FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » the BEST strategy game ever?

Author Topic: the BEST strategy game ever?
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm desperate for a good RTS game. whats the best one ever? i've played the LOTR battle for middle earth, and i'm considering getting it, unless one of you people convinces me theres a better one out there.
Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want recent ones only, or are you willing to play old classics like Myth II?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Chess. [Wink]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked chess, until I realized it would cause a computerized civilization to blow up the world.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
Rome: Total War
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Medieval: Total War is cool, too.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

• WarCraft III with its expansion are quite good. I imagine you've played it, though.
  • Myth II is a classic. None of that lame resource gathering and tech-building stuff. Equal units for everyone in multiplayer and the best tactician wins.
  • Sacrifice. Kind of wonky-looking, but actually quite ingenious. There are "sides" but you can mix and match among them depending on the path you choose to take through the game.
You specified RTS, but there are a lot of great TBS games out there as well, like Alpha Centauri. Or, more recently, Massive Assault.
Also, I'm thinking of picking up Homeworld 2 -- that is, when I have a properly functioning computer, mine is in need of repair. I played the demo a while back and it was a pretty good time, though it's tough to keep track of everything because it uses all three dimensions extensively.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I enjoyed HomeWorld 1 and 2, but large battles can get complicated fast because of the 3-d aspect and the variety of ships to command.

Which tends to limit tactical effectiveness when you're trying to function on a strategic level with three or four battles exploding at once.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a toss up for me from chooing the Homeworld series and the Total war series.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
The game that introduced me to RTs was Red Alert Command and Conquer. As much as I loved it, I am now into Civ3 Conquests. I would love to play with agroup so we could try the rts mode.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself enjoyed Star Wars: Rebellion. Its a little difficult to learn how to play, but once I did, it was really cool.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Schnikeys, I thought I was the only one here who still plays Star Wars Rebellion. That is truly one of the greatest Real Time Strategies you could get.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
No love for Starcraft? I haven't played that many of the others, but it was more fun than War3 and way better than Red Alert.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Long live the Marines! [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Massive Assault? I'm intrigued. I love Turn based games, both strategic and tactical. Wonder if it'll run on my antiquated POS computer?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in love with the original Starcraft . I like the plot line, which is pretty good I suppose, and the strategy. The newer online game play adaptations of StarCraft is so addictive. I can't play at home but when I have a chance I'm usually up till 3:00 in the morning screaming," I just want to beat this one guy." Then I lose and have to challenge him again. I just love the game.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Fencing.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think any RTS game produced as much of a professional gaming atmosphere as Starcraft did. In Korea it's a national sport. They televise games between the best players and play them in front of crowds. They make the competators dress up in spacy general type uniforms. The best players in the world get sponsers from companies you've heard of, and some of them make six digits a year.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I've also been somewhat drawn off the correct path by Star Wars: BattleFronts for the PS2. I suppose it isn't really a real time strategy game, but I love it. Its especially fun to put a timed mine on Darth Vader's head, Wookies are so handy for that sort of thing.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
hm..homeworld 2 has piqued my interest, because when i looked it up on gamepro.com, i found this lil blurb:

The original Homeworld was a PC landmark, an RTS confined to the boundless depths of space, and the first real-time strategy game to do more with 3D than just model terrain. Unfortunately, the addition of a z-axis meant only budding Ender Wiggins could play (the enemy’s gate is down!). Homeworld 2 does a few key things to make the game feel less like trigonometry homework and more like a game, not the least of which is an insanely welcome targeting circle that snaps to the nearest laser fodder. Individual smallish ships are now automatically grouped in squadrons, while specific portions of larger capital ships can be targeted in precision strikes.

Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Which is fine, if you're just focusing on one battle.

Try doing that in real time with three or four and things get complicated.

-Trevor

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey steve, do you play on battlenet USEAST?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't remember. I haven't done online play in awhile. My home computer is too slow. I can only do it at my friend's house. Basically he sets it up, and I start getting my butt kicked. So, I couldn't tell you. Why do you ask? [Dont Know]
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, cause I play the occasional Broodwar game on USeast, and I figured I'd add you to my friends list.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'll let you know if I ever get a faster computer so I can actually do online play. Until then I'll just play without allies and continue to get slaughtered.

And now- If you'll excuse me for a moment, I have a landmark I need to write. It may take me awhile.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually prefer turn-based strategy to real-time. There have been a few real-time games that I did like, however. They're all older games, and unfortunately won't work on my XP computer. I'm talking about games like Caesar 2 and the original Populous.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Caesar II and III. Love those games. They're games I could ACTUALLY beat.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
War3 is too much micro managing for me. I don't like it stradegy wise... its just best hero wins pretty much. A single well controlled hero can wipe out entire armies.

I love Starcraft and Broodwar still. Its a classic game that will never get old. Seriously. Anyone who isn't in love with that game and claims to like RTS doesn't know what they are talking about. I would rate Starcraft and Broodwar as the best RTS of all time. And, oh god, seeing Koreans play this game is unreal.

Star Wars: Rebellion is so awesome. I love that game. I wasn't able to play it for the longest time cause I'm a mac user, but I play it all the time now that I have a PC. Its so much fun. I wish they'd update it, leave the system the same just give it new graphics and perhaps a slightly better battle system.

The Myth trilogy is excellent. Bungie excels whatever they do and Myth was definately great fun. I never quite got the hang of it to be completely addicted, but I loved it all the same. I didn't quite have the micro for it. Nor the quick thinking, high stradegy brain required.

One of my favorites of all time is X-COM:UFO in the turn based category. That game was so much fun, building bases, researching alien technology and fighting the aliens. Though some of the aliens scared the piss out of me. Yeah, I'm a wimp.

Civ3 is pretty good, as is its predecessor Civ2. Civ Call to Power is down right awful. Don't even consider it. Alpha Centauri was ok, but I got bored with it pretty quickly. The only gripe I have with Civ3 is that time moves too quickly. I never seem to be able to win by culture simply cause I don't have enough time for my civilzations culture to overwhelm my enemies. Even though I get all the cultural improvements and almost all of the wonders, great and small.

I've always hated the age of empires engine with a passion. It sucks. And Star Wars Battlegrounds uses the Age of Empires engine. Yuck.

I recently discovered a new game thats like Myth and Starcraft mixed. Its called Warrior Kings, and its awesome. 3d real time middle ages. The only problem is that you can't play just FFA single player games against computers. Its either campaigns or multiplayer. And you can't have computers in the multiplayer. The campaign is kinda fun, but its tedious and only slowly introduces you to the full range of units you can use in the game. But it follows in the myth tradition in that there is a great deal of stradegy and an inteligently used smaller force can defeat a larger force. However it allows you to build that force, and to build towns and defensive and gather resources and disrupt your enemies resource gathering etc.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I tried the Warrior Kings demo, but found the control scheme kind of awkward...
Alcon
Member # 6645

Yeah, it is kinda a pain, but once you figure it out its not so bad. It grows on you.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've always hated the age of empires engine with a passion. It sucks.
Really? I love Age of Empires II.

Command & Conquer: Generals is a lot of fun. Of course, I've always been more of a fan of the Command & Conquer games than the Warcraft/Starcraft games.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, I just wanted to acknowledge what seems to be a completely unnoticed Wargames reference. Very nice.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

What, my chess reference?

War Games played tic-tac-toe.

Arthur C. Clarke's short story Quarantine dealt with computer civilizations and the addictive nature of chess. Which was the subject of another thread.

Now that you mention it, I wish I had made the reference. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, too bad.

quote:
Joshua: Shall we play a game?
David: Oh!
Jennifer: I think it missed him.
David: Yeah. Weird isn't it? Love to. How about Global Thermonuclear War.
Joshua: Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?
David: Later. Right now lets play Global Thermonuclear War.
Joshua: Fine.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
SC is a great one, classic. Generals is good too. AOEII isnt bad if youve got 3 hours to invest in a single game.

My opinion for the best multiplayer strategy game right now is League Play on Counter Strike Source. This is OSC forum, so everyone should be familiar with the game in battle school.

Its basically the same concept, cept its usually 5v5 or 6v6. You have a team leader who calls the strats and positions, switch sides from Terrorist to Counter Terrorist at half time.

It is a FPS, but position matters, as do feints, distractions rushes etcetera.

If youve got a computer that can run it, Id suggest joining a group that plays.. I play in the clan TGA (True Gaming Alliance), we arent recruiting, but im sure alot of groups out there are.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh - sorry, I'm never, ever that clever.

But thanks for the thought. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Alcon
Member # 6645

I play CS:S a lot, but I play on public servers, where there isn't a whole lot of stradegy. Mostly cause they're too big (32 people regularly packed). All the small servers I find are almost completely bots. And I don't have the time or energy to devote to a clan, practices and timed matches and all that. Just not that into it. But its fun when you do randomly get a team that talks a lot on the larger servers and actually pulls stradegies made up on the spot.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
alcon,

try going to www.truegamingalliance.com

Somewhere on there are our IP addresses.

Also, the CTR clan has a truely wonderful server with custom maps and voting. I actually prefer it to our own server right now because they have all the kinks worked out while we are still dealin with some technical issues on our server.

their website is: http://www.ctrclan.com/ If their server is empty, usually someone will join you within a couple of minutes on there, and then it usually fills up quick.

If you see me, I play as [TGA]TrapperKeeper and usually play on the CTR server in the evenings

[ April 11, 2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: TrapperKeeper ]

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one mentioned Total Annihalation (I'm too lazy right now to think about that word, if its wrong).

I have LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth. Myeh, it's not bad, but it doesn't stand out.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Thanks Trapper, I'll go check em out. I only get to play every other week cause my PC is at my moms house. Kinda puts a crimp in getting very good. I may be on fire one week and two weeks later suck. I play as Alcon (duh [Razz] ) I'll be sure to say hi if I see you [Smile]

I've played TA, I don't like it very much. Too many units and I can't see much differentiation in them. It seems to be basically build the biggest army and go slog your way through your enemies sprawling base. I can find little actual stradegy in it. *shrug* It was fun for a while, but I quickly got bored of it.

[ April 11, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe other people still play Star Wars: Rebellion! I play it all the time, and love it to death. I dont know if I count any of the Total War games as RTS, isn't there a difference between RTS and Turn Based?

Anyway, Shogun: Total War is my favorite. If anyone ever wants to play SW:R I'm totally up for a game!

And

quote:
Star Wars: Rebellion is so awesome. I love that game. I wasn't able to play it for the longest time cause I'm a mac user, but I play it all the time now that I have a PC. Its so much fun. I wish they'd update it, leave the system the same just give it new graphics and perhaps a slightly better battle system.
Wish Granted

This looks like a souped up version of Rebellion. I'm counting down for its release.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Europa Universalis II?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Best RTS ever? I'd say probably Starcraft.

Although it's a toss up between Starcraft, Red Alert, Medieval:Total War and Warcraft 3 for me.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Warcraft is by far my pick. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a difference between RTS and Turn Based Strategy.

Real Time means that you are always constantly moving, always playing at the same time as your foes/allies.

You see this in Warcraft, Star Wars: Rebellion (Ooo I love that game.), Age of Empires, Starcraft, etc.

Turn based is as it says, based around turns.

You see this in Alpha Centauri and chess. ^_^

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, am in favor of WarCraft

that is until StarCraft 2 comes out

[ April 11, 2005, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Mr.Gumby ]

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
You WOULD be, Alex. You would be.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a lot of the games already mentioned, but my vote for best ever is Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns / Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. (AG is basically an expansion pack)

This is RTS that plays on a scale like Civ. There is none of the micromanagement that bogs down the otherwise very fun Blizard games. You group support units like casters directly with a squad and they act independantly and intelligently: Hence no clicking "heal" every 10 seconds on every one of your troops, they cast when they need to on their own.

The only thing I would say it lacks is the clever voiceacting of starcraft or warcraft. Otherwise, the best RTS nobody's ever heard of. Oh, and stay away from Kohan 2, they made it all 3d and sucky.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love Sid Meier's Colonization.

Kinda old school now, but it was well done.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Star Wars Empire At War might be the best ever. I eagerly await it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.