FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm the happiest woman alive...

Author Topic: I'm the happiest woman alive...
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my copy of SotG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, please don't tell me how good it is, I know it already.

[ April 06, 2005, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wait till they come out in paperback. Does that make me a bad fanboy, I wonder?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, Verily, ...but your name makes up for it. [Big Grin]

Kidding! Kidding! [Wink]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay, Verily. I usually just borrow it from the library. I'm a terrible person like that.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness! the library! So I don't have to wait for the paperback!!

Believe me, if we weren't hurting for money badly right now, I'd buy the hardcover. I'll just have to settle for buying the paperback when it comes out. Cause I'll have money by then. I'm an eternal optimist. [Smile]

But I really forgot about the library option... which is sad because I work in a library... (but it's an academic library, they don't get cool new books in.)

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my copy in hardcover. I not owe my parents 25 dollars, but what can you do? [Dont Know]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just requested it from the library yesterday...I'm something like seventh in line. [Frown]

Oh, and the thing about academic libraries never getting new cool books in...depends what you think the definition of cool books is. [Wink]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I always get the paperback too Verily, not only is it cheeper, but they fit in my bookshelf better too.

[Smile]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
And paperbacks are way easier to move. And when your friend drops one in the gutter while helping you move, it's cheaper to replace and you keep the friend.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
lol!

Actually, the first hardcover OSC books that I've ever owned were the women of Genesis series...my mother got me the first two for a birthday present (thinking that I hadn't read them yet) and my slight OCD forces me to have a matching set. [Smile] Imagine my chagrine when I found out that I'd have to buy 2 books instead of the just Rachel and Leah. !!

But, my mild OCD is going crazy now because I own all of the Ender/Shadow series in paperback...except for my lovely autographed copy of SotG. *throws hands up in the air* So NOW what do I do? [Wink]

Hm...Ebay I suppose.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
You can give me the autographed one if it eases your mind. [Wink]
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've had it since the first day, and I still haven't finished reading it [Frown] . It was a good early birthday present from my brother.
I own all of the shadow series in hardback. I however didn't get into the Ender's series until they were all paperback.

[ April 06, 2005, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: rav ]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine from the library too. I usually don't buy books because I have nowhere to put them in. [Dont Know]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm slowly replacing all my paperback OSC books with Hardback copies as I find them. Because I want to be a "real" collector... [Wink]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

ooooohhh
Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

- posted      Profile for Jane_Lane   Email Jane_Lane         Edit/Delete Post 
As a teenager with no credit card, I went through hell hunting out anything other than Ender's Game and Xenocide in local bookshops.

I managed to get 5 OSC books through a mixture of 2nd hand markets and Canadian Libraries and I got 'A Storyteller from Zion' as a present from my sister bought from Hatrack. Most recently, I've ordered 3 more books from Amazon.

My real breakthrough was getting 3 Shadow books and 5 Memory of Earth books, all hardback 1st editions, through ebay! Even from America, it only cost me Ā£30 or so, including shipping. Yay [Smile]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer paperback OSC books, but I'm holding out for the final and complete hardback HP box set. Bad fan. Bad bad fan.

[edit: My OSC collection (scroll down) ]

[ April 07, 2005, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: imenimok ]

Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

30 pounds? how many dollars would that be @.@ ?
Anyway, I plan on picking up the Homecoming series as soon as i'm done with SotG.

Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

Very roughly, that's about $54, (but I'm not sure of the exact exchange rate at the moment).

I'm so pleased - I feel like a 'proper' fan, now! [Smile] Only problem is, being the completist that I am, the more books I get, the more I feel I have to get to complete my collection.

Still, I have yet to get Shadow of the Giant and it's driving me mad, reading all these posts about Bean's kids and all the other stuff I'm missing out on!

[ April 07, 2005, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Jane_Lane ]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm slowly replacing all my paperback OSC books with Hardback copies as I find them.
And she gives away the replaced paperbacks! [Kiss]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Wow! You want my address? Give them to ME!!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you like me better, Farmgirl... I'm a redhead too, after all... [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I like softcovers better than hardcovers. And I borrowed all the Shadow books from the library. Even though I really love Ender's Shadow.. I don't know if I'll ever buy the series. (So poor)

But I got some really nice softcover copies of Songmaster and Hart's Hope. (which I loved) There are very few authors I'll buy books from without already having read them. OSC's one of them.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
The school library has a hardback edition of "Unnacompanied Sonata". If I were a different person, I would totally steal it.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

I find hardcover books a bit impractical - You can't stuff them in your bag to read on the train & you hardly want to lug around a couple hard-backs all day anyway. I also find them annoying when I'm reading in bed - My arms get tired if I'm holding it up!

But they look nice on my bookshelf. And that's what counts, obviously.

no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
I am torn on whether to finish 40 Signs of Rain or start SotG.

Probably SotG. FSoR is almost plotless.... [Frown]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Definition of the literary term "Plot:"
quote:
In literary criticism, this term refers to the pattern of events in a narrative or drama. In its simplest sense, the plot guides the author in composing the work and helps the reader follow the work. Typically, plots exhibit causality and unity and have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Sometimes, however, a plot may consist of a series of disconnected events, in which case it is known as an "episodic plot." In his Aspects of the Novel, EM Forster distinguishes between a story, defined as a "narrative of events arranged in their time-sequence," and plot, which organizes.
Therefore, by definition, J. R. R. Tolkiens Fellowship of the Ring is NOT "plotless" as you put it. Quite the opposite.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm slowly replacing all my paperback OSC books with Hardback copies as I find them. Because I want to be a "real" collector...
Yeah, that's what I meant when I posted that bit about Ebay....I'm BUYING hardbacks, not selling my lovely autographed hardback! [Eek!] Never!

I too am holding out for the box set of Harry Potter. I have a box set fettish though. I think I just like the box. I won't buy any movies that I know have sequels, trilogies, etc...because if I really like them, I want the BOX! [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

come on Ranch Girl!! Ignore what everyone else says, just concentrate on what I have to say. PLEASE LET ME HAVE THE OSC BOOKS YOU NO LONGER WANT!!!!!!!!
no. 6
Member # 7753

quote:
Therefore, by definition, J. R. R. Tolkiens Fellowship of the Ring is NOT "plotless" as you put it. Quite the opposite.
[ROFL]

FSoR. Forty Signs of Rain. I read Fellowship when I was 10, and still don't think of it as plotless. Quite the opposite.

40 Signs is the most scattered novel I've yet read of KSR's. (Kim Stanley Robinson's) This will make it an easy choice between the only two novels I was posting about.

But thanks for the laugh. [Wink]

[ April 07, 2005, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: no. 6 ]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Er, no. 6, I think you mixed up what you intended to quote.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

Yes I did. It was hilarious, wasn't it?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you turn a book I've never heard of (and I'd wager several others on this thread) into an acronym? I had a friend who used to do this kind of stuff. She never understood why noone understood a word she was saying or why we'd get so annoyed at her for doing it. She thought she was being cool. It was kind of sad.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

I frequent forums where the acronym is in common usage. Sorry.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of the book in question, but since 6 said the name of it in the sentence above the acronym, I understood the reference.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.