FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There are 615,500 words in the English language...

Author Topic: There are 615,500 words in the English language...
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
. . . and none of them can describe the awesomicity of this video.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's all the words there are? We need to invent more!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's some debate as to the number of words in the English language, especially when you get into the realms of medical and technical terms. Some people estimate that the English language has a grand total of 2 million words in it, more than twice the lexicon of the language that comes in second.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That has to be a trick of some sort. Like the Lebron James commercial where he makes all the full court shots. That's insane.

And whatever happened to the 1984 Orwellian killing of words. Streamline the English dictionary, don't expand it.

I really can't imagine there's only that few many words. Americans talk so much, we have to of made up more than that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
"Fake" is the one word I'd use to describe it.

But someone obviously put a lot of work into it, and it looked cool.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, after doing a little research, it looks like 615,500 is the number of words included in the OED, which probably is a pretty good estimate of how many words actually exist. There are also an estimated 500,000 technical terms, so my 2 million was a bit (understatement) high.

However, that's still a huge number when you consider that suspected second-place German only has about 185,000 words and that French has fewer than 100,000, even including English borrowings!

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Wow. I could have sworn there were more!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked Jeeves, and he told me that the Oxford English Dictionary, which is the largest one which includes the standard, non-technical lexicon, has approx. 290,000 entries and aprox. 615,500 word forms (e.g. mouse, mice, mousiness, mousy, awesomicity [Smile] ). I'm too lazy to re-look-up the link to verify me, but if anyone cares to, have at it.

Edit: apparently, Brinestone already has.

[ April 08, 2005, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Brian J. Hill ]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ACD
Member # 7763

- posted      Profile for ACD           Edit/Delete Post 
The The Global Language Monitor web site estimates there is 859,096 words in the English language as of Thursday, April 7, 2005 9:21 PM.

Check out the "The English Language WordClock".

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
France is the only country that I know of that has a Government sponsored body to protect the integrity of their language.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
We're still letting the French BORROW words? Isn't it about time we started CHARGING them?

Oh, sure, we have a lot of formerly French words, but THEY INVADED ENGLAND and FORCED their feelthy words on our linguistic forebears. They just BORROW ours - and don't give them back, you can be sure.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I like this Uncle Orson guy. We should keep him around.

[ April 08, 2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that "awesomicity" is not a word in English.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
It should be.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Supposably.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I hate that. And I'm not a grammar nazi.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but what about that last shot? Was the Chihuahua going through the net?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure it was faked.

But I AM sure that each shot took more than one Take =)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, really, I could do that too, if I wanted to.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

quote:
I'm pretty sure that "awesomicity" is not a word in English.
Right. It was, like, a joke. You know, because none of the words in the English language could describe this video, so I made up a totally new word, kinda like William Shakesp . . . never mind.

No one gets my unique brand of humor! No one understands me! [Cry] [/angst]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Brian, I got it [Smile] .
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
That has to be fake.

Doesn't it? [Angst]

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I think it's fake. I'm not sure you could hit a basketball with a skateboard with that much force, let alone accuracy.
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its real, and that those guys need to find another hobby, or a job, or something to occupy themselves, because it would take a lot of time to 'learn' how to make each of those shots, though I couldn't tell if it was the same guy everytime.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.