FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Possible Kansas clump gathering?

Author Topic: Possible Kansas clump gathering?
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
There has been some discussion on another thread about having a Kansas clump get together. I thought it would be a good idea to give this topic its own thread so we can get everyone that's interested participating in the discussion. Let's find out how many would like to do this and go from there.

I'm certainly enthusiastic about the idea and am hopeful we can get this ball rolling.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested, but I have yet to think of any good ideas. Count me in, though.

EDIT: I've got a full day of work, so I'll check back here tonight.

[ April 10, 2005, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Tstorm ]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on date, possible.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cosmosphere is always fun.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Yes, the Cosmosphere is awesome. Good idea.

So what do my fellow Kansas Jatraqueros like to do for fun?

Farmgirl, do you know of anything interesting in the Wichita area?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I'd like to suggest that we meet close to the KC/Topeka/Lawrence area. We haven't heard from Kayla, Farmgirl, Ivygirl or Babager yet. I'd like to get their feedback. Kayla, are you interested, and if so, what would work best for you? What dates look good to everyone? I'm looking at later in the summer rather than earlier. June is pretty swamped for me.

[ April 11, 2005, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, naturally I want all of you to gather at the Wakarusa Music Festival, the weekend of June 18th, not having a clue how far it is from any of you.

http://www.wakarusa.com/

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Either the Topeka or KC zoo would be fun to visit with a bunch of Hatrackers. The Topeka zoo is much smaller, and could be more easily wandered through, but if I were a captive animal I'd want to be in the KC zoo over the Topeka zoo (although the Topeka zoo's tropical rain forest is always cool).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

bump
sexy_aaron
Member # 7312

- posted      Profile for sexy_aaron   Email sexy_aaron         Edit/Delete Post 
lol Kansas.
Posts: 78 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

lol sexy?aaron
sexy_aaron
Member # 7312

- posted      Profile for sexy_aaron   Email sexy_aaron         Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't believe how sexy I am.
Posts: 78 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone from western Kansas on Hatrack? I live further west, but I work about 2 hours west of Topeka.

Just wondering.

August becomes very busy for me. I am changing job descriptions.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I actually don't care how sexy you think you are.
Noemon
Member # 1115

What are you going to start doing screechowl?

There is a new member on the other side that says that he's in LaCrosse, in answer to your question.

screechowl
Member # 2651

I am taking a different job in the same school district. Also, I am taking some more graduate classes.

I must be nuts. [Wink]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
So, June is busy, August is busy. How about July?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Screech, you're a liberal in Kansas. Crazy is a given.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

I'll vouch for him, he is indeed nuts. [Smile]

But he's got my best wishes because I think he can do it.

July works for me but so does pretty much any month. I'm flexible. I'll reiterate that I'm in Mission, KS (suburb of KC) and quite willing to travel for this adventure. I can get pretty much any date off with advance notice.

Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah, I'm pretty open. I was just thinking that punwit had a busy June, screechowl had a busy August and after, so July would be good.

There's a three-day weekend over the 4th. I don't know what y'all do for the Fourth. I don't know where there are good displays in Kansas.

(St. Louis had an incredible display for a while, but I heard they stopped having the VP fair because it was racist. Gee, yuh think? The veiled prophet? Somehow related to the Klan? Get outta here. [Roll Eyes] Not that I ever had a pleasant experience. One year some guy standing next to me was shot and the next a knife fight broke out right where I was set up to take pictures. And people wonder why I don't like crowds.)

Anyway, the point being, I'm skittish that weekend anyway. (Why drunken yahoos are allowed to have explosives is beyond me, but my son loves it. The fireworks, not the drunken yahoos.) We could BBQ and light things on fire and watch me shake. It's always entertaining for my family, though I wondering about how it will work this year. We've never had so many large, (very large), trees. There is an empty lot katty-korner to us though.

But like I said, I'm pretty much always free.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Ya know, I saw the display at Corporate Woods here in KC last year, and it was nice. Crowded, though. [Frown] Salina did have a nice display, though I'm sure it doesn't compare to larger cities. (Side note, I helped setup the Salina show one year. Oh, and I got good pictures, too.)
Kayla
Member # 2403

Okay, a little research shows that they still have the Fourth celebration, but they changed the name in 1995 to "Fair St. Louis" and is the largest Independence Day celebration in the country, attracting millions from all over the country, though down to only a couple of million from a high of about 4 million when I was going.
screechowl
Member # 2651

July 4 might be possible. I cannot speak for my wife, however.

Most I can probably do is like an overnight.

Other weekends are possible too in July.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier and I might be able to make it. We live in Omaha, NE.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

We normally have lots of family stuff over that weekend so I'd vote for not that weekend. Of course if the majority would prefer the fourth I'll just have to make do. I'd prefer the following weekend. We'd love to have you, Val and Xavier. What looks best for you two?
Tstorm
Member # 1871

By the powers invested in me as a Jatraquero, I hereby summon forth this thread from the tombs of page 28.

Also, it's May, and time for planning anything this summer is quickly running out.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.