FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BB Gun at School

Author Topic: BB Gun at School
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
BB Gun at School
So I heard this one on the news this morning. I guess it was never taken out of the car or anything. What the heck? So is this taking the zero tolerance thing a little bit off the deep end?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
No, this is taking zero tolerance over board:

Some elementary school girl in my school district (I was in high school at the time) brought the lunch that her mother made for her to school. Her mother had accidentally switched her own lunch with her kid's; well the mother always brought a very small knife in her lunch to cut her apple with. So when the girl opens her lunch she finds the knife, gets surprised and nervous, and immediately walks over to the teacher in charge. She was suspended on zero tolerance policy for bringing a knife to school.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

- posted      Profile for Jane_Lane   Email Jane_Lane         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I used to take swords into school without getting into trouble...

Anyway, what qualifies as a weapon in American schools? Is it knives and guns?

Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can remember the whole ninja throwing star craze. Those things would do way more harm then a BB Gun.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes's example is definitely overboard.

I don't know that the first one is so clear cut.

If this is a kid who does not regularly get into trouble, then the ten day suspension and expulsion is going overboard if the explanation is that he forgot it was in his car, and he never took it out at school, but I think there needs to be a consequence. Maybe a shorter suspension.

The reason we have zero-tolerance policies is that people in authority have a tendency to accept excuses and mitigating circumstances, making our schools and courts impotent. Nobody wants to be "mean." Pretty soon you have people who really do mean to do bad things getting off with creative excuses.

There is a slight contradiction in bemoaning the weakening of our standards for behavior while complaining about mandatory punishments which don't take mitigating circumstances into account. Clearly, the ideal is somewhere in between, but this is an attempt to swing the pendulum back from a dangerous extreme. Most of the reality behind it is not as innocuous as a little girl whose mom accidentally packs a knife in her lunch.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the person doing the interpreting.

Knives of any sort, guns of any sort, things designed expressly to injure - brass knuckles, ASP batons, etc.

I don't know that I'd object to the BB gun issue - even if the weapon itself wouldn't cause much injury and I say much even though I wouldn't want to get shot with one, the sight of something resembling a firearm would send up alert signals, panic students and require the police to be called in. A student or teacher could easily be hurt in the ensuing chaos.

One kid got busted for having a machete in his trunk - mind you, the teen also ran a lawn-care service after hours. Again, just in the realm of overreacting, but not by much.

However, in Macon, Georgia - a student got sent home for wearing, I kid you not, the Star of David.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.