.
no. 6
Member # 7753

*Takes notes*
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

quote:
*takes notes
heh, I got a spy in my midst... Meh ultimately a plan doesn't matter its the ability to change the plan and make it flexible to changing circumstances that does matter. Pour example: The russians decide to pinch off my spear head for moscow what do I do?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

but ya Number 6. Do you play hearts of Iron? What strategy game do you usually play and do you have team speak?
no. 6
Member # 7753

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

quote:
No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy
Who said that? I know I first read it in Ender's Shadow, but who said it first? Napoleon?
no. 6
Member # 7753

I'm rusty.

I push cardboard and lead in a number of scenarios. Squad leader got to be too much, however. Who can keep up with all those rule changes? I still like "Beat to Quarters", but who plays it? Lately my strategies are confined to board games, primarily Settlers of Catain. Oh, and CCG's (Shadowfist, Mythos, Galactic Empires).

Not much fun for me gaming, lately. Oh, well....

no. 6
Member # 7753

I don't know who said it first, but it is a trueism, nonetheless. [Smile]
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I have a very old Squad leader box and peices with Panzer Leader etc, but Close Combat for the comp was funner and basically the same system. However Hearts of Iron 2 is THE best strategy game out there. If you liked the strategic thinking in ES you'll love this game. If your interested contect me at sid_meier@hotmail.com and we'll talk about getting you a copy until you buy the real thing. Its an aswome game man.
no. 6
Member # 7753

Alas, no modern system to play on.

I'm posting at work while waiting for phone calls and e-mails.

Oh, well. Thanks!

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I didn't mean play NOW, yikes! I'm at college, though with remote desktop I probly could play it but meh too laggy. if your home comp matches the minimum requirments you'll be fine. I play with 2-4 people all the time. www.gamespot.com has review if you want more info.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
A tactical withdrawl is usually only feasible if:
A,B,C,D

Feasible means possible. I think you mean "advisable."

When A) The enemy has overwhelming numbers, holds,
often a tactical withdrawal is difficult to sustain, and troops run screaming for the hills.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

No, you see, I don't have a system at home that will run anything past 1998.

And that stuff rather badly.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Darn. The game isnt graphics intensive or anything it can play on a Pentium 3, requires only 800 Mhz, and the rest I don't remember.

lets see....

Windows 98/ ME / 2000 / XP
Pentium III 800 MHz 128 Mb RAM
1 GB Free Hard Drive Space
4 Mb Video Card DirectX Compatible
DirectX compatible Sound Card
DirectX 9.0 or higher (included on the CD)

Those aren't very high requirements but ya if your comp cant handle it then it can't. [Wall Bash] darn I was hopeing for another player too...

no. 6
Member # 7753

Sorry. No go.

I need to upgrade at home just to get on the internet with it.

But my old machine is my MIDI sequencer, so I'll probably keep it!

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The term "no plan survives contact with the enemy" is a variant of Murphy's Laws of Combat, not to be confused with "Murphy's Laws of Marriage" and "Murphy's Laws of Dating."

You can find multiple variations with a bit of searching.

As for the posed question, more details are essential beginning with - how's the weather? Russian weather broke Napoleon and Hitler.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, SidMeier, if you want to play Pdox games MP check out Victoria, the community is msall and friendly and desperate for players. Or in a few weeks my group will be starting a CK game that we intend to run to 1920 using the converters. I'm looking forward to seeing Norway stretch from the British Isles to the Pacific. DEUS VULT!

As for your question, I think I agree with the historical German approach shown in your map : Just attack the bases of the salient. OK, it didn't work in real life, but they couldn't have known that at the beginning of the battle. Besides, it was a fairly close-run thing, and I've made it work in Panzer General. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
Sid, those maps are not the best. Try this one for Kursk in particular and this one for all of WWII in the European theater.

The West Point atlases are generally the best I've seen for following large-scale conflicts.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've got the impression that the German attack failed because they gave the Russians waay too much time to prepare for it.
And, to make this annoying; what conditions are my troops in, in what condition are the enemys? Information about the enemy, my troops , the weather, the terrain and so on and so forth.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm... I would suggest a treaty: I'll give them free Vodka and disband my troops in return for their having a circumcision. Then, after the proccess was over, and the men were in pain and drunk and were not capable of fighting, I would charge, full forces, and win!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.