FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oblique Philosophy

Author Topic: Oblique Philosophy
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I made up the following philosophical statement:

quote:
Man sees not the entire sphere of truth really; rather, he sees only his limited circle, attempting to peek round the corners from what he is sure be his square of the cube.
Does anyone but me understand it? I need it to be condensed and subtle.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest that you not commingle sphere and cube. Perhaps something like:

quote:
Man sees not the entire sphere of truth really; rather, he sees only his limited circle, attempting, but hampered, in his ability to peer beyond the horizon and view truth in its totality.

[ April 10, 2005, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stark
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for Stark   Email Stark         Edit/Delete Post 
How about 'Truth is subjective'?
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
How stark!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, punwit! But that's a different statement.

Man simply thinks that truth has a few sides, and that peering around his "side" of it will let him know the circumference, thus digging in.

But truth is a sphere, and you're only looking at what's really a circle. So you "plant" the sides near it! Truth is a sphere, the ultimate body of monotonicness. You'll never remember where you are, because it all appears to be the same. Only by studying true philosophy, can one get over the misconception that truth is a cube!

JH

P.S. "Truth is subjective" is only a sublet. But that's where I developed the statement from.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stark
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for Stark   Email Stark         Edit/Delete Post 
So then you're saying that truth is subjective, our perception is our truth, so perception is subjective? This is all part of that "I think therefore I am" thing. Whereas we all know we exist that's about all that is certain, the rest is a fabricated imprint of our surroundings so that we may orient ourselves.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Lost you, Stark!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Man sees not the entire sphere of truth really; rather, he sees only his limited circle, attempting to peek round the corners from what he is sure be his square of the cube."

It's more than a bit pretentious, JH. Your use of "be," for example, is like something a pirate trying to pass himself off as an Oxford grad might say.

And I've warned you before about crap like "sees not."

More importantly: while I tried to write a revision, I quickly got lost in the metaphor. Truth is a sphere, but any given man sees only a circle. That's fine. But then his circle is actually a square, with corners? And he extrapolates therefore that reality is a cube?

There's a problem here: all this shape imagery isn't meaningful, and it's rather muddied. (Does a man, for example, see a square or a circle?)

I think that what you're saying boils down to a combination of "L'enfer, c'est les autres" and "we can't all see the big picture." But those are both perfectly good ways of wording this concept, and they're already rather famous.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My own variation on your quote:

quote:
So many demand to be understood. So few dare to understand.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
How's this, "Vision is limited. Reality is not."

edit:(I suppose that would work better the other way around.But who knows, Maybe both ways work.)

[ April 10, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea is pretty simple once it's cleared of all the convoluted language. But even after you boil it down, it's still all been done before. *Yawn*
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
It's more than a bit pretentious
Welcome to the world of philosophers that came between Plato and today, with th three exceptions of DeCartes, Hume and Kant.

quote:
Your use of "be," for example, is like something a pirate trying to pass himself off as an Oxford grad might say.
Hey, don't start calling me a pirate because of my software issues with Microsoft. I am sure there are many like that in Oxford!

quote:
And I've warned you before about crap like "sees not."
I do not recall your threat.

quote:
There's a problem here: all this shape imagery isn't meaningful, and it's rather muddied. (Does a man, for example, see a square or a circle?)
As, that's where the subtle secret lies. The man actually sees a circle, but in his eyes it is a square. His misconceptions get him to place all those corners and sides - to simplify the shape.

He knows, then, that the entire truth is a 3-dimentional shape, but he only then "sees" it as a cube. Truth, infact, is a sphere, but again - he does the oversimplification.

quote:
L'enfer, c'est les autres
French.

quote:
we can't all see the big picture
Yet, it is beyond that. It is the way we act regarding the big-picure, and how things occur on two levels.

quote:
So many demand to be understood. So few dare to understand.
Here's someone who knows what to do with his time. [Wink]

quote:
Vision is limited. Reality is not.
Another sublet.

quote:
The idea is pretty simple once it's cleared of all the convoluted language.
I'm seeing something beyond. So ither I'm not able to simplify it, or my text is too oblique to show it.

JH

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the source, may I point out the obvious, that the emperor has no clothes? [Wink]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to the world of philosophers that came between Plato and today, with th three exceptions of DeCartes, Hume and Kant.
Er, why would you say this? And why randomly chose these three?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I forgot to add Aristotle to the list.

Because... Philosophers are pretentious? Except for those four, virtually all the rest went to flamboyance in order to explain their stuff. "God is dead, and we killed Him!" Sure, those people were smart, and often geniuses, but even Ptolemais was a little prtentious and overconfident. It's just something that happens! Pompous, verbose language that they use when it's unneccesary!

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Your saying reminds me of a definition of truth I discovered a few months ago while idling in the library waiting to get online
quote:
Giambattista Vico is famous for his concept of truth as an act, verum factum.
http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Giambattista_Vico

This is a limited definition of truth, but surprisingly useful. It avoids the pitfalls of logic that Cartesian phenomenalism and other more abstract philosophies fall prey to.

Ironically, Vico was vehemently against using geometric abstractions in philosophy and rhetoric:
quote:
Vico argues, modern education suffers unnecessarily from ignoring the ars topica (art of topics) which encourage the use of imagination and memory in organizing speech into eloquent persuasion. The result, Vico argues, is an undue attention to the "geometrical method" modeled on the discipline of physics, and an emphasis on abstract philosophical criticism over poetry. This undermines the importance of exposition, persuasion, and pleasure in learning; it "benumbs...[the] imagination and stupefies...[the] memory" (
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/vico/#1
One more Vico link

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, you can say it like that, then. But here's the problem: analogies are more powerful when they make obvious sense, and there's no reason given in your example for why the man, seeing his little circle, sees it as a square. You're going to need to expand upon that -- or come up with a different analogy -- to explain why man can't even see his own little circle correctly.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So ither I'm not able to simplify it, or my text is too oblique to show it.
The way I read it, this is what you're saying: Man lives in a three-dimensional sphere, but sees a two dimensional circle, but he thinks he sees a scquare, and so thinks he lives in a cube. Is this right? Or are you "beyond" that?
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you're being pretentious for the sake of being "mysterious" or "cool".
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Correct, but each shape represents something. Remember that there's the dual relationship between square-cube, circle-sphere, and square-circle, cube-sphere.
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Decartes is spelled Descartes
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I always had that conflict. Thanks, JK.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.