FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Now just a question about how to "View Source"

Author Topic: Now just a question about how to "View Source"
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
#1: Last night I went to this Church of God, which was unlike any church I've ever been to, but there was this guy there that I had a question about. He had this little.. hat.. thing. My sister told me it was Jewish. And he had this scarf-looking thing. Sash? Something? Some lady told me it was a "prayer sash." Then he blew this horn thing! Some guy told me it was a "ram's horn" like someone (i think jacob) blew in the bible. Anyway, is that Jewish? Do Jewish people go to Church of God churches? Do they always have to wear those things on their heads and things around their necks? Aaaand, do they all have those horns? [Dont Know]

#2: On my computer, when I click "View Source," how come it doesn't work? [Grumble]

Your help will be greatly appreciated. [Big Grin]

[ April 10, 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
What page are you trying to "view source" on?

Some pages have coding that can't be viewed with "view source" because of outside coding.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine IE won't let me View Source on any page. I have to use Netscape for that.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

This online journal thing. It used to let me view source. =/
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you use Moziilla or IE?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Yes.. IE. But it's always let me before! *frustrated*

Not with you guys..

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Use Mozilla. It's better [Big Grin] .
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

So, I didn't press a button to mess up my view source? Is there a button I can press to make it work? [Frown]

[ April 09, 2005, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Tater
Member # 7035

so.. no one knows anything?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Church of God sort of like Unitarians, except Jewish as well as Christian?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

I'm afraid I don't know. But there was only one guy with a hat, sash-thing, and horn. There was, however, one other guy with that hat. The guy with the horn waved him down.. with the horn..

Forgive me if it's offensive to call it a "hat." I really wish I knew what it WAS called. :\

[ April 09, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Tater ]

ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
The hat is presumably a yarmulke. When and and by whom it is worn varies from movement to movement.

The prayer shawl is called a tallit. Again, usage varies.

The ram's horn, or shofar, is traditionally only blown on the High Holidays in the autumn, so I can't tell you what's up with that. Perhaps it's a Church of God thing, not a Jewish thing.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good links, ambyr! [Smile] I see you are a fellow CA resident. Welcome to Hatrack!

Tater, a yarmulke is also called a kipah. They can be knitted, suede, or cloth.

There are, as wikipedia mentioned to types of talit (also pronounced talis). A talit katan (small talit) is more commonly referred to as tzitzit (lit. fringes). It looks like this, and is commonly worn under the shirt. A talit gadol (large talit) is what is commonly meant when one refers to a talit, and it looks like this. It is worn primarily during prayer, and is donned over the clothes (and head), like a shawl.

Why was this fellow in a church? [Dont Know]

[ April 10, 2005, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The rabbi at my HS used to wear Mickey Mouse kipahs and I think he also had a crocheted, Rastafarian-colored one. [ROFL]

Rabbi Jay was awesome.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The name Church of God is used by an extremely wide variety of Christian syncretic sects and cults; ranging from sects fairly close to mainline Christianity to the English-language branches of a Brazilian-origin cult (the fastest growing religion in the world) which combines Christian fundamentalism with "Judaic"* garb/rites/symbols/etc with the erm...odder aspects of Moonies, JackChick, NewAge, VonDanikenism, Santeria, Scientology, etc.

For more precise information on the particular church you are inquiring about, use the ApologeticsIndex searchengine on
"Church of God"
The searchengine box is located in the lefthand column, and the search typed in the box can be deleted and replaced with your keywords/phrases.
The site has its own biases, but the contributors are also rather obvious about them.

In recent memory, (a version of) the Church of God made headlines when seven of its members were murdered during church services in a hotel conference room. Which gave excuse for the NRA and similar organizations to converge upon the state to lobby for the "right" of everyone to carry concealed weapons at all times; including into bars, schools, and churches.
And I think that
Before that, (a version of) the "Church of God" was made infamous by a preacher who beat children as part of the worship services.
Before that, a preacher of (a version of) the "Church of God" killed a child during "exorcism" to rid him of a psychiatric condition.
In other words, there are one heck of alotta preachers running a "Church of God" which may or may not have anything to do with the various Church of God sects and cults described at the ApologeticsIndex site.

* Had to use "Judaic" in quotations cuz the borrowings are more imaginative ala Cecil B.DeMille than actually resembling the garbs/etc of Jewish culture&history.

[ April 12, 2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW: Don't make a habit of deleting threads unless the topic is extremely personal -- as in person-to-person(s) -- or the thread has become an ongoing vituperative flamewar that you don't want to continue under your name.

Under most circumstances, postings are written (and possibly researched) for the audience of posters&lurkers beyond one person. And the thread originator provides only the incentive to converse, along with his/her own contributions to the conversation.

[ April 10, 2005, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Okay, I won't delete it. I just didn't want to take up space for a couple of questions. Hmm.

So, how do I pronounce yarmulke? :\

And.. the computer question.. any takers?
Still won't let me view source.

Oh, and thanks, everyone. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say it like this; but I've also heard people say it like this.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

I think I'll go with the first one. Thanks [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.