FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where do I go from here?

Author Topic: Where do I go from here?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at another crossroads. I hate these things.

With my illness, my working a job in mental health that involves any sort of direct care would be irresponsible on my part. My moods can't be counted on and it isn't fair to any patient to have to risk their own mental health.

So that jettisons my hopes and current career path on being a clinical social worker.

It also negates being able to successfully finish the MSW. It requires two internships, one 16 hour/week one for two semesters and the other for 24 hours/week for two more semesters. Because I tanked out due to medical issues on the first, I have to repeat it and move to the main campus MSW program, adding another year to my graduation date.

I attempted the shift this semester over to the main campus. It was fairly painless. Yet I found myself bored and not caring anymore. The classwork was easy, somewhat interesting, but it just doesn't apply to what I can do anymore.

I talked to my doctors, I'm taking a medical leave of absence for the rest of this semester.

But I'm stymied. What do I do?

Academics and research is still a possibility. I could get my phd in neuropsych and research and consult.

But then this photography business keeps coming up. I keep getting requests, I keep getting better, and it's a fun, exciting thing for me to do. Talking to many people about it, they're fairly enthusiastic (some VERY enthusiastic) about me being able to have a viable business.

Since I do have my bachelor's, there's positions in the random, regular, every day workforce I could apply for.

And of course, there's always the concern about my illness, and when it decides to tweak out and I leave behind a charred trail of life that has to be sorted out after the fact.

I don't know if I'm fit for working normally. I've quit one job and was fired from another, both related to my illness. They were also related to my inability to take crap from supervisors. I'm generally perceived as some sort of threat, and I become targeted by those who are unsure of themselves in some way (at least, after many talks about this with my shrink, it's what we've come up with).

What do the wise denizens of hatrack think?

Right now, I'm good through June because of a contract research job I have. Through this job, I've learned I'm good at research and very good at writing (the professor in charge of the project loves this). However, the project ends at the end of June.

So?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really tough, Mack, but also exciting.

I would love to see you develop(so to speak) as a photographer, because you sure have a gift.

What about health insurance, does Nate have it at his job? Really, it is my biggest worry for anyone.

Is there a job you could do, like data entry, where you're basically in a cubicle, and no one bothers you much, or is that too confining? Something you could handle that will pay the bills, give you insurance, and give you thinking/working time at the end of the day so you can build your business.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like the contract/research type thing is perfect for you. You are still your own boss, and you aren't stuck at any one thing too long. You can keep up your photography sideline (seems like there are pleny of Hatrack potential weddings) and if you feel comfortable with that as your primary job later, you could do that full time.

I'm probably not much help, though. [Smile]

(((mack)))

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
In a conversation with a former Executive Director of a Non-profit I used to work for:

Me: "Yeah, but I never finished. Oh, well. What do you do with a degree in Art anyway?"

Her: "Run a Non-profit?"

She was an Herbology major....

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
How available are those research jobs? They do sound perfect.
Insurance, insurance, insurance.
I'm gonna keep on saying it.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you enjoy photography enough to make it a career? Moreso than your apparent gift for research and writing?

My concern comes from a general observation that once a hobby takes on the demands of a job, people find they don't like it nearly as much as they thought they did. Certainly not as much as before when it was just a means of relaxing.

I'd consider assembling a portfolio and getting some expert advice, possibly floating a resume and a CD of your work around to interested parties to gauge the viability before you completely change course.

Sorry, I'm fond of my "bird in hand" approach. [Big Grin]

Other than that, good luck in whichever path you choose.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,

With your talents with the camera and writing ability, I would think a job as a Freelance Photojournalist would be the coolest job ever for you. Maybe you could look into jobs with nature or travel magazines. Or, even magazines that focus on hiking and/or snow sports.

Or... you could write a best-selling novel and sell the movie rights [Smile] . (Hey, it could happen.)

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 7528

- posted      Profile for Hammer           Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty heavy stuff to share in a forum. Not knowing you or what your "illness" is I can't offer advice like the others can who seem to know you and your situation well.

First, I'd have to ask if the illness was present when you began your--masters?--program? Did you consider the implications of your illness then?

I ask because if you did and you thought then that you could be successful, then you can be sucessful.

The subjects may be lame, the hours may be intrusive but what about the rewards when you help one human being overcome their challenges which are many in social work??

I do not know of anyone, medical professional, social worker or otherwise who can count on or even plan their moods from day to day. Everyday is different and each of us has a load to carry in life.

My load is in a back pack but that's a story for another day.

As for photography, I don't know your work but it's a highly competitive field. Your friends seem encouraging so if you have a talent, maybe what you should do is become a wedding photogrpaher. Find a place in the US where there are dozens of weddings every day. I know that some people pay $300-900 for the day and sittings.

I met one guy once who started that way and ended up with a beautiful home with a studio and a backyard to die for where he photographed brides etc.

Maybe the best thing to do is follow your heart.

Last: there's an old saying "plan your work then work your plan.

Best to you.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aunty Eem
Member # 7743

- posted      Profile for Aunty Eem   Email Aunty Eem         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey kiddo what about self-employment you rock as a photographer
Posts: 63 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be available later tonight, if you want to talk business.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon--it's a date.

Hammer--I've been doing social work since I got my bachelors in 2002, so I know what it's all about. You can see my photography work at www.madowl.com/gallery if you want.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Do the photography business. You won't have many chances in life to make something of your own like that, seize this one you have.

Research and similar will still be around if you want to go that route later, while if you go into those you may find your photography languishing due to busyness and become unable to move into it as a career.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I say go for a photography business if you can. It shouldn't be hard to get set up - it seems you have the equipment. Do you do your own development?

Major things to consider:

1.) Intellectual property. Do you want to own the copyright if you shoot a wedding? If not, what rights do you want to have to the picture (public display, public display for advertising purposes, copying, distribution, etc.).

2.) Form of business. Do you want to work as a sole proprietorship? LLC? Corporation?

3.) Insurance. Not just if someone trips over your tripod, but what if you somehow destroy the wedding pictures of a client?

4.) Advertising/marketing. Word of mouth will work, but you'll need more than that. You'll have to get in touch with venues, event planners, PR firms, etc.

5.) Taxes. This depends a lot on the form of business, but you'll definitely have to do more work with taxes - at least quarterly payments.

6.) Contract. Our photographer for our wedding clearly didn't use a lawyer to make his, and it showed. Badly. There were protections he thought he was getting that he wasn't getting at all. There are standard forms available - these would be far better than going it alone. At minimum, you'll need to log every mile you drive to deduct those.

7.) Cash flow. This is the lifeblood of your business. You will have to set rates, and will likely start with them too low. You will underestimate costs. You will have trouble getting paid. People will always try to negotiate the price. Handling money from a business is very different than handling personal finances. The principles are the same, but the parts that are difficult are different.

The photojounalist idea would work, too - you've got the right talents for it.

I say go for it. Being your own boss is amazing. And if you don't have to have employees, so much the better. [Smile]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust a law student to be all logical. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Geeze, I am such a wet blanket.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Your photographic work is excellent. Do that. If it scares you and excites you at the same time, then it's probably the right thing to shoot for.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Nah, you aren't. My experience with Bob and Dana's wedding showed me if I could take it or not as an actual job instead of a hobby. I think the large part of my tiredness had to do with my sinus infection (which is still currently making sick and tired).

No wet blanket for you.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey mack - I thought working in the "macro" side of the social work field would allow me to keep my fingers in the pie without too much difficulty for the other concerns . . . but there are still days where I say (yes, even to my boss) . . . "y'know - waitressing was ever so much f***ing easier." Thank god she has a sense of humor.

You have incredible talents and skills, mack - don't limit yourself.

*hugs*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 7528

OK, last word.

Dagonee is right on with the advice of going into business. It always sounds easier than what it turns out to be.

Seriously, where in America do they have the highest number of weddings per captia?? That's a good place to start.

Advertise over a web site since that seems to be where people start looking. In fact, I had a mother and daughter in the library the other day looking at wedding sites.

AND, Mackillian--dang good photography! really, you have a eye for the artistic view. Good quality, nice to look at. Imagine how you could capture that one special moment in time! Do a portfolio and use that to show potential customers.

Research prices in the area and be cheaper if you can.

BTW, some of the captions on those pictures lead me to believe one of the weddings was yours???

You might want to do a cost breakout of how much you need to earn to survive, the cost of materials, printing etc and see if it is doable.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The be cheaper bit is bad advice. The sort of customers a wedding photographer wants are emphatically not those deciding primarily on price.

Set a reasonable price for the quality of your work based on an appraisement of other wedding photographers' prices in the area.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 7528

Of course not Fugu13--they want quality and price.

The word competition is based on the assumption that one company's price is lower than the other with the same quality of product and service. Our beloved government gets tons of bids for every contract they let, the winner is the one that brings best value. That is defined as meets/exceeds the requirements and has the best price.

With the average American wedding costing 20,000 or more, I would think getting good pictures at a reduced cost is best value.

fugu13
Member # 2859

*sigh*

The reason weddings cost so much is because people are willing to pay for quality.

If she focuses on competing on price, she's going to get the nit-pickers and the tightwads out of the crop, which will make it troublesome and annoying to deal with customers. Since she can compete on quality (particularly of customer service), she should, and set market prices. That way she'll get people who are willing to pay to receive quality service.

TMedina
Member # 6649

She can appeal to both ends of the spectrum - particularly until she establishes a reputation and portfolio.

-Trevor

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
mack, like Liz said, tough stuff but exciting.

Good on you. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*shakes head*

I'm a member of a graphic design forum with a large number of successful members. The number one reason many of them cite for struggling to start up (and failing, in some cases) is trying to compete on price.

Graphic design is not wedding photography, but its a very similar market (businesses likewise are, when wise, willing to pay for quality design).

Better to charge what other people are charging. Most business will be word of mouth, and some people will be turned off if they feel you aren't charging an appropriate sum (they'll trust someone more that trusts their own work quality to charge a market price).

Also, there's a reason all those current photographers charge the prices they do -- because that's the market price (range). This is basic economics. If she charges under that range, she'll have a surplus of business, which is bad, and probably won't be making enough per job to cover her expenses and have a decent amount to grow her business and live on (there are only so many potential wedding dates per year, and the prices people are charging are, after all, the market prices).

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
fugu is absolutely right. That's why I said the likely initial error was setting rates too low.

Take quality of pictures as a given. (I know it's not, but the average consumer isn't actually a good judge of this, so count it as a random effect at best.) There's a price level that will be too high unless you have an in with the oh-so-trendy crowd. Assuming that's not the case, then prices will cluster.

What will stand out is flexibility, convenience, and service. We tried to save money on the photographer - we chose to do so by having pictures at the ceremony, not the reception. We did not look for the cheapest, but the one who would not nickel and dime us on copies or permission to post things on the web. He also gave us flexibility - half the pictures were 35 mm, and have were large-format negatives for higher quality.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.