FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Crash course in LDS (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Crash course in LDS
chracatoa
Member # 7575

- posted      Profile for chracatoa   Email chracatoa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All I can say is there is a right and wrong way to live life. If you truely want to know what God wants, all you need to do is ask Him
I'd say that's dangerous. (ex.: Q: "Should I fly this airplane through that building?" A: <yes>). How would you know who's/what's answering? Crazy fundamentalists may believe they're talking to God when they are only delusional.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe that's the reasoning behind "endure to the end."
Maybe. Maybe "endure to the end" is one of several psychological tools that have been honed for millennia to keep people from looking at the man behind the curtain.

At some point one must look at the path they are on and decide if they are heading to a place they want to be. Were I to continue "enduring" I'd very likely be dead right now, or at best on the same path I'm on right now only years behind. I chose to cut my losses and when God had the chance to change that, he decided not to, or wasn't there to change anything in the first place. What bothers me far more than any fear of what God will do to me or where my path is taking me is that so many people have to judge me spiritually incomptent or outright rebellious in order to stabilize their own world view.

quote:
Not understanding this doesn't preclude the fact that there was an answer.

I cannot accept this. Only the most perverse of beings answers in a way He knows you will not be able to understand. Were such a god to exist, I could not worship him.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug*

Maybe this is the wrong place for it. People are being very respectful of yours - wouldn't it suck to have someone come in and...analyze your life decisions negatively?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's usually a good idea to assume that other people have been sincere in their personal search, and that if they found something different from you, that isn't a threat to the legitimacy of your experience. You don't have to explain it or dismiss it. Just realize that we're all here to go on different journeys, whatever those journeys may entail.
THANK YOU.

Edit: I only wish that more theists felt that way.

[ April 07, 2005, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
*shrug*

Maybe this is the wrong place for it. People are being very respectful of yours - wouldn't it suck to have someone come in and...analyze your life decisions negatively?

Have I been disrespectful?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's post was pretty on-the-nose. I think he should have been more polite.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, someone comes out and says that all your answers can be had merely by asking, I come out and say they're wrong. [Smile]

They throw in an "in my opinion," or even an "in my experience," and they won't provoke a response. *grin*

I find it interesting, for example, that Hammer now apparently believes that God may not provide answers to sincere requests in a recognizable format.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I think I was talking more about the thread made in response and the defensiveness about the answers to questions posed here. When Occ did it, he got dogpiled. When KarlEd did it, it was made light, which is much better, but the intention was the same.

I wonder if this is because of the rash of baptisms last year? I know some people were upset, which seems the height of rudeness but is, I suppose, human. There used to be a general hands off approach - "Let the religiosos discuss among themselves." - but it's different now. I was hoping the hostility would go away on its own, but it's been a year now. Time for the pendulum to swing back.

[ April 07, 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Forgive my obtuseness, but I'm not sure what you're talking about. What thread made in response? And what did Occ do for which he was dogpiled that I also did but wasn't? I'm sure I've missed something, which is likely since I've really only be in a couple of threads today. One of them was "Ask me anything".

I'm not feigning anything here, Kat. I might be misreading you, but it seems like I've been called hostile and disrespectful in two separate places and I honestly don't see it. [Confused]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see hostility here, in general.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that when there are two groups fundamentally different in some way who are used to experiencing hostility from the other, hostility may be perceived where there is none.

I don't see hostility here, but I do see people expressing honest opinions and being told that they are somehow wrong. I think the non-believers have received the brunt of it in this thread.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.