FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sometimes Cookie Monster makes Elmo cry

Author Topic: Sometimes Cookie Monster makes Elmo cry
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Not even Cookie Monster is safe from obesity.
quote:
Something must be wrong in the land of Muppets. First PBS announced that "Sesame Street" would kick off its 36th season this week with a multiyear story arc about healthy habits. No problem there; childhood obesity rates are soaring. Then I learned of changes that turned my "Sesame Street" world upside-down.

AP Photo

My beloved blue, furry monster — who sang "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me" — is now advocating eating healthy. There's even a new song — "A Cookie Is a Sometimes Food," where Cookie Monster learns there are "anytime" foods and "sometimes" foods.

"Sacrilege!" I cried. "That's akin to Oscar the Grouch being nice and clean." (Co-workers gave me strange looks. But I didn't care.)

Being a journalist, I did the only thing I knew how to do. I investigated why "Sesame Street" gave Cookie Monster a health makeover.

The answer would lead me into a world where television producers worked with health experts and politicians, a place where Cookie Monster does care about his health, and by association, the health of children.

The first place I headed was the Internet. On the Sesame Street Web site, little had changed. There was Cookie Monster, in all his blue furriness. He was holding a plate of cookies. He was chomping on a cookie. He still looked the same. But as we all know, looks can be deceiving.

So I searched the site for news on Cookie Monster and up popped a press release about the show's "Healthy Habits for Life" emphasis. Buried near the bottom was a one-sentence mention about Cookie Monster eating fewer cookies.

But what did that mean? Scarfing one plateful instead of two?

I picked up the telephone. "What's going on with Cookie Monster?" I asked the "Sesame Street" press office. "Why are you doing this?"

They sent me to Dr. Rosemarie T. Truglio, the show's vice president of research and education.

She said the show changes every year, focusing not just on teaching numbers and letters but also emotional and physical health. With the rise in childhood obesity, Truglio said "Sesame Street" is concentrating on the need to teach children about healthy foods and physical activity.

This season, each episode opens with a "health tip" about nutrition, exercise, hygiene and rest.

Truglio said "Sesame Street" also will introduce new characters, such as talking eggplants and carrots, and offer parodies, such as "American Fruit Stand." Even guest stars will address healthy activities, such as Alicia Keys talking and singing about the importance of physical activity.

Even politicians have gotten into the act, filming public service announcements with "Sesame Street" residents. In one taping, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist taught Elmo to exercise — jumping up and down. In another, Sen. Hillary Clinton and the small red monster discuss the various textures and tastes of foods.

But what about their position on Cookiegate?

"Even Cookie Monster is learning to control his cookie cravings," Frist told me by e-mail. "His sage advice opened our eyes to the simple joys of a tasty cookie and now reminds us that moderation is the key to healthy living."

Cookie Monster was not available for comment. (I'm hoping he hasn't gone too Hollywood.)

"We are not putting him on a diet," said his spokesman, Truglio. "And we would never take the position of no sugar. We're teaching him moderation."

The furry one also plans to try different kinds of cookies (read: healthier cookies) rather than his just staple, chocolate chip.

But will he still scarf his food? Yes, plus the occasional object, Truglio said.

But isn't that unhealthy? Her reply: He's still Cookie Monster.

Cookie Monster appears to be happy with the new "sometimes food" song, because at the end he warbles: "Is sometimes now?"

"Yes," he's told.

So there it is. Cookie Monster still gobbles cookies, he's just a healthier version of his old self. His eyes are still googly, his fur is still scruffy and he's still messy.

Even "Sesame Street" recognizes that we all need guilty pleasures.

Source

[ April 08, 2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged ]

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for cookie monster!

I will now have a "sometimes" cookie in his honor.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Suddenly I long for chocolate chip cookies... Chips Ahoy which I have not had in a long time.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bloody outrage.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
[EDITED]

[ April 07, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CookieMonster
Member # 7238

- posted      Profile for CookieMonster           Edit/Delete Post 
I had no intention of giving up my cookies. I'm calling my agent.

C is for Cookie [Razz]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's hysterical. Kids don't eat cookies because the cookie monster tells them too, they eat them because there sugary and addictive. And besides doesn't the fact that the cookie monster's name is MONSTER show that the show is trying to get kids to avoid eating sweets as it is?

[ April 07, 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan K. ]

Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it's a lot harder for a puppet to eat a leaf of lettuce than a cookie. Lettuce doesn't crumble right.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] That's silly. Though, I guess if "sometimes" is always "now" they're really just teaching creative calorie counting, which is a very good skill to have...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
That's like having Count Von Count count only to 3 from now on.

Try to use a sentence with more 'counts' so close together. I dare ya. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you count how many "counts" I use and tell me if I have more counts than your sentence about Count Von Count's counting?

[Angst] that word is starting to look/sound really weird now...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter: Have they ever shown him doing somebody in and then feeding on him?
Brian: You're asking if they've ever done a Sesame Street in which the Count kills somebody and then sucks their blood for sustenance.
Peter: Yeah.
Brian: No, they've never done that.
-family guy

Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have words to say how outrageous this is.
*grumbles*

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
He eats cookies. It is genetic make-up. Should we put a cow on a no carb diet, just because it is the latest rage? Should a tiger get more fiber?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Nooooo no no no no noooooooo!

Please, please, please don't turn the Cookie Monster into Barney, who claims that carrots are tastier than cakes! Blah!

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Truglio said "Sesame Street" also will introduce new characters, such as talking eggplants and carrots
So, why is it that kids won't eat vegetables unless they believe that those vegetables are capable of intelligence? Does Sesame Street have a cannibalistic agenda?

Whoa. It all makes sense now.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there another thread on this topic?

I remember posting on one, but I can't find it.

[Confused]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You might be thinking of Chris Bridges' Sesame Street gangland shooting article?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

No. Maybe it was on a different forum, but I can't seem to find it.

Somebody (Jay?) was commenting on how this was an absurd extension of political correctness, and I called into question the use of the term in this context.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not outrageous. It's wonderful. Way too many children are obese and don't get enough exercise. Why not have Sesame Street encourage healthy living? They encourage education with other things. So why not?

I think it's great, especially because they're pushing moderation. Cookie Monster still gets cookies! Yay for him.

It would be a lot easier for many of us, I think, if we learned healthy habits when we were young.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

Yea but the cookie monster is a classic character.
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

Ah. Found it. [Smile]
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a parent, so I don't have experience in the matter, but is it really that hard for parents to stop buying sweets for their kids? Until I see the Cookie Monster walking around my neighborhood handing out cookies, I'll think it's rather silly to change his character to be a healthier eater when it's the parents who have to change their children's eating habits anyway.

[ April 08, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Uhleeuh ]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why not have Sesame Street encourage healthy living? They encourage education with other things. So why not?

They already do! They encourage playing, dancing, running, hopping, and other physical activities; they have always had segments about veggies, fruits, how they're grown, how good they are for you, and that you should eat them.

I think it's sad that anyone sees the need to change Cookie Monster because parents can't teach their kids moderation and set firm limits. [Roll Eyes] My dad always told us yes or no depending on whether it was an appropriate time and whether we'd really eaten healthily lately when we asked for cookies or ice cream, and explained that "Every food is good to eat, but some foods are not as healthy as others. It's okay to eat cookies and ice cream and cake, but we also need to eat all the other good foods that are around. If we eat plenty of good foods like fruit and vegetables and rice and bread and meat, and are still hungry or would like a treat, it's okay to eat a little bit of a good food like ice cream or cookies, we just have to make sure that's not all we eat." If that was every parent's philosophy, and they all cooked at home like both of my parents did, I think we would have a lot more healthy eaters and a lot less obesity.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Cookie Monster is not the problem. It's grandmothers.

I saw my MIL slip my 6 month old niece some chocolate pudding she had hidden in the back of the fridge when my sister in law left her to babysit.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Chocolate before one year! [Angst]

Yeah, my mother-in-law gave Emma some chunks of Airheads last time we were over there. Eh, they weren't small enough to choke her, so I didn't freak.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
NEWS FLASH: Today in New York City is the site of another mass murder. One C. Monster, apparently distraught over his new low-carb diet, went beserk and started attacking residents of his neigborhood.

"He just went nuts" said long time resident Bert. "He grabbed Ernie and bit him. He crumbled him like a chocolate chip cookie and swallowed him whole."

Ernie's last words were reportedly a cryptic "Run Rubber Ducky, Run."

Another neighbor, Oscar T Grouch was reported saying, "Yeah, he was a monster, know what I mean. You never know when them monsters are going to crack and go gonzo all over the neighborhood."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Why do you have to bring Gonzo into this? He never did anyhting wrong!
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
As if Gonzo would slum on the Street.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't get this.
He's Cookie Monster. Cookie freakin' Monster.

He eats cookies. That's what he does. That's what he is. It's his schtick. It's his name.

Big Bird does not apologize for being big, or occasionally recommend smallness to people. Oscar the Grouch does not compliment strangers because that's a nicer way to act. Dr. Teeth does not -- I repeat, does not -- go around with his mouth closed.

Is there any way for me to get DVDs of pre-Elmo Sesame Street to give to my child so I don't have to expose her to this crap?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

But if Elmo were only sometimes obnoxious, would you think the change was a good idea?
Member # 7476

As if they haven't changed my beloved Sesame street enough. In Japan Elmo cries
quote:
Elmo has undergone something of a metamorphosis in Japan.

Sure, he still has his fuzzy red look, falsetto voice and hearty laugh in Japan's first local production of "Sesame Street." But unlike the Elmo loved by generations of American children, this Muppet wastes little time teaching reading or arithmetic.

In Japan, known for its reserve, Elmo is all about feelings.

"We're going for a deeper kind of character with a wider range of emotions," said Yasuo Kameyama, one of the local producers who works on the show with New York-based Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit organization behind "Sesame Street."

The educational show has enjoyed more than 35 years of success in the United States by delivering fun-filled preschool learning. And so Elmo's job was to teach basic learning like the alphabet and counting. But in Japan, where the literacy rate stands at 100 percent and children are sent regularly to cram schools, the "Sesame Street" that started last fall is designed to be more emotional.

Japan's Elmo cries more easily than the U.S. version. The American Elmo wept only once during the entire "Sesame Street" history, when a goldfish died, but Elmo has already had one bout of tears in the Japanese production — when a friend left without saying goodbye — and more are planned.

You can find the rest of the article here

[ April 08, 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged ]

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Buried near the bottom was a one-sentence mention about Cookie Monster eating fewer cookies.

But what did that mean? Scarfing one plateful instead of two?

quote:
"We are not putting him on a diet," said his spokesman, Truglio. "And we would never take the position of no sugar. We're teaching him moderation."
Dr. Truglio needs to rethink her position. All she is doing is enabling the Cookie Monster. No monster can successfully return to a moderate level of cookie consumption after eating them to excess. Completely abstaining from cookie products is the only way to avoid a life of obesity. If they really cared about the Cookie Monster, they would send him to a rehabilitation program based on the twelve steps rather than helping him destroy his future.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, but can I eat cookies when I am with the cookie monster?
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, that's so mean! Eating cookies in front of the cookie monster when he can't have any anymore! [Cry]

[ April 09, 2005, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Katarain ]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, y'know, it is first and foremost an educational show...

More to the point, this is nothing new, neither the situation nor the hysterical adult reactions to same. Does nobody else remember the hue and cry about Cookie Monster rapping about vegetables in the '80s?

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Even before that, there was a Cookie Monster doll. It spoke when you pulled its string, and said (at random) one of five phrases. One was, "Me love vegetables." (The others, IIRC, were, "Me give you biiiig hug," "Cookies! Yum, yum!" "Chocolate chip is me favorite," and . . . uh . . . *draws a blank*)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and more are planned.

DUN dun duuuuuun.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.