FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Pope's funeral...John Paul the Great

Author Topic: The Pope's funeral...John Paul the Great
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
...is about to start. Just an hour away. And I've just been banished from the room with the cable TV. *sigh* Shame it's on so late. I wonder if the networks will show it tomorrow afternoon? Probably just snips.

Maybe I can go over to a friend's house and watch it there. [Smile]

[ April 08, 2005, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
No luck on a late night friend...
Looks like NPR and the BBC are my friends.
Bring on the Cardinals!

And it looks like the BBC website has a live video feed! Rock on!

[ April 08, 2005, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

WOW.

It's 7am and I haven't gone to bed.
The Requiem Mass was so beautiful...I can't even discribe it. The crowd broke all tradition and cheered! Several times! And then the Eastern Orthodox priests and reps came to offer their rituals and prayers. WOW. Unification really seems possible.

And at the end, after the Cardinals filed into the Basilica, they marched the Pope's coffin up to the great door...turned him around to face the people... and everybody goes bananas! Chanting for John Paul II to be made a Saint...right then and there.

Wow...

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Can a Pope be a saint?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, of course, several of them are.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
My consolations to Mrs. Paulus.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Leadership
Member # 7766

- posted      Profile for The Leadership   Email The Leadership         Edit/Delete Post 
If John Paul II does get sainted it will make OSC right. He did it in "The Polish Boy".

The Leadership

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Leadership
Member # 7766

- posted      Profile for The Leadership   Email The Leadership         Edit/Delete Post 
If John Paul II does get sainted it will make OSC right. He did it in "The Polish Boy".

The Leadership

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night my six month old daughter woke me up at 3 am. She hasn't done that in a long time. She kept me up for 45 minutes, and the only thing on TV was the Pope's funeral. I think I caught the part with the Eastern Orthodox clergy, which I thought was cool. Still, my daughter found it quite dull, and went back to sleep. Thank goodness.

I thought plain-ish wooden coffin was kind of cool.

I also had to laugh at the way the wind was whipping all the clergymen's robes and trappings around. There were even a couple of gofer types who were assigned to stand behind the more heavily draped participants and smooth their robes back down when they got too out of hand.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm a little confused on what a saint is then. I thought they were folks deemed to have been close enough to Christlike to get to intercede for the rest of us.

If the Pope is the guy who best represents God's love for us here on earth, wouldn't that make sainthood a bit redundant? I don't know. I guess I thought either they all would be or none of them would.

Ok, from Morbo's spiffy link to the Catholic Encyclopedia I think I see the difference. The Pope is the guy in charge of Rome. Since Rome is the center of the Church, he's in charge of the Church. Saints are folks who lived really special lives and are now declared to be God's friends and servants in Heaven. (Several Popes were also Blessed, which are like Saints but only to one area, not the whole Church. I'm a little fuzzy on that, but there's apparently an important difference.)

Some things I thought were cool. There have been 265 Popes in the Church's history. The Pope right after Peter was Linus, which explains a few things about Peanuts. The 28th Pope was Caius, also called Gaius. He was the Pope from 283 to 296 and died before a large persecution started. Makes me wonder about Gaius in Battlestar Galactica. The first thirty-five Popes were all Saints. It must have hurt to be Liberius, the first Pope to not be a Saint. On the other hand, in the last hundred years, we've had one Saint and a Blessed as Pope. Just some things I thought were neat.

[ April 09, 2005, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: AvidReader ]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.